The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..22~23~24 [Next]
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
What would we do without Chad.
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
841 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Chad, you ********... Smile

You know... and you can check on this... I've NEVER ended with "just my thoughts" EVER before..
Maybe this sort of thing is catching? You think that's possible? By watching clones, you actually catch CLONE FEVER?

A bit like U2 and their new single sounding JUST LIKE "Pump it Up" by Elvis Costello?

Chad.. sounds to me like you're a bit poorly..with your sniffing and wheezing.. hope you're not CATCHING anything! Smile
Are you serious about attending the Mario gig in Cardiff?
I'm trying to get booked in, as I'll be in the Uk around then, and it's too good to miss....

Regards, all

DCB
"With every mistake - we must surely be learning..." George Harrison.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Yeah, I'm going to Cardiff. It'd be good to meet you. Lucky for me I have a 100% original show!
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
841 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Chad,

How do you feel about getting up and performing in front of a bunch of secrets merchants and line grabbers?
Because,,, that's what you may have to do.
The global situation regards travel, means that your script could be round the world as standard in 30 days.

How you like that idea?

Said DCB, clearly thinking about his own position...

DCB
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
For a small town 1-pitch guy like me...doesn't really make a difference. This will most likely be the one time I travel to street perform. So unless the "Chad Ballyhoo" clones of the future happen to decend upon Ohio, I'll be safe.

That being said, my show isn't all that easy to steal either.

For starters, you'd need the balance of a stilt walker, decent wand spin dexterity, the ability to juggle knives, wicked good looks, the lung capacity to mouth inflate balloons, and have a fairly decent pain tolerance.

If you have all that in the bag, then my show is easy though. Smile
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13411 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2009-01-27 20:28, Chad wrote:
For starters, you'd need the balance of a stilt walker, decent wand spin dexterity, the ability to juggle knives, wicked good looks, the lung capacity to mouth inflate balloons, and have a fairly decent pain tolerance.

woah, neat, yikes, nice!, awesome, ouch!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
deadcatbounce
View Profile
Special user
the Wilds of Ireland
841 Posts

Profile of deadcatbounce
Chad,

In that case... why not put the two grand towards a holiday?

Looks like you got it all sewn up, what with your good looks, high pain threshold, your big ol' stilts, your glove puppets, your extra large lungs, your ability to mimick the late, great Jimmy Durante and Gene Kelly on stilts, your synchronised swimming, and your fantastic Wall of Death motorbike show, not forgetting your three hour soot juggling extravaganza...

We could do with a few of you in Ireland.

:)
:)

Ho- ho!!!

Cheers!
DCB
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Glove puppet?!?! I never thought of using them...hmm

...hey, you don't mind if I borrow that idea do ya?
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Great Chad and DCB
When your both in Cardiff I provide you the stocks and you can all kick my ass I love the Parachute line. Any way Gazzo nicked that from me.
Mario
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi all before Christmas in Anderlucia I meet Keiichi Iwasaki from Japan. At first I sore him with a small crowd around him. He dressed poorly his back drop was his bike He did not have an overwelming charater or an increable magic show. He had a great smile one of humillity he caught my eye and I watched him. I think many other buskers may have just walked passed him without giving him a secound look. He did a linking ring routeen, small rings, then napkin tricks multplying balls, disapearing silks, he then made a mouse from his napkin that became his finale. Then he sart agin real worker, but he had a humble presence. His magic was not earth shatering but fun and entertaining well polished. I enjoyed this watching him because he was one man and his bike, no politics but the freedom of the road. We eneded up talking and I found him to be very delightfull. He is cycling around the World, he left Japan in 2005 and plans to cycle around the world while busking pays for his trip. He has set ten years aside to do this. We sat down drinking tea as he showed news paper artical after photo clip. The many sunsets he enjoyed, the beautifull pepole he had met
He told me about bandits holding him at gun point on three seperate ocasions while cycerling through the middle/far east. They wanted a small bribe each time to let him pass. It was only untill he hit Europe did they steal his bike. I got an email from just before Christmas saying they stole his bike agian.
I have full faith in Keiichi Iwasaki to conpleate his jouerney as long as know one stops him. One thing that may stop him is poltics local all global. What I learned from this man is don't get caught up with poltics of streets that will just rob you of living the life.
Mario
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
I think this school mario and gazzo are throwing would be best thing for our american performers to do.

they would get an artistic lesson not available to my knowledge in this country and they would learn how to make the money they need to support themselves and families YET provide a quality performance.

I would suggest that if you have the ability to do this you should.

it has been my experience that when an american performer goes to europe most of the time they come back good, real good. put this with having the abilty to be trained by some of the best in the business.

my only worry is that some hard headed numb skulls will still not be able to know the difference between "copying" and working with permission and changing the material into something more original yet continuing the tradition of the teachers work.

my second worry is that some american workers may not be honest with themselves and block out working on their talent and focusing on their money making skills.

yet regardless of my opinions and worry even if everything goes wrong this would still be the greatest thing that could happen to the american magician since cellini was here instructing.

if your not going to this and you consider yourself a serious busker I would hope it is because you have one heck of a reason that prevents you from doing so.

chad I especially think this would be great for you, but I would also suggest you travel about europe if you can to see as many buskers as possible.

it has been my hope for a long time that you would be able to see the other side of the opinion first hand working in a more successful manner.

it is certain that gazzo over the years has focused on the big pitch and the big hat when instructing his students or others, but in my humble opinion he has an extrordinary amount of knowledge in our work and history, I know this first hand having talked to him and his students.....but it should seem obvious that his act speaks for it self.

the guy is pure talent at no point do people feel like he is stalling or badgering them.....and this of course is my point.

once again my humble opinion, he has been doing this a lot longer then me and doing it better.

at any rate many people have learned from him and failed to learn that side of him and I hope this wont be the case again.

if your an american busker please go.
FunTimeAl
View Profile
Special user
987 Posts

Profile of FunTimeAl
Thanks for the encouragement/support Jimmy. I appreciate it. I'll at least be able to hang out in London for a couple of days after the school & perhaps hop over to Paris & surrounding areas for a week after that.

Just depends on how much $ I can amass before the trip. I don't plan on living off my street performing while there...I'm not close enough to being that good.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Buskerb,

loved this post.

I love blunt.

breath of fresh air.

it's honest.

believe me your reservations about forums are based on fact....i'm sorry.

fortunately the magic Café is one of the best ones in my opinion.

most of the youtube stuff is all just what it looks like, me experimenting with stuff. mostly "pat" material and some from my teachers.

I can't say I am all that good, there are much better performers out there no question.

I have taken the time to try and engulf myself in this work and see as many acts as I could.

europe definately improved my show and footing as you say, no question.

it also enabled me to try more stuff because the crowds were more patient and interested in busking.

europe seems to give you a better understanding that what we are doing is normal, a real job, and that we are artists and very important to our societies.

the states I think helped the footing of my character which I don't feel has been intirely expressed on youtube as much as I would like.

I play a fool a very american fool with very american humur in my opinion.

my show in real life is tight and with a rythm of its own.

I am honestly embarassed to speak this way about myself but I feel it might be necassary to speak up for the work in order to give credability to the book.

it may be of better benifit to ask those who have seen my work.

also some pitches work better then others for an entertainers show.
the idea of course is to try and find the one that best suits your show and milk it...or keep traveling with a show that is more liquid.

please see my blog;

jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com

you can buy my book here;

http://www.leapinglizardsmagic.com/csspa......acle.htm

as far as the book being slapped together, remember it was written by a busker speaking to buskers and would be buskers not to the usuall clientel of genii magazine.

just the same even though I have not read the review myself I am very flattered they even took the time to review it.

I do feel it is unfortunate the more credable writers in our industry have not written what is common knowledge and crucial to being a magician....leaving me to slap it together as it were.

I am refering to the second subject in the book after busking and titled "our mysterious society."

I have recieved very good reviews on the forums and by buskers around the world....but I would suggest you read it.

one last thing I would value your review of it very much after reading your blunt honest post.

your pal jimmy.
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
472 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Chad, you´re welcome to Sweden as well.

Hĺkan
:wavey:
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Thanks Jimmey
I am very much looking forward to the School of Busking. I don't consider my self as a master or one of the best. Instead I consider it as great pleasuer to work alone side a Master like Gazzo.I do consider my self as a real worker. I have run the School of Busking twice befor but on my own. This corse is diffrent to what Gazzo or I have done before. This is not a Gazzo cup and ball workshop, it is about the student. Gazzo will be covering C&B but that is not the main purpose of the corse we both will cover a whole lot more.

Having Gazzo on board has rasied the expectations through the roof which I am pleased about. I have been a student of Gazzo in the past and I can say he is a great teacher and a top guy. By conbining both Gazzo and my self you will get a well balanced veiw of street performing. Gazzo a Master who works the streets, festavels and a lot, lot more and my self. I look for the freedom of the road, I seek to work where no man has worked before. For me street performing is a life style far more than just my job.
every thing I don revoles around my SP. I don't care for street politics or sharing a pitch, first come first served is my ideal. don't get me wrong I do and will share pitches, that is when it is the norm for that pitch for exampe C Garden or the Edinburg Fringe so on. I look for markets that have to be broken into. Over the years I have developed versatile methods of working both the streets, markets and festavels. This experiance is what I am not going to hold back on. I guess I am old school in life. I have taken to my motor home instead of a plane. I don't wear a watch, I don't want a tv. I had plastic in my pocket for less than three mounths, scarey thing, my hat is my main provider, if I don't busk I don't eat. So no holding back you got Gazzo a master performer and teacher and you got me. A worker, I lean on the simpisty of magic. I work with props from dippy duck to SJ escapes. While performing my aim is to entertian and create magic, comedy, moments and then I pass my hat. I am a traverler a busker and I live a nomadic life because that is what I was born to do their is nothing else I can or want to do, I hope you willlearn from my experiances as I teach alone side a Master.
Mario
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
439 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
Quote:
On 2009-01-26 19:45, jimmy talksalot wrote:
Valid question.

the idea is to put out a show that is worth paying for.
a show where people forget how long they've been watching and want to see more even when your done.
talent. complete originality.
...show the audience that what you do is valuable by doing good work.
once they realize that what they are watching is good then ask for the money that's justifiable.....

your pal jimmy

Thank you Jimmy for replying directly to my post (and to Chad). I am taking it to mean on the issue of when and how you ask for a contribution to the hat that one does not lay on exhortations to contribute to the hat too thickly, too soon, or too repeatedly to the audience. That one should first give them something good to watch! (I also note the points about being good/original/not a clone) I would assume also that Jimmy's view when you get round to plugging the hat asking for the money that you don't do it too forcefully. That there should be some restraint shown..
To Chad... if I go busking soon (I have been a close up magician for 25 years and stand up magician for 10... but not full time with either), I may well start in busking as you suggest.... Instead of 1x 30 minute show I'll experiment with 2x 15 minute shows (though I'm hoping my experience will mean I can progress quickly to the 30-minute show).

Again, thanks to all for a very interesting thread. Lots of very good advice and viewpoints from very many.
mrsmiles
(UK)
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Mrsmiles,

glad you injoyed the post,

I hope these questions can give you a good feel about what I'm saying.

is the trick that I am doing good? is it fooling everyone?
are my jokes really funny? are my skills at magic, juggling, what ever, really good?

IF SO, HOW DO I KNOW THESE THINGS? ARE MY SOURCES RELIABLE?

do the people not care how the magic is actually done or it's secret, because my performance is so strong, the plot and story are so attractive that they are too engulfed in it to even have any time to be thinking about any thing other then my performmance.

would my act compete with something that somebody would actually travel or pay to see? or on television? the cinema?

in my opinion you could badger the people for money if they loved you doing it! if it fit the character! probably as a running joke with a final serious request at the end.

one last thing.

a performer should use humility and disipline in constructing their work,

when a person sucks they should not try and hide it but correct it.

they should not settle for something that has finally managed to make a few or a bundle of bucks BUT SHOULD STRIVE FOR WORK THAT IS ETERNAL.

EG W.C.FIELDS, CHARLIE CHAPLIN, george carl, cardini, lance Burton[as a current example], dai vernon......WE STILL KNOW THESE NAMES.

and will know them in the future for many years to come not just because of there marketing skills {which obviously is a factor but not my point} but because of the quality and fanatism that went into their work. dai vernon being the most obvious and exagerated illustration here.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24274 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Jimmy:

I agree with you wholeheartedly about the concept of what gets the most money may not necessarily be the most original and/or the most skilful performer.

During the 26 years I worked at the Texas Renaissance Festival and other similar venues, I saw a lot of acts come and go. Some were very talented and original and got a lot of money.

The one that got the most money was an act that shall be unnamed. Those who know the RenFaire circuit will know the act. While the act was original, the skill involved with it was marginal. Most of it consisted in the captivation that a pseudo-vent figure provided. The operator's head was covered, so he did not need to have any technique at all.

His act consisted basically of hounding the audience for money. His finale at one particular point in his career consisted in sending two people down the aisles of his stage area with garbage sacks to see which one would gather the most money.

I don't know how much he made. However, based on what I know about the seating at the theatre he was working, he couldn't have possibly made less than $500 a show. Do the math -- $500 a show for four shows a day. Darn good money.

A friend of mine suggested that I come up with a similar gimmick. I couldn't do it. I didn't feel it was right.

Maybe that's just me.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hay Jimmy
don't forget Tommy Copper, the Master of opps, I glad you mentioned CHARLIE CHAPLIN perhaps Laurel and Hardy and Harold loyed. These where my child hood heros. I had posters and postcards of them on my wall as a kid. These guys where masters of making the simple look great. Take Tommy Copper and his and his egg bag routine or his Martini Bottle routine. No Magician whould be able to get away with that at his local club. Why could Tommy, he was a master clown, ken Dod what a nutter, off his bloody head but hero to thousands of Brits. Now their approach to magic very sloopy often reavealing but very, very funny and extreamly entertaining. Tommy Copper could go to the local joke shop during the day and perform with what he bought their that night. I love this kind of stuff, I love British Humor, I love performer that alow the clown in them to make an appeariance. Clowning around is a very inportant acept to street thearter. Visual comedy, a stair, a smile, a move, a bump. I use to love how Tommy could go on stage with out a word, trick nothing other than a cough and the pepole would laugh.
Just like that.
Mario
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

I would also like to mention since I havn't for awhile that If you wanna learn how to street perform I have a book out and a free instructional blog;

jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com

check it out.

and good luck y'all at the school for those of you that are going.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..12~13~14~15~16..22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.27 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL