The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Advice on what to buy (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I've got 20 bucks burning a hole in my pocket and want to buy a trick(not a book or vid).
I've been looking at scotch and soda, brainwave, nfw, twisted sisters, and healed and sealed soda.
Any advice on what you use, what you would recommend, and if trick is for someone with an intermediate knowledge of magic.

Thanks, Brian
gtxby33
View Profile
Veteran user
347 Posts

Profile of gtxby33
Are you sure intermediate? I say you buy a book, lol...

-Max
white hats rule.
r4bid
View Profile
Veteran user
386 Posts

Profile of r4bid
What is your magic backgound? (Cards, coins, rope, mentalism etc...)
sak07
View Profile
New user
Stirling/Manchester UK
54 Posts

Profile of sak07
All the tricks you mentioned are some of the better ones available. From the list you gave, I would recommend brainwave deck or invisable deck (invisable all the time for me). Its a classic ! It doesn't require much skill and with the right presentation should have people fainting. But its a preference thing, if you prefer coin routines go with scotch and soda, if cards brainwave and NFW. Healed and sealed, is good but takes a little preparation and isn't ideal for all situations. My advice go with brainwave - you can't fail to inpress with it.
Rick
View Profile
Elite user
Va.
446 Posts

Profile of Rick
I have to agree with sak, I've been playing with a
brainwave deck for many years and made a good living with this deck,because there is so much you can do with brainwave...

Rick.

Smile
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
I own 5 books and 7 videos and can do quite a few tricks and routines. I perform mainly for friends and clients,mostly closeup magic.
I enjoy using gimmicked and gaffed tricks and seem to get the most reaction when using these. I believe that they appear more like real 'magic' therefore producing a more killer effect(is'nt this what Blaine has become famous for?).
Does this mean I use only gimmicks and gaffs? No, but in alot of instances I'm doing only one trick for someone and a gimmicked trick kills.
I've currently been using pen thru anything with my clients with fantastic results.
I know everyone might not agree but variety in your magic, beginner or pro, and do what you enjoy and is produing the best results is best.
Sorry for the rant. Brian
Douglas B.
View Profile
New user
Surrey, England
15 Posts

Profile of Douglas B.
My first packet trick was invisible deck, and would heartily recommend it. As a layperson, it was the trick that slayed me, and pushed me into studying magic. Smile
Donnay
View Profile
New user
N. Ireland
49 Posts

Profile of Donnay
If you keep waitng for replies you'll amass more than $20 and you could buy the DVd/vid to go with any trick you do end up getting. Smile
clui
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of clui
So you suggest getting a video or dvd or book over a packet trick?
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Some packet tricks are rubbish, but I'll recommend Invisible Deck, which I personally prefer, rather than the Brainwave Deck, because of the overkill effect which the Brainwave produces.
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1954 Posts

Profile of alexhui
Invisible deck is the trick I won't forgive in my life.It is so good!!

Alex
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
hkwiles
View Profile
Special user
Howard Wiles
797 Posts

Profile of hkwiles
What about Kolossal Killer

plenty of threads on here about this one.

I just got it.... .superrrrrrb !!

Howard
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
If money is a major factor here, which it seems to be, you can rule out Scotch and Soda. You would be better off using your money for one of the others you mentioned, because you can get Peter Marucci's no-gimmick Scotch and Soda for free.

Peter is very generous with his stuff. All you have to do is ask and he will email it to you. I use it and it kills.
Donnay
View Profile
New user
N. Ireland
49 Posts

Profile of Donnay
Yes Mr. Marucci's no gaff scotch is a blast. just look him up on here.
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
bg,

IMHO, I would respectfully suggest that a general book on magic (like Bobo's Coin Magic, Royal Road to Card Magic, etc.), would stand you in better stead than any $20.00 gimmicked trick. If you have these books already, there are other beginning and intermediate books available.

If you have $20.00 burning a hole in your pocket, and you insist on spending the money on a "trick", I'd suggest that you consider getting a "hidden gaff" that could/would have multiple uses/applications. In this way you don't spend your money on a "one-trick" pony.

Of the tricks you mentioned, I always had a good reaction with the Invisible Deck (my 1st choice) or followed by Scotch and Soda (my 2nd choice--when I used them about 20 years ago.

I would suggest that some coin gaffs by Johnson Product might be a better choice.

For what it's worth, I will be buying "The Raven" gaff in the near future. I understand that with it, you can perform some real coin (AND other small items)miracles.

However, I come back to my initial point--a basic or intermediate magic book might be a better choice; not only will you learn many tricks and effects, you might also learn presentation tips, handling tips, and probably instructions on how to make your own gaffs and gimmicks.

Just my two cents worth.

Best regards,

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
If you are more or less intermediate magician, or even you were a beginner, just buy Bisection og Andrew Mayne, a grand illusion and a great, very great illusion.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
Ziggy Zig
View Profile
New user
Australia
6 Posts

Profile of Ziggy Zig
May I suggest that you consider getting a TT as this was one of the first tricks I used and where ever or who ever I show the routine to no matter what their age it always brings a smile.

ben

http://www.burscoughsmagic.1colony.com Smile
bg
View Profile
Veteran user
Indy
313 Posts

Profile of bg
Thanks for the posts. I've just purchased invisible deck and dime and Penny. Can't wait to try them out. I don't see a great deal of difference between invisible deck and b'wave, can you do more than one effect with them?
Thanks again, Brian
redstreak
View Profile
Inner circle
A.K.A David Kong
1368 Posts

Profile of redstreak
Good choices, I love them both but I lost my dime and Penny Smile I think soemone found it and thought that it was a real Penny.
Pablo Tejero
View Profile
Inner circle
Zaragoza, SPAIN
1201 Posts

Profile of Pablo Tejero
Quote:
On 2003-02-19 07:48, bg wrote:
I don't see a great deal of difference between invisible deck and b'wave, can you do more than one effect with them?

Brian take a look at this thread:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......2&28

You will find a lot of info abou the differences between invisible deck and b´wave. And of course the good and the bad things of each one.

All the best magic,

Pablo Tejero Smile
"The Magic is in the air, you just have to... breathe it!"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Advice on what to buy (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL