The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..22~23~24 [Next]
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
These two things have been tearing at me.

ever since I saw all those clones of gazzo in covent garden I have been stressed about talentless people who can't figure out how to do a magic act that isn't like some one elses.

I'm thinking I may do a dvd where I talk a lot and do some routines, but not teach my routines, simply the show part.

maybe where I just show how to work magic with out teaching my routines.

the best is where some one sees a routine but NOT the explaination and is forced to figure out how they would do it and end up creating somehting else.

seeing a string of ideas if you will.

also I like the idea of teaching tricks in books because it scares hacks and clones that they may have to think.....or even worse yet read and imagine.

any way I am not intirely offended that people copy my work unless they do a bad job of it or they work the same pitch where I am working.

#1 is permission.

everthing I do I got permission or dreamed up or stumbled on myself,

I'm not bragging I'm suggesting this, because I think there are beginners out there, that simply are not aware of this value.

this also may be a big subject in the dvd and or next book. I may try and give instruction or suggestions on how to build an original act or how ask for permission when borrowing a routine or trick.

thanks for the interest sorry for taking so long to repsond.

here's a link to my free instructional blog for buskers.

http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com/
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-06-25 22:29, jimmy talksalot wrote:

ever since I saw all those clones of gazzo in covent garden I have been stressed about talentless people who can't figure out how to do a magic act that isn't like some one elses.

This is one of the reasons I never got Gazzo's routine. I know I would end up doing exactly what's in the routine and frankly you have to BE Gazzo to do what's in that routine!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Quote:
This also may be a big subject in the dvd and or next book. I may try and give instruction or suggestions on how to build an original act or how ask for permission when borrowing a routine or trick.

Now That Would Be A Book or DVD I Would Buy...Why...Cause I will admit I don't have one creative bone in my body when it comes to routining an act ir routine. I know there are DVD's and books like Tarbell that explain some of how to do it but let's face it I get frustrated when I hear things like put a killer trick here, followed by an intimate and personalble trick here or as I heard from someone who has been doing magic for a long long time said just slap some tricks together it will work itself out...no need to routine or script.

So, Jimmy if you can come out with something that teaches how to structure an original act in plain english I would not only buy it but would greatly appreciate it.
gman
View Profile
Special user
Lancaster, pa
751 Posts

Profile of gman
Darn they took the edit button away. Jimmy you and Haywire and One who shall not be named on this forum just gave me a great idea. I'll pm you when I have it all worked out on paper. Thanks Buddy.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
Quote:
On 2009-06-29 13:14, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

This is one of the reasons I never got Gazzo's routine. I know I would end up doing exactly what's in the routine and frankly you have to BE Gazzo to do what's in that routine!

Ed, that's your mistake. I worked this weekend with Mark from New Orleans and he does the cups and balls as a finale. Yes there is some Gazzo in it, but Mark changed it around to fit MARK and it works GREAT. That's the difference between learning an effect and being a clone. You learn from the master then adapt it to fit your personality and style.

Peter
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Yep
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2009-06-30 08:31, Paddy wrote:
Quote:
On 2009-06-29 13:14, ed rhodes wrote:
Quote:

Ed, that's your mistake. I worked this weekend with Mark from New Orleans and he does the cups and balls as a finale. Yes there is some Gazzo in it, but Mark changed it around to fit MARK and it works GREAT. That's the difference between learning an effect and being a clone. You learn from the master then adapt it to fit your personality and style.

Peter

That IS my mistake, it is my weakness. I approach magic as an actor. You don't get up and do "Macbeth" and decide, "I'll change it around a little to suit my personality better!" (Although I did see a film of someone who did exactly that, he actually gave Macbeth a dying speech!) The point is to KNOW your strengths and weaknesses and not let them control you.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Danny Hustle
View Profile
Inner circle
Boston, MA USA
2393 Posts

Profile of Danny Hustle
Watch Kenneth Branagh do Hamlet then Mel Gibson then Laurence Olivier then Richard Burton and throw in Kevin Kline for good measure.

Five completely different takes on the Dane by five different actors. The mood and tone is also completely different in each because the directors were also different.

The words don't change but sometimes the very meanings do just because of the actor or directors interpretation.

Just something to think about, and I am sincearly not taking the mickey just trying to shed some light.

Best,

Dan-

"MT is one of the reasons we started this board! I’m so sick of posts being deleted without any reason given, and by unknown people at that." - Steve Brooks Sep 7, 2001 8:38pm
©1999-2014 Daniel Denney all rights reserved.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
A very good point. Understand that I am NOT putting down Gazzo's routine, or those who do it, only my faith in my ability to bring something original to it. I think Gazzo's routine is so strong, I don't believe I could bring anything to it and would only parrot what was already there. Currently I do the routine in Mark Wilson's book. I was unhappy with the end (does Mark really expect you to stand there with three lemons hidden on you and not look foolish?) I was able to come up with something that satisfied me and gave the routine a finish I could work with.
Shawn74
View Profile
Loyal user
New Mexico
211 Posts

Profile of Shawn74
Thanks for posting the blog, Jimmy. As one who would be happy to overcome the nerve just to perform for strangers, let alone actually working a pitch, I've found a lot very helpful there.

I think a DVD not showcasing effects, but dealing with creativity, routining and the like would be much better fair than the current run of one-trick DVD's out there.

As for mimicking the performance. Henry Hay wrote about the difference between hard easy tricks and easy hard tricks. He stated that it is much easier to think about how you'll present something in your own style when you're needing to take time to actually learn the effect than it is to be force-fed a routine and trying to make it fit into your persona or style. Of course I'm paraphrasing, but...I think you all get the drift.

Again, thanks for the blog

Shawn
Hold your breath...make a wish...count to 3... and you'll be in a world of pure imagination
Willy Wonka
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Thanks for your interest in the blog.

I couldn't agree more.

taking tricks and putting them inna certain order into a routine that fits your own character is tough because you have to think more.

writing your own script is tougher for the same reason.

but that's what your job is as an entertainer.....that's why all the shows are different on t.v.

thanks again for your support and patience
Noctuabundus
View Profile
New user
WI
8 Posts

Profile of Noctuabundus
Wow, I just made it thru this hell of a thread. Phew! I'm glad it led me to your blog tho Jimmy. Not to be redundant, but really, its a great resource. Since I took my magic break and got to thinking more recently about getting back into it much more seriously I've teeter tottered back and forth between being stoked about magic to being "realistic" and losing hope in making something of it. Its no walk in the park to bust out a routine and have it killer right away, but you've motivated me to give it some serious contemplation and hope that with enough practice and effort I may just make something worth showing the world. Since the economy took a crap on me I've got a lot more time on my hands and a great amount of resources to tap into. Now I just need to polish up my old tricks and build up something respectable. I've been thinking hard on a few things I want to put together centering around manipulating materials mostly and a lil mentalism to spice it up. I'm not entirely sure how it will all play out and how effective it will be, but I like the feel I think it will have. I want to end it with a souvenir similar to the liquid metal routine so that people have something tangible to remember me by. I'm having a hard time thinking of where to perform however because theres not many good places to hit up here in WI. I'm sure I'd just get myself kicked out of summerfest if I tried making tips there, although I could probably work outside the park without getting too much bad attention. I also was thinking about the Bristol Ren Fair since I used to work there some years ago in a shop. I always kinda had the dream of doing walk around there, but I hear its hard to get officially booked for such things. I might be able to pull some strings if my show can back me up since I got to know some good people there. I'm just a hobbyist mostly so I was thinking I'd run my routine more as a walk around "street magic" show before I get back into the flow and get the balls to set up a real busking show. Previously I mostly just did magic at parties and occasionally to random people for the fun of it and to inspire amazement. Getting a few drinks in me definitely helped as well Smile Well I think I've rambled on enough now. To get back to the point, I really appreciate what everyone here has done to help others and special thanks to Jimmy for his more recent and specific inspiration. I enjoy your show very much. It reminds me of the street performers who would gather on the piers down in clearwater florida for the nightly "busk fest" that I loved watching as a child. Hell, I still enjoy hitting them up whenever I'm down that way. I look forward to getting your book whenever I get some extra funds too since I'm a wee bit down and out atm. Good thing I invested in all those books and dvds when the money was good Smile
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

I can't believe you have read all this stuff , but I'm glad you gotta kick outta the thread and my stuff.

for years many have believed that the streets are not a legitamate venue, so it has been my goal to get the word out on this real and practical venue, I believe in busking, and I hope more will too!

if you wanna learn how to street perform or are just interested in the good the bad and the ugly nuts and bolts of it please check out my free instructional blog on busking;

http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com/

also I have been updating the who's who of magic buskers blog and you should check it out and see if there's anybody you know or wanna know;

http://sidewalkperformerswhoswho.blogspot.com/
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Welp, I just updated both blogs and added two new blogs
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Everyone who reads the blogs or has any interest in busking should do themselves a favor and buy the Jimmys book. I have the book and I take it when I travel to pitchs. Jimmy thanks for all the help you give us newbies.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Thank you so much, I'm glad it helped you.

I havn't written here in a long time and I though I'd catch up.
Gary Richards
View Profile
New user
18 Posts

Profile of Gary Richards
Thanks, Jimmy, for a great contribution to the art of living. Your blog site is a nice piece of work. Keep up the good work! - gary
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
I believe in busking too! I've learned more on the street than I could ever have learned sitting at home practicing moves and waiting for the phone to ring.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Please check out my free instructional blog
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
Jimmy you are a true star, to show respect rather than milk it is to be honest.

You I think are doing it rather than thinking it, its a long hard road but your wearing the right sized boots.

Ken.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15~16~17~18~19..22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL