The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..22~23~24 [Next]
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
472 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Any chance that you´re visiting Sweden?

Håkan
:wavey:
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
Jimmy,

It looks like http://jimmytalksalot.com/ is down. I get a message from godaddy saying that the site is unavailable.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Should be up tomarrow.

I'm in london right now, I'm not sure where I might be headed, I'm a little road weary.

I'll write back inna lil while.
gallagher
View Profile
Inner circle
1083 Posts

Profile of gallagher
Jimmy´s one of the greatest out there,... as a Preformer and as Teacher;... but for those looking for a `Graduate Class´, check out the Rudy Coby interview here in the Café. Question eight: `Developing a Show´. There´s the bottomline.
good luck,... or as the French more fittingly say, "bon courage´.
gallagher
Wayne Whiting
View Profile
Regular user
181 Posts

Profile of Wayne Whiting
I think Rudy's advice is excellent. Reminds me of what John Carney was saying in the opening pages of his book Carneycopia with his discussion of books versus watching DVDs.
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Thomas Edison

www.terrylagerold.com
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Sites back up
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Jimmytalksalot.com
L Trunk
View Profile
Loyal user
Australia
207 Posts

Profile of L Trunk
Wow. I'd totally forgotten who Rudy Coby was... fired up youtube and realised that I'd seen one of his specials as a kid and totally loved it.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Where's the rudy coby link I couldn't find it?
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
658 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Here ya go Jimmy....

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=255&1

BTW, I think you already have this advice covered in your act bro.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

I got it!
bropaul
View Profile
Loyal user
Florida
221 Posts

Profile of bropaul
Nice to be catching up... Jimmy, I've read a lot of your blog and you are doing what you should be doing. Keep it up and we'll continue to learn from one of the best. It was good to meet you on the street this last winter. I'm really looking forward to getting back up there again.

I haven't been up on this site for a long time, but now I see a lot of water has passed by. A lot of it has washed a bunch of the BS away, but I'm glad to see there is still a lot left.

I have recommended your blog to a few up and comers and they have thanked me. So continue to make me look like I know what I'm doing Jimmy and stay in touch.

Now I've got a lot of reading to do... Later Brother.

Bro. Paul West
http://www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
Bro. Paul West

www.BrotherPaulMagic.com
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Thanks for everythin bro.paul

good to hear from you.
T. Sebastian
View Profile
Loyal user
Ozark Mountains, USA
223 Posts

Profile of T. Sebastian
I just read through this entire thread and the whole blog too.
Lots of info to chew on. Thanks for sharing the wisdom of your years of experience with a worm like me Jimmy.
One thing that really stuck out was the bit about how you can't by class. Humility is a must.
I had a lesson in this a few months ago.
I found myself entertaining the mayor and some of the local elite.
Luckily I was "on" that day. But when one of my tricks was interrupted so that I could take a picture of someone with the mayor I realised
entertainer = servant.
And to let anything go to your head is a huge mistake.
Not that I was in danger of thinking I'm actually any good, but a reminder is always good to keep me in my place.
So keep writing and I'll keep reading.
Guys like you are my teachers and I will endeavor to be a worthy student.
So sorry I soiled your precious eyes.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Entertainer = servant

exactly.
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Jimmy, I watched your videos, dude. You da man bro. That character is high class. You got the whole world in your hat. Keep up the good work homie. Ya kno' wha' I'm say'n?
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Yeh brah I got ya, thanks. no really thanks.

went to your site your whole rig is cool the back drop the tables the costume.

got any footage?
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
No not yet. I am still working on that.
bluemagic
View Profile
Loyal user
271 Posts

Profile of bluemagic
I like what I read and you have great information.What is your veiw using cards?
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Good question.

I don't like em for so many reasons I don't have time to explain right now.

I literally could write a book on why. and it would never lose it's variety like most card tricks do.

I'll list 3 reasons, but I literally have thousands. no really I wish I had time.

#1. uncontrolled interaction.

#2. generally the audience believes card tricks are cheesey, boring, too involved, hard to follow, and amature, before you even get started.

#3.card tricks are hard for a large crowd to see unless it's manipulation or jumbos.

with that said, I do think if somebody was to do a card show [cards only or predominantly] on the street, that would be pretty original. and could cancel out some of the problems that card tricks cause when they enter a show.

if your doing a close up sidewalk show or doorway act with extremely heavy foot traffic, then yeh card tricks on a table that have been extremely scripted and routined could look pro and create a persona. I am a huge fan of "the sidewalk shuffle" done behind a table with JUMBO CARDS.

but don't expect to make big money, unless you repeat 8 min shows over and over.

all the successful card routines I've seen are direct get quickly to the effect and are filled with effects before they get there. boom boom boom. short and sweet the person signs the card so they can't lie or forget, and the performer puts it back in the deck himself.

if kept very simple and direct a card trick makes a great finale. eg. card to wallet, card to fruit, card to somewhere interesting and impossible, or a card throw.

most importantly you will need a lot of personality and showmanship to make a card trick look professional and interesting because unlike other tricks it wont on it's own.

I do like jumbo card tricks, but not monologue tricks with jumbos. I think the effect should be able to stand on it's own or cut that patter in half to give more impact to the effect.

jumbo manipulations look great....troubles with angles surrounded, but, wow, they look great and get emediate attention and interest.

I'm rambling
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6~7~8~9~10..22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL