The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3528 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Quote:
On 2010-07-27 01:26, Hawkan wrote:
Stockholm hade the pleasure of hosting a street art festival two weeks ago, and there were some very good artists from around the world doing their shows. It was the first time I (and surely the rest of the Stockholmers) saw anything like it.

One thing that pretty soon got annoying to me - and I heard many people saying it too - was the constant talk about giving them money. And the more they talked about it, the more drawn-out was the show. I saw the shows several times, and the artist that seemed to get the absolutely biggest hats was the one NOT going on and on about giving her money after the show. And that show was (in my opinion) the artistically best one. Something happened all the time, the performer seemed to enjoy herself and having fun, almost no stock lines used. It lasted maybe 40 minutes but it felt like 10. Very inspiring.

I believe too many hat-lines and talking about money really cheapens the show. The audience GET IT.

I do think that Jimmy´s method is a better way to go (but not cloning him). It doesn´t underestimate the spectators or insult their intelligence.

HÃ¥kan
:wavey:

There is a big difference between a "hat-LINE" and a "hat-SHOW"...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Hawkan
View Profile
Elite user
Sweden
495 Posts

Profile of Hawkan
Yes, it is. I believe the correct ratio is maximun 0.3 hat-lines per minute. After that it becomes a hat-show.

HÃ¥kan
:wavey:
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Couldn't agree more with y'all.

sorry I took so long responding.

after reading some of the questions and discussions on other threads, it reminded me that it would probably be a good idea to remind people about the free instructional blog.

it's free and I took a lot of time with it. the hardest part was tracking all the old timers down and gettin their wisdom, to put down in writing.

it don't make me any money and it don't cost you a cent.

when people write me and tell me how much it's helped, that's payment enough.

thank you all for everything.

your pal jimmy.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

geoffa
View Profile
New user
Nashville, TN
57 Posts

Profile of geoffa
Thanks for putting this information out there, Jimmy. It's very useful for folks like me who are thinking about putting together a street, or even a street style/inspired, routine. Really, great stuff.
streetguy
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of streetguy
Hello everyone! I'm new here but performed for over 40 years in different venues around the world. Mostly as a festival and fair performer, I used to work the streets in San Fran at the Warf over thirty years ago, and moved to New York City in the late eighties. Worked along side Albert Owens, a fella named Keith, Master Lee, and a few others...I used to hang around at Tannens and got to meet some of the greats (Slydini, Garcia, etc.) I even shared a pitch with Jim Cellini on several occasions! Actually, he shared with me, what a learning experience that was! I have since moved to middle America (Missouri) and don't do much in the way of performing anymore due to health reasons.
Getting old, and doing nothing can make you run crazy. Retired means BORED.

I'm not too good at this computer thing but will try and keep up...

Anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and say hello.

Hope to talk with you all and make some new friends along the way.
MitchellMac
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of MitchellMac
Great!!! I liked the video a lot too!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Sorry I took so long responding, I have been busy working and doing family stuff.

I have a bunch of stuff on the who's who blog about kieth, and albert, cellini, etc.

thanks so much for the interest.

I try and keep this thread up so poeple will get a chance with the free instructional blog, so even, or especially if they don't have money they can learn how to do their lifes work (magic) as a living.

the reason the free blog is up is because of many of these old masters who told me to put it up.

I havn't updated the blog inna while but I have a huge amount of stuff that has been getting backed up, that will be going up soon....so keep an eye out for it.

thanks again,

your pal jimmy
Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
View Profile
New user
85 Posts

Profile of Ivan Nikolayevich Ponyryov
Thank you Jimmy.
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Jimmy

Loved your article titled MAKE YOUR OWN STANDARD. I thought it has a lot of meaning and not just for street performing. Thanks
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

My Favorite 4 minutes of magic on youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iU4Lcc2CvHY
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

My Favorite 4 minutes of street performing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGghPkWaqHE

When he took his wig off and put on bald guy I lost it. Please read credits funny as well. Sorry if this is not right topic for this post Jimmy.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words and interest y'all.

also I would like to remind everyone that I have added some more buskers on the who's who blog.

check it out you may have seen some of these folks.

I will be putting some more up soon.

http://sidewalkperformerswhoswho.blogspot.com/
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Jimmy, you ever thought about coming out with a second book?
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Yeah, I'm thinkin about a new book....but, I dunno.

also I have been taking many students.

breaking tradition a little, I do not charge them money for instruction.

but, I definately demand commitment from them.

I am definately not making any money on lectures or products....i guess I'm a bad businessman...oh well.

I do all this, because I love it and I love seeing people start a new life.

I may even do a free lecture soon, or I may just hat the lecture.....haha...i dunno.

also I was thinking, doing a lecture out on the pitch itself so I could keep almost a normal work day and then just hang out with the crew that shows up and answer questions.

so far in my life, I make enough to support myself and family from the streets, and taking on students has definately made me a lot of friends, who keep me in the loop, because I spend so much time working, sometimes keeping up with what's new escapes me.

also seeing how busking can change some ones life for the better is very rewarding for me.

I really appreciate everyones interest here, I can only hope they are, or will be, as blessed to discover this wonderful way of life, as I have.
noland
View Profile
Veteran user
350 Posts

Profile of noland
Rather than write another book, you should release a dvd. I think there would be a lot of interest in it--certainly among everyone who bought your book--and it would position you to do paid lectures for magic clubs and other magician gatherings if you wanted to generate some income from a new source when you're not busking.
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
670 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
When will a new article be posted?
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Quote:
On 2011-01-10 16:51, jimmy talksalot wrote:
Yeah, I'm thinkin about a new book....but, I dunno.

also I have been taking many students.

breaking tradition a little, I do not charge them money for instruction.

but, I definately demand commitment from them.

I am definately not making any money on lectures or products....i guess I'm a bad businessman...oh well.

I do all this, because I love it and I love seeing people start a new life.

I may even do a free lecture soon, or I may just hat the lecture.....haha...i dunno.

also I was thinking, doing a lecture out on the pitch itself so I could keep almost a normal work day and then just hang out with the crew that shows up and answer questions.

so far in my life, I make enough to support myself and family from the streets, and taking on students has definately made me a lot of friends, who keep me in the loop, because I spend so much time working, sometimes keeping up with what's new escapes me.

also seeing how busking can change some ones life for the better is very rewarding for me.

I really appreciate everyones interest here, I can only hope they are, or will be, as blessed to discover this wonderful way of life, as I have.

Hello Jimmy

Your far from breaking a tradition!

Sharing ideas on pitch with other people it is what every busker does.
There are countless encounters and sharing ideas and no one charges, rather it is an exchange.
I do and I have witnessed teaching taking place on pitches for years.

To open it up on pitch is it largely becomes about your show instead of the students.

The danger is copying!
The problem has arrises especially amongst magicians is playgerlisam.
Other performers coming not just to watch you but to copy your act word for word.

Never use a working pitch as part of a course or teaching event, that's a big no, no.
Great consideration has to be taken of where to teach.

We could have run the School at Edinburgh, Convent Garden and so on.
I would not dream of it, this is sacred ground.
So we find play grounds, Cardiff is a great example, this is an exerlent place in which to learn busking while not stepping on the toes of fellow buskers.

To avoid this I will only work with one act at a time on pitch, this is long term and a free exchange.
IE I will watch your show and give you feed back and now you can watch mine and son on.

This keeps me in check, I am always learning that way.
Just because I have written a book, produced DVD and founded the School of Busking does not mean I cant learn from fellow performers.
In the last few years I have been watching some of the best talent rise around me.

Creating an environment for example a course you can create an environment which is about the students.
Their show, their ideas and their successes.
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
Mario wrote: "Creating an environment for example a course you can create an environment which is about the students.
Their show, their ideas and their successes."
I agree! Teaching, in whatever form, is about the student gaining skills. Not the teacher's ego, or "I know so much you should be grateful to me." Teaching should centre the student, the learner gaining knowledge and skills and correct attitudes.
The presentation makes the magic.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

I also believe it is all about the student.

the only things I really get is, what I can learn from them and furthering the tradition.

but for me these are big things.

of course my students take pretty good care of me if I need anything, I have been very fortunate.

my goal is to make my students better than me.

and this has happened over and over again.

sometimes it's pretty humbling when they out shine me by a mile,

but it makes it all worth while when I see what the art form and the fellow artist is capable of.

my students are fanatics, all of them.

if I don't see that in a potential student I will not take him.

this loses friends sometimes, but since I don't charge I can't afford a wishy washy ego maniac.

it costs me too much time, money, and patience.

argumentive guys with big egos have never been able to show me greatness in thier work,

so saddly there's no reward for me.

I look for guys who want to work every second of the day and are looking at this as a career, a "real job" their lifes work, what they were born to do.

instead it seems very often I get the type of guy, who wants to romance the idea of the streets and wants the street cred with out actually really working the street, so I try and avoid them.

of course if I charged I wouldn't hesitates to teach these guys in an hour or two lecture....

because then it's their time and money their wasting....not mine.

I know I must sound harsh, but with the large work load of helping so many,

I feel I have to focus on the ones who are serious,

instead of trying to make myself more popular....once again I'm not charging.

my objective is quality, not quantity when producing street magicians.

many have read my blog and become very successful street performers with out every meeting me in person.....because they are fanatics.

you wanna be good at this?

do magic, all the time, every where, for who ever will watch it.

your pal jimmy.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..17~18~19~20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL