The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Riff raff,

sorry I havn't been writing any new stuff.

I have been spending huge time trying to work the streets to make ends meet with my family.

you see I am stuck over here in southern california and it is very difficult here.

I have to put in a lot of hours here to make what I might make in an hour, anywhere else.

but I have some stuff I have been stewing on and it will go up shortly on the blog.

I especially have good news about how small doorway/sidewalk acts can make a living in a small town that has little to no walkers......

well, that's because, that's what I have had to do here, for the past two years!

and.

mario,

as always thanks for all the kind words, and thank you so much for all you have done for all of us.

as far as clones, I hear you brother, what a pain in the neck they are.

the way I teach, people who would clone, hate me, because I am a task master for an original show and original character.

fanatics don't clone.

fanatics don't clone.

case in point;

http://sidewalkperformerswhoswho.blogspo......ino.html

chaplino is a typical of my students in the sense that, none of them are alike and none of them have cloned a show.

I am very proud of this and post them all up on the who's who blog along with teachers, peers, and friends.

http://sidewalkperformerswhoswho.blogspot.com/

your pal jimmy.

oh yeah and if anyone wants to learn how to be a street performer, check out the free instructional blog;

http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com/
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Check out this guy for an original act;

http://sidewalkperformerswhoswho.blogspo......obo.html

check out all of his videos on youtube this guy is incredable.

this is a great example of a student who has out done me by a mile.

there is some better footage of the same trick if you look for it.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
HA! Lightfoot was telling me of a guy cracking a mouse from an egg! very pretty!!
MagiCol
View Profile
Special user
Dargaville, New Zealand
929 Posts

Profile of MagiCol
"I especially have good news about how small doorway/sidewalk acts can make a living in a small town that has little to no walkers...... " Jimmy, that will be very interesting to me, 'cause my most regular pitch is in a small city where things can be pretty quiet.
The presentation makes the magic.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2753 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2011-01-26 21:08, jimmy talksalot wrote:
Riff raff,

sorry I havn't been writing any new stuff.

I have been spending huge time trying to work the streets to make ends meet with my family.

you see I am stuck over here in southern california and it is very difficult here.
oh yeah and if anyone wants to learn how to be a street performer, check out the free instructional blog;

Jimmy, the blog is a great service you perform for street magicians. It is not your livelihood.
Do it when you can, we'll wait.

Quote:
On 2011-01-27 20:05, MagiCol wrote:
"I especially have good news about how small doorway/sidewalk acts can make a living in a small town that has little to no walkers...... " Jimmy, that will be very interesting to me, 'cause my most regular pitch is in a small city where things can be pretty quiet.

Me too, as they don't make "cities" smaller than Providence (maybe Newport) any smaller than this and it becomes a "town."

I'm pretty certain I don't have the level of commitment you do Jimmy, but I'm trying.
A few years ago, I wouldn't even be out there, now I'm there and not making very much. In time, I hope to be out there making more.
"There's no time to lose," I heard her say.
"Catch your dreams before they slip away."
"Dying all the time, lose your dreams and you could lose your mind.
Ain't life unkind?"
RiffRaff
View Profile
Special user
645 Posts

Profile of RiffRaff
Jimmy:
I really like your crowd build, but I was wondering - do you change your technique depending on the pitch, and if so, how?
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Worked alongside Diobo in Edinburgh last year. He was the one act EVERYBODY wanted to see. Other performers, audience, and staff if the Fringe. Soooo different from all the rest. Aspired to be 'real Magic' so to speak. Truly great act.

James James
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Welp ok,

I finaly wrote how I have been making a living now for two years in a town with very little foot traffic.

it's on my free instructional blog and it's titled "SURVIVING IN A SMALL TOWN"

it's a bit long, but, as many of you know in small towns, there's a lot going against us and there needs to be a strategy that overcomes quite a bit.

for the past two years, I have had to deal with a town culture that is very cliqueish and is opposed to art or new things.

this is not to say it is devoid of people who want to make it better, and I have tryed to suuround myself with them,

to keep my sanity and livilyhood.

here's the link;

http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com/2011/......ing.html

by the way, yeah, diobo, is the man!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

This may or may not, be a tuff artical to read if you are not that familiar with busking.

so I would suggest you read the rest of the instructional blog, to pick up some of the lingo and concepts.

I assure the reader the rest of my blog isn't so difficult to read.

your pal jimmy.
starksanity
View Profile
New user
40 Posts

Profile of starksanity
Great article!

If you are stuck on a small pitch for any reason, or you are starting out and can't travel to learn, this article gives all you need to know to make busking work for you.

I have seen Jimmy using these techniques for months now, and at first it was mind-blowing to see his success while I and a few others (especially weekend warriors) struggled. So I swallowed my pride and listened to what Jimmy had been telling me. I am on pitch right now, paying my bills, and most importantly, NOT doing a real job.

I am glad you wrote this article, Jimmy, but why did you have to give it to everyone? Smile

This is what I've learned; when Jimmy speaks, don't just listen, DO. He won't steer you wrong.
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Heya Jimmmy,

Interesting article....I honestly admire your strong work ethic!!

With all that constant performing, I was wondering if you ever experience burn-out and if so how you deal with it.

Plus the voice, or rather the loss of voice from constant bantering during the show. Has it ever been a problem for you????

I know from my experience, these are 2 issues that are sometimes huge obstacles that I'm always looking how others deal with.

Ta
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
658 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
If I may be so bold to interject here:
I worked.for many years in restaurants and bars. Burn out was something I had to deal with in those venues specifically. But when I started concentrating on the street, all that disappeared. Every show was different largely because the people I had to interact with were different. I listened to them and responded to their own concern and comments. There was no more burn out because I was responding in the moment.
In restaurants, on the other hand, everything became rote; same routines performed to the same expressions of disbelief and wonder and it was all the same. Sterilized and certified boredom on my part, no immediacy or intimacy, no real relationship between me and my audience.
The street is the cure for burn out. Its unpredicability and challenge makes me reach deeper inside than any other venue I have ever worked. I've learned more there than I would have dreamed anywhere else.
And as to voice, you learn how to conserve your resources, be it energy or efforts. Make them effective.
Eric Evans
View Profile
Special user
Rio Grande
658 Posts

Profile of Eric Evans
Addendum:
I am not advocating ANYBODY else try the street. Thanks largely to Jimmy's blog there seem to be more every day. The street was the cure for me, that's all I can speak of. All I am advocating is...well, pursue your dream. No, screw that. Joseph Cambell and his "bliss" be d####d.
Just deal with it.
As to voice, get an amplifier.
Nick W
View Profile
Special user
515 Posts

Profile of Nick W
Amp are nice.........if you cant afford you can always try the good ole' voice warm up! take a voice lesson............

Sandy Spillman put out fantastic tapes on voice exercises........not finding these tapes is a mistake...
Stperformer
View Profile
Loyal user
289 Posts

Profile of Stperformer
Wow, thank ya Nick and Eric. Talk about high-level qualified advice Smile)))

Barclay
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Jimmy

For small show Amp or no Amp. This seems to be a lot deeper question than it looks like on surface.

Music can set mood
People know your not a bum

Something else to carry

Insights Please.

Thanks
Rotten
View Profile
Special user
833 Posts

Profile of Rotten
Well I am neck deep in information I could have used last weekend. Is Jimmy's book still available to purchase? And if so where?

Regards,
Ted
epoptika
View Profile
Elite user
Florida
471 Posts

Profile of epoptika
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Welp, I'll thow out my two cents.

in my opinion...

I think an amp for a small sidewalk show is really cool.

I don't normally use one (except in paid festivals), I like to travel light.

but I love watching when a good close up performer uses one......if he knows how to use an amp.

an amp should not be blaring, it should simply make your voice sound more pro.

the great thing about an amp is it is doing all the crowd building for you all throughout the show.

as the people are walking up they hear a pro from inside the crowd and come up to see what's going on inside the tight crowd.

just because a show is close up,

doesn't mean it shouldn't have all the proper stage equipment of the big shows.

like; lights, music, costume, and proper staging.

I've seen jerry salazar use an amp with a very small tight crowd on the wharf in frisco.

at one point he even did a silent ring routine to music with the amp and his impeccable costume.

he looked really pro.

I love the small creative well produced acts, always have.

me and "Toot" worked with a large battery spot light for night shows and that built crowds and held em cuz they could see.

but don't get me wrong I have seen some really bare bones acts and they played great too!

I guess it's all up to you.

Oh yeah, if you wanna learn how to street perform I have a FREE instructional blog for you.

the blog is huge and has any question any one could have about busking and it's all free.

it has huge contributions of wisdom from a slew of masters with many years under their belt.

your pal jimmy.
Chance
View Profile
Inner circle
1385 Posts

Profile of Chance
Hey all, it looks like this thread has been re-opened.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..15..18~19~20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.19 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL