The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Kockov- The DVD Set (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicoStu
View Profile
New user
UK
17 Posts

Profile of MagicoStu
Hi Guys

Well before I begin a review of this 2 disc set I would like to explain that I am also a personal friend of Vladimir Dimitri Kockov (aka Jasper Blakeley) However my decision to review was to also offer an insight into the mind and world of this performer.

Titles: Plunge of Death & Dial-Abolical by Kockov

Format: DVD

Cost: £14.99 each

Rating: 9/10 as effects will need some time to make up

WARNING: NOT SUITABLE FOR ANYONE UNDER THE AGE OF 18

Plunge of Death

Description: This DVD features his heart-stopping 'Plunge of Death' routine, as well as a special bonus - performance and explanation of his reputation-making 4 gun finale, 'Real Live Russian Roulette'.
Not only will you be stunned by Jasper's fantastic performance as the outrageous Kockov, you will also be very pleased to know that these practical, professional routines will fit straight into any magic or mentalism show, regardless of your style of presentation. His brand of creativity features low-tech methods and high-impact effects, allowing the performer to do his job: entertain a paying audience.
The man, the magic, the mullet - Kockov !

Review: Firstly, a little review on the character. Jasper has developed this alter ego over the last 5 years and he has quite simply created a very profitable show and deservedly so. If you are looking to develop an act with a unique performance then a lot can be learned from his performance style, however the character does let go with a few unchoice words but naturally these do not need to be included!

My thoughts: Plunge of Death is my favourite as this effect is very easy to make up. The effect is Jaspers version of the few effects that can be purchased based on the hidden nail/spike under cups effect but the difference here is that the items in this DVD can be purchased for under £15. Nothing too original with the performance apart from this method being the comical Kockov way. The bonus on the DVD includes half of Kockovs full show and there is another section where you will see a great performance of his Russian Roulette, again nothing original but the items used along with the music and timing make this effect full of suspense. Jasper also explains his method of how he selects the audience members to select the numbered guns.

Dial-Abolical

Description: This DVD features his incredible 'Dial-Abolical' routine, an unbelievable Phonebook mind-reading effect. As a special bonus he also performs and explains the full working of his sensational blindfolded 6-person book test using 6 ordinary books.
Not only will you be stunned by Jasper's fantastic performance as the outrageous Kockov, you will also be very pleased to know that these practical, professional routines will fit straight into any magic or mentalism show, regardless of your style of presentation. His brand of creativity features low-tech methods and high-impact effects, allowing the performer to do his job: entertain a paying audience.

My thoughts: Dial-Abolical is an amazing effect, I saw this effect quite a few times and my ideas on the method were way out!! This is a magician fooler without a doubt and I guarantee that if you put the effort into this effect as Jasper has then just pray that this DVD does sell that well as you will be performing a masterpiece. There will be some work involved but a little time and minimal cost will be well worth it, a perfect closer to any stage routine as you can use any phonebook which means that as an added bonus you could order the local phone book of the town/city you are performing in before hand.

I am genuinely disappointed that I now know how this effect is done but again like many great effects this is such a simple idea!!

Again this DVD has a bonus of seeing the other half of the live show which includes an EXTRA Special bonus of the performance and explanation of Jaspers booktest, using multiple ungimmicked books, this is worth the price of the DVD. Sorry tried not to say that phrase but it really is.

Summary: Great performance from a very funny performer, however this character is very unique but the gags are very stealable. Plunge of Death will save you pounds on the marketed spike/nail under cup effects and Dial-Abolical is an absolute gem.

Downside is that the effects will need to be made up yourself.

Regards

Stuart
http://www.livemagic.co.uk
music
View Profile
Special user
627 Posts

Profile of music
But why is he smelling his fingers? (see the picture at hocus pocus...funny)
CinChiller
View Profile
Elite user
Germany
404 Posts

Profile of CinChiller
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 22:31, music wrote:
But why is he smelling his fingers? (see the picture at hocus pocus...funny)

I don´t think this is the final question. Smile

Why is the performer blindfoldet during a booktest? And there are also some other questions I asked myself while I watched the 2 dvd´s.

The character created by Jasper Blakeley is nice and funny. A little bit too realistic and dislikable, but for 2 or 3 effects it´s an interesting character (I can´t imagine to watch a complete show with this character).

The effects:
As allready mentioned, nothing original or new, just a variation of well known principles. It´s right that these principles are low tech and cheap in price, but this is not the main important point for me.

The booktests:
A spectator comes with a box, locked by a 3 diget number lock. The spectator names a 3 diget number, but it´s not the number to unlock the number lock. So the lock will be open by kockov - not very logical or entertaining, but anyway...
The content of the box is a telephone book and now the spectator open the book at that number he named before. Meanwhile kockov blindfolds himself, takes a board and a marker and begins to write someting - of course it´s the first number of the page, the spectator named before.

The other variation realized with the same principle is a booktest with a bunch of ungimmicked books. Within this routine the spectators should open the page that correspond with the age of the test person. kockov is blindfolded again and begins to reveal different words from these books. The most interesting point here is, that he doesn´t reveal always the first or last word. He reveals words from different positions within the books. But also in this routine I asked myself, why to be blindfolded during thr revalation of the words? I know the answer, but not a normal thinking spectator, because it makes no sense, it´s illogical.

There are many good booktests on the market, but this variation is definitely not one of them, because of its illogical but necessary use of the blindfold.

The russian roulette:

Also 2 variations of this kind of effect.
The first verion is realized with some plunges as base for the nail or screw. The method is obviously and nothing special.
The "fun factor" could fit to kockov or any other comedy mentalist, but is it worth to produce a dvd for this idea? I don´t think so.

The version with the guns is sadly also obscure like the booktests.
The guns are presented to the audience, mixed up and numbered. After that the spectators choose a numberchip out of bag. The first 3 chosen numbers will be tested with the gun, the last number is the loaded weapon.
Sorry, but neither the presentation, nor the principle behind that effect is convincing.
The music during the presentation is bothersome and the complete routine isn´t very thrilling.
The principle is bold and obvious and in my eyes no improvement of existing methods.

The bottom line is, a dissapointing set of dvd´s with nothing original, new or better. Just the character "kockov" has an entertaining note, but this wasn´t the reason why I bought these dvd´s.

I like the british humor. I like John Archer and Mell Mellers very, very much who demonstrate that mentalism can be funny, but I´m sorry to say that these dvd´s are not "the big deal".
The Gaff Book Collection - the right tool for your booktest.
Music for mentalism and psychic entertainment.
Visit: http://stores.lulu.com/dankworth01
MagicoStu
View Profile
New user
UK
17 Posts

Profile of MagicoStu
Hi CinChiller

Thanks for your response.

I guess its those old words of wisdom again that mean some things suit some but not others but I think you have hit the nail on the head as there is some material that will suit most.

A complete Kockov show really is an experience, his actual show tends to connect much better if I were to be honest, believe me if Kockov was to perform in Germany you guys would love the performance out there.

Nonetheless, I guess there will ultimately be some dissapointment as you say, the Russian Roullette is something Jasper has built up over many years, putting the same props together would need some extra spending but again the ideas can be worked with other things.

As mentioned, the DVDs to me are about the main effects Dial-Abolical and Plunge of Death, put the work in and you will have a brilliant routine and Dial-Abolical really is a incredible piece of work.

Thanks again for you reply

Stu
http://www.livemagic.co.uk
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Dvd, Video tape, Audio tape & Compact discs. » » Kockov- The DVD Set (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL