The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Let me know when you find a spot, I'll see if I can find you.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
I'll be there in December
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Jimmy Talks Alot,
Welcome back to San Diego!

It was nice catching up with you today out in the field. I left after the winds started picking up. Too bad "The Godfather of Magic" came around and disrupted our discussion.

Have a safe flight to Vegas!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
Jimmy is out making a living so I thought I'd post this.

His Lecture last night was a hit! About 10-15 Las Vegas magicians got to see two masters at work. Not only did we get Jimmy, but he brought Sonny Holliday with him.

Sonny opened the evening with his street show. Not many knew that he was seriously injured in 2009, but you couldn't tell by his flawless performance. The audience reactions were rather low-key, which is to be expected I suppose for a magician audience already seated with no chance to "build" a crowd. I would have done away with the chairs and given them the freedom to "mold" us as they pleased.

Jimmy followed with a shortened version of his show, then the real fun began.

Rather than a structured lecture, it turned into a sit down bull session with Jimmy, Sonny, and one Jimmy's students (Robert?) that I had not seen before. Questions were freely answered, often drifting off into story telling of various street experiences from each of them.

The entire experience lasted about 2 1/2 hours with Sonny and Robert anxious to head to the "Strip" and urging a very tired Jimmy to go with them and get in some evening shows before calling it a night.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious

Not Robert, "Chappelino"
I'm glad you enjoyed the lecture Dave.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
"About 10-15 Las Vegas magicians got to see two masters at work."
I think they were part of a historical meeting that in times to come people will long to have been present at.
The presentation makes the magic.
G.Gilbert
View Profile
Elite user
baltimore
495 Posts

Profile of G.Gilbert
Not Robert, or Chappelino.

He used to do the Charlie Chaplin character but not anymore. He still does whiteface but his new performance name is "Chanz"..

his actual name is Roger
unilogo
View Profile
Veteran user
Las Vegas , NV
359 Posts

Profile of unilogo
The physical stage presence of real 'workers' is inspirational. You can not experience that through: The internet, videos or books.

Sure, we learned valuable new theories. But most of the concepts from the lecture are on Jimmy's excellent blog. And we had a talent for asking bad questions. Smile

Personally, it was nice meeting: Roger, Dave, Chris & Johnny...

Good times! With great magicians and even better people.

Thank you; Jimmy & Sonnny.
Paddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford OH
1571 Posts

Profile of Paddy
I couldn't make the lectures but I just received the notes from Denny & Lee. They are worth one heck of a lot more than what I paid for them!! Just like his book, Jimmy gives you HEART and soul of being a busker. He lets you know that it's hard work, but also the finest way to live. Jimmy you kicked my butt with these notes and got me going again. I was staying home and feeling sorry for myself but these notes helped me see the light again.

Jimmy shows you how to structure your show, how to draw the edge, even how to survive working in a small town. This is information that anyone who busks needs to know. Thanks Jimmy.
Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

I reject your reality & substitute my own

http://www.Scho-Lan.com
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Thanks a lot paddy.

I am hopefully going to start writing more articals soon.

so keep an eye out for them.
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
It was very nice catchin' up with you over this busy weekend Brother Jimmy.
You Rock!

I overheard some folks in the parking lot talking about how much fun your show was and they
kept repeating some of your pitch lines....great stuff my man!

Fred was super impressed with how you managed your groups.
He's a professional "Handler".

See you soon!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

I'm back in new orleans.

sorry I haven't written much in my blog I have a few articals I have always wanted to write that are in my head, but I haven't had the time.

I'm gonna try and get to them out there soon.

I have been swamped with personal stuff. I am so glad to hear that so many people have gottin so much from the blog.

if you wanna learn how to busk or have questions, I'm pretty sure any questions you have are already answered there.

here's the link.

http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com/
Ekuth
View Profile
Inner circle
Floating above my
1539 Posts

Profile of Ekuth
Jimmy;

Just got your book yesterday and devoured it in one sitting. Thank you- so much- for distilling your experience down and telling it straight up and laying it all out.

To the rest of you who haven't got "Lure with Spectacle" yet:

WTH are you waiting for! Buy the man's book already; it's G-O-L-D.

Now, if y'all will pardon me, I'm off to re-read and take notes before I hit the pitch.
"All you need is in Fitzkee."
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Glad it hit the spot. the book is things a lot of old masters told me to write down in the book, as you may have seen many of them listed in the back of the book. it was their guideness that gave me a career and I am forever indebted to them.

I love my job. I am spoiled I can never again go work a "real job" and I hope the same for you if this is the life you want to choose.

thank you again for all the kind words.

also please remember I have free blog, that is good primer also.

your pal jimmy.
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
Wow! I just spent the afternoon reading through this entire thread...

So... Um... Guys? Do you think I should read Jimmy's blog? Is there anything worthwhile over there? 'Cause I'm kinda on the fence... lol! J/K! ;-)

Thanks for posting all this... Lots of good info in here. Did one guy seriously start a money collecting competition with garbage bags? That's... Wow... Just wow... Tackiness level infinity! ;-)
ibraa
View Profile
New user
United Kingdom
51 Posts

Profile of ibraa
There are some useful post here, glad I've found this topic!
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
Holy crap... Just finished Jimmy's blog. Amazing stuff there! It's more than just "street stuff". There's a lot about business and what it means to be a magician.

Everyone should read through this. Don't let the spelling and grammar fool you. This is a platinum mine...
Eduardo
View Profile
Veteran user
312 Posts

Profile of Eduardo
Quote:
On 2012-02-25 18:58, Mystical Matthew wrote:
Holy crap... Just finished Jimmy's blog. Amazing stuff there! It's more than just "street stuff". There's a lot about business and what it means to be a magician.

Everyone should read through this. Don't let the spelling and grammar fool you. This is a platinum mine...

Really??????????

that's what I'm saying since I read it!!!!
But nobody hears...

Much better than those dvds you have...
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Great thoughts in here from many folks if ya' haven't read them gang.
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
It's five years since Jimmy's book came out, and I've had my copy for about 4 years. I find that the book as relevant as ever. In my copy I've got pencilled underlinings, margin linings, post it arrows in many places, reminder and comment notes I've added. And I keep it beside my bed and re-read parts of it because as it says in the Publishers Forward in front of the book
"This is a manual intended first for careful study, and then for repeat review as your experience begins to catch up with some of the ideas and concepts you will read about."

Thanks, again, Jimmy for this outstanding book, and to Leaping Lizards Magic for publishing it.
The presentation makes the magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL