The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Well, this is about as lousy as it gets! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
After what has already been a very challenging year, I've hit about one of the worst things that can happen to a magician...

This past weekend I was working on the local crew for an Elton John concert. After the show while striking/loading out I was run over with a road case by an over-eager if not-too-smart young stagehand. I didn't think much of it at the time really, but now it turns out that I have fractured both of my wrists. Oh what fun to cancel all my gigs for the next 8+ weeks!

So, I'll not be likely to be posting much in the Café for awhile! But chin-up, I'll keep on keeping on... just wishing I had my hands!
Tom Fenton
View Profile
Inner circle
Leeds, UK (but I'm Scottish)
1468 Posts

Profile of Tom Fenton
Just think how you're gonna knock 'em dead when you get well though.

Hope you get well soon and your luck changes,
Tom
"But there isn't a door"
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-10-02 19:36, Frank Simpson wrote:

This past weekend I was working ...........

Frank,

The Keyword there is "working". I'm suspecting Sir Elton played at a place that uses organized labor with proper protection in such a case. Wouldn't there be some sort of responsibility on their part for your " not self inflicted" injury? I suspect they will not bring it up but it may benifit you over the next 8 weeks to inquire.

Good Luck,

Tim
Avrakdavra
View Profile
Loyal user
The Pine Tree State, USA
224 Posts

Profile of Avrakdavra
Important to continue practicing the moves mentally--there's research to indicate that visualization and inner-rehearsal enhance performance and will help to maintain some neural connections for complex motor movements that might otherwise not be as strong following weeks of inactivity--best wishes for a full recovery.
Bruce
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
I'd say tough break, but it would sound like a bad pun. Follow up on Tim's suggestion. Hope you recover soon and are back at performing soon.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
They do concerts in Montana?
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
Hope you feel better soon. Just think of the things your friends and family will do for you, coffee on tap,

Diane
Frank Simpson
View Profile
Special user
SW Montana
881 Posts

Profile of Frank Simpson
Tim-
Not organized labor, but they are (so far) stepping up to the plate to take care of medical expenses. Oh, I miss my hands!

MagicSanta-
Why wouldn't we?

Others-
Thanks for the words of encouragement. It is important to keep a good attitude through this ordeal!
Andi Peters
View Profile
Inner circle
1331 Posts

Profile of Andi Peters
That gives a new meaning to the phrase wrist kill!
Pakar Ilusi
View Profile
Inner circle
5715 Posts

Profile of Pakar Ilusi
Frank, you're living proof of this saying..

It's not the critic that counts. It's not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena. Whose face is marred with dust, and sweat, and blood. Who strives valiantly; Who errors and comes short again and again; Because there is no effort without error and shortcoming. But who does actually dare to do the deeds. Who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions; Who spends himself in a worthy cause; Who at best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly. So that his place will never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.?
- Theodore Roosevelt -

You take good care of yourself now.. Speedy recovery to you..

Smile
"Dreams aren't a matter of Chance but a matter of Choice." -DC-
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20507 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Hang in there Frank. These things build more than character. Think how creative you'll be.

Sorry for the tough luck but I know that you are a survivor.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JesterMan
View Profile
Veteran user
Maryland, USA
319 Posts

Profile of JesterMan
How's it going, Frank?

I didn't break'em in any concert mishap, but my wrists put me out of commission for 9 weeks, too. I hope you are on the other side of it all, now. Mine are still healing, but are good enough to work, again. (Carpal Tunnel Surgery--1 wrist each in late Sept and late Oct). No one to blame but a successful year.

J-Man Smile Smile
JM Smile Smile

Balloons, Magic, Mayhem & More!
www.AArdvarkEntertainers.com
www.JesterMan.com

"... destined to take the place of the MudShark in your mythology... " FZ
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
I worked with a local promoter in NYC and Teamsters local 1. Used to do the same thing as you. I do know that when a road case is in motion, it's get out of the way or be crushed! I've seen it many times. No time for polite requests to move out the way. The union and the roadies call the shots! People think it's the artist...lol Not true!

Hang in there, I'm sure you will heal and be doing some new level of sleights! But, now that your hands are healing, how about some FOOT magic!

All the best!

Justin style
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Looking out for our own » » Well, this is about as lousy as it gets! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL