The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..22~23~24 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Frank, let us know as soon as possible when you hear from him.
sir real
View Profile
New user
I've been tied to
85 Posts

Profile of sir real
The last posts he made indicated he was busking in Amsterdam. Any Amsterdam buskers on this forum?
AaronishMagic
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of AaronishMagic
Cellini is got a video on this subject
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Well I had a close one.

I can't talk about it right now but I will be posting later.

my communication is limited right now, please be patient.

oh yeh and buy my book!

thanks for all the concern.

I'll tell you all about it later.

I have a good reason for not staying in touch.

thanks again for all the concern.

your pal jimmy.
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
We're glad you're back and safe, whatever the reason.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
mmreed
View Profile
Inner circle
Harrisburg, PA
1432 Posts

Profile of mmreed
Good to hear you are ok Jimmy. We were all concerned.

Looking forward to having you back and posting...
Mark Reed
Wedding and Event Entertainment
sdmagic
View Profile
Special user
697 Posts

Profile of sdmagic
Welcome Back Jimmy! Its great to hear you are ok. See you soon.

sdmagic
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Jimmy, check out how worried we were about you: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......rum=6&41
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Welcome back, Jimmy. I'm glad to see you posting again. All the best. Great advice in your book. Regards.
The presentation makes the magic.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
443 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Quote:
On 2008-09-12 05:42, jimmy talksalot wrote:

...with this it is no wonder that the american public feels like a street performer is a con or another sales pitch.

Every single layman I have ever talked to has the same complaint about street performers, they say,
"I hate when a performer makes me wait and wait and wait before he does the trick and then it´s not that big of a deal, it feels like a scam."

Then what´s worse is all the "performer" does is nag for money all through his "show" while providing amateur skills and with little to no theater.

there are also many performers who do not do this and the people would never have these complaints about them...

your pal jimmy

I've joined this thread very late and have a question about this particular part (quoted above). I understand that Jimmy himself may not be able to post a reply immediately but until then can anyone respond to me? BTW, I find Jimmy's views helpful as well as heartfelt and I am a fan, not a critic.
How do you address and deal with what's quoted above? My specific query put another way is this: HOW does one square the views above with the street performers need to get the the audience to stay until the end so that they can make a contribution to the hat at the end? Do you not HAVE to ask them to hang on to the end of the show and also inform them DURING the show that they have the opportunity to pay? What alternative strategies do you/Jimmy have - how do you go about it?
mrsmiles
(UK)
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
When I first started to busk, everyone I knew or met had the same response when I answer the question "What do you do for a livig?" I explained that I am a magician and they asked
where do you perform?" When I said "on the street, anyplace I can draw a crowd."

The response weas always; "you mean like the homeless guys down at the stadium?"
(I live in Cincinnati and we have stadiums for the Reds and the Bengals where the homeless panhandle before all the games.)

They could not believe that someone could actually entertain and make a living busking. Then when I bought a new car they couldn't figure out how a guy who "begs for a living" could get a new car. People are caught in the mindset of haveing to work for a company all your life until you retire. They can not grasp the freedom and excitement of our lifestyle.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
bgh13mm
View Profile
New user
Pelham, Alabama
84 Posts

Profile of bgh13mm
Nice site and very good information. Thank you for making it available.It will me alot.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Quote:
On 2009-01-26 07:32, mrsmiles wrote:
Quote:
On 2008-09-12 05:42, jimmy talksalot wrote:

...with this it is no wonder that the american public feels like a street performer is a con or another sales pitch.

Every single layman I have ever talked to has the same complaint about street performers, they say,
"I hate when a performer makes me wait and wait and wait before he does the trick and then it´s not that big of a deal, it feels like a scam."

Then what´s worse is all the "performer" does is nag for money all through his "show" while providing amateur skills and with little to no theater.

there are also many performers who do not do this and the people would never have these complaints about them...

your pal jimmy

I've joined this thread very late and have a question about this particular part (quoted above). I understand that Jimmy himself may not be able to post a reply immediately but until then can anyone respond to me? BTW, I find Jimmy's views helpful as well as heartfelt and I am a fan, not a critic.
How do you address and deal with what's quoted above? My specific query put another way is this: HOW does one square the views above with the street performers need to get the the audience to stay until the end so that they can make a contribution to the hat at the end? Do you not HAVE to ask them to hang on to the end of the show and also inform them DURING the show that they have the opportunity to pay? What alternative strategies do you/Jimmy have - how do you go about it?

I can pass the advice on to you that Kozmo gave to me: Keep your show very short while you are still new to the game. Bang out 10-15 minute shows for 5-20 people, do 8-10 shows (or more) a day. Make certain your show is ultra tight, and get to the finale quick.

Slow your show down once you learn how to manage a longer show with more play & audience participation.

That's all I know, and it's because I was given that advice. Kozmo's DVD is FULL of GREAT advice for the sidewalk worker.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Valid question.

the idea is to put out a show that is worth paying for.

a show where people forget how long they've been watching and want to see more even when your done.

talent. complete originality.

not hustling a con.

some of the WORST performers in the world ARE MAKING REALLY BIG BUCKS, but they are not improving our art form. great hustlers terrible entertainers, they fool themselves into thinking their good by their income.....like mcdonalds makes a better burger then anyone else cuz it sells so many.

show the audience that what you do is valuable by doing good work.

once they realize that what they are watching is good then ask for the money that's justifiable.

but to do a 30 min clap and cheer and then show the cups or a jacket and do it mediocre your killing all the other entertainers out there when you should be working a "real job" some where.

this is the worst problem in the busking world.

I've actually watched a guy get booed and have walk offs and at the end walked over to me and showed off his hat and told me how great of a performer he was because he made a decent hat.

remember you entertaining people not selling time share or running a pyramiad scam.

humility is the key.

don't try and hide the fact that you suck.....try and correct it.

your pal jimmy
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Also I am not sure of the quality of this post because of what's goin on in my life right now.

so I would suggest you buy my book.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

After reading chads plug there I just remembered a performer who epitimizes what I'm refering to here.

his methods of crowd building was to hound every single person to stop literally grabbing them and using loud and foul language. he wore trashy clothes that never gave you the feeling he was an entertainer.

people felt like they were doing him a favor watching, and they looked frightened and disinterested. while he did horrible slieght of hand.

in fact there is some footage of him on an instructional video where his audience is pointing out where he is hiding his palmed coins...painful to watch, any way, at the end of his shows he would literally ridicule people for not giving larger bills and threaten them to give him more under the guise that he may just be kidding. in reality he appeared threatning and baligerent and trashy.....and saddly not in a good way ;}

I remember just after he verbally bludgened and embarassed a man to give him a five instead of a one he turned to me and told me this is how I should be doing it.

he has I hope become the opposite of me my friends and the cellini school of thought.

any way I remember how this same guy would try and convince me that he was a great entertainer because of the money he was making.......but I knew better....i saw his show.

I avoided his instruction to my success, but have been careful not to hurt his instructional trade for busking out of respect for his rank amongst my peers.

just the same I would think it a good idea for everyone to keep thier eyes open for this sort of thing to avoid.

my point is not to cause bad feelings.

my point is to see the difference and choose good form.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

One last thing.

get out and see different acts so that you can better judge whos good and whos not.

then you'll know how good you should be.

and

be able to advise others on who is credable and who is not.
Kozmo
View Profile
V.I.P.
5473 Posts

Profile of Kozmo
Who you talking about jimmy?
Smile

kz
manreb
View Profile
Special user
666 Posts

Profile of manreb
Jimmy

I just found this thread. I visited your site and can only say thank you.

It is interesting that the person you just described is usually the escape artist, magician. A good street magician is, as you say entertaining, enjoyable, personable etc.

Thanks for the site.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi Jimmy
I think your satements hear are very vague, I have been around for some time working the streets. I must addmit for the most part I have not seen what you are talking about. I have seen crap performers come and go but they don't survive long on the streets of UK all europe for that matter because their crap. As far as I can remember it has always been that way. Performer trys but dies, they may hang around for a while but aventually. Shame you did not make it to Spain I was hoping to meet you. Any way I am glad your safe you had us all worried. I even asked a few freands to look out for you in Holland.
Mario
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..10~11~12~13~14..22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL