The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Profile of jimmy talksalot
Yay, they like us here.

thanks Chance, mr. wilder, and especially mr. scribner.

and thank all of you for all the nice stuff you said.

it should be understood that I am not making anything off of the blog.

the education I am trying to provided is all free and costs me time and money to provide for people...all of which is made from busking alone.

even my book deal goes to my students in books and stuff.

my publisher, my teachers, and students, have all made huge sacrifices to be able to provide for artists.

I make zero profit, infact it costs me a lot to do the things I do for busking, but I do it because I am indebted to those who gave me my life in it.

I am not in the business of marketing busking stuff, I busk for a living.

and for the magic Café to allow all of us here to do that, makes me extremely grateful.

there are those out there who may try to twist this up, or put a spin on it, and I feel bad for them.

I just believe in busking and I feel like I owe my life to it and I know it could help so many because I have seen how many it has helped already.

I believe the more quality acts that are out there, will lure more public interest in what we do and will only make us all more successful at making a living at it.

if your a magician who needs a venue, come out to the street.

thanks again, all y'all

your pal jimmy
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Thanks again Chance
fireperformer911
View Profile
Special user
547 Posts

Profile of fireperformer911
Whom ever un-locked thread. THANK YOU!!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

I just wrote a new one if any ones interested.

titled;

"IT'S HARDER TO DO IT THE MASTERS WAY."

http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com/2011/......way.html
HerbLarry
View Profile
Special user
Poof!
731 Posts

Profile of HerbLarry

:applause: Magic is real and never forget it's importance to a Magician for Pete's sake. (I don't personally know Pete but I'm sure he would agree)
You know why don't act naive.
SamTheMagicMan
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of SamTheMagicMan
I don't think I have enough capability with language to express how much Jimmy's thinking and philosophy have inspired me. After giving up magic for a number of years, Jimmy's videos and blog reminded me of everything I love about the art and inspired me to make a new start. This quote from Jimmy's most recent blog post really hit home for me:

"after all the streets are an escape from conforming to the business machine....don't make them the same nightmare we ran away from in the first place."

Jimmy's kinetic, energetic, and highly original magic have been a revelation for me. Because of Jimmy, in the last two years I have taken significant steps toward becoming a full-time magician. I hope that one day I can meet him in person and thank him for how much his FREE advice has changed my life!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

HerbLarry and Sam,

Thank you sooo much for getting it.

sometimes I am in awe at how some people starting out with nothing more than written word and some footage go out there and make it happen.

this definately shows talent and commitment on their part.

learning how to busk proffessionally is really tuff.

this is why I write so much hoping I am helping.

when I get responces like this, it is so rewarding to me, honestly.

I guess I'm getting old.

another thing is it's nice to hear that there are people that can relate to me....sometimes I feel pretty alone out here....there arn't too many of us out here......it's a tuff pitch.

sam I hope to meet you out on the sidewalk some day.

your pal jimmy.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi Jimmy

Great Blog I enjoyed your thinking of the sociology of the Magician, exerlent!

The part I am divided over is when you start talking about circle shows and how you know because you have done it!

Well their are a lot of generic street shows out their, true.

Eqwely their are some great purist out their who shows are far from generic.

To through the baby out with the bath warter may be a little short sighted I think.

It is a real tough thing to draw a large circle show.

I started off with a circle show and I did so for 8 years got into doorway shows well to be frank because its easer!

I guess if I keep on going down that path the next step I will be becoming a slug on a crate, which will lead me to being a drunk on a bench, LOL

Got to laugh at our selfs.

Instead I brought my old Circle show back out and it feels good, no amps and cant stand those things instead lots of play.

I feel like a kid again, so much to learn with so little time.

To build from scratch and the sociology behind it is full of magical wonder of creating curiosity in the public and to do that well, gee that is tough. So much re-learn and learn, that is what I love about the streets, so much to learn.

Their are a few purist that will not use amps and so on but have trained their voices into powerful tools of projection.

One class example a man who was my mentor in the early 90 Dave Shore, wow to watch this guy.

Another is Herbie Treehead I don't know him as such but I have watched his show, watching these guys is watching pure art, yes they are circus performers.

Then You have double acts like Charlie and Haggis jugglers, I use to share a pitch with them in Bath, very well known in the Circus world.

Magicians from old School that WE have rarely herd of Billy Busker I shared a pitch with him for some yrs. Fantastic circle show and dam he hatted twice in every show, to this day.

Noel Britain a Comedy Magician Show drew huge audiences.

Fantastic clowning and full of Magic and Wonder and their are so many out their if you no where to look.

I do agree with you in mind of generic shows but to right it off would be non-magical.

Just a thought

The bottom line is I like your thinking about the Magician!

All the best

Mario
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Mario,

we are saying the same thing.

just let it go.
j100taylor
View Profile
Inner circle
1198 Posts

Profile of j100taylor
Quote:
On 2011-05-18 17:12, HerbLarry wrote:

:applause: Magic is real and never forget it's importance to a Magician for Pete's sake. (I don't personally know Pete but I'm sure he would agree)

A magic prophet...
Lakewood, Ohio
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Hey mario,

sorry for the "just let it go" thing, I was half asleep when I posted.

I am a big fan of your work and your instuructional stuff.

didn't mean any disrespect.

thanks for the post some great points.

your pal jimmy.
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Your a Gentleman,
Transparent and Honest which above all is most important!
The heart.
Mario
vernon
View Profile
Special user
Scotland
559 Posts

Profile of vernon
Sitting here on pitch surfing the comments, great to see so much...re voice, yup an amp is a big help... Mine has broken so just using my voice, and it does last, even after all these years, but with a mic,one has more inflection to use when it's a big show. Mario, and Jimmy, love you guys, and have the greatest respect for you both
Now to get to work!!!!

James
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Jimmy, I'm back on the pitch at The Embarcadero. I know you and Roger are on the road. You have a clone here using your mannerisms, cadence, and other bits of business. Check your voicemail kid! It slowed down after Comic-Con.
Israel
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
Gulyás Imre Miklós
View Profile
Regular user
Budapest, Hungary
185 Posts

Profile of Gulyás Imre Miklós
This blog is golden, thank you very much for writing it
I took the Pledge
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
It's certainly my pleasure to document it. I'm thankful that our little dysfunctional sidewalk crew family here are reading it!

I've had many personal messages with some wonderful advice and questions. I thank you for each them.

A video crew is documenting most of the days run. It's a two month shoot to insure that we capture as much material from occasional situational circumstances. Some moments are having to be re-shot due to lighting issues. The videos are being edited at the moment, but look for the uploads very soon.

We are producing three dvds simultaneously on the dynamics of the project,
* marketing (image)
* maximizing earnings potential
* equipment and logistics
* crowd feedback and after dark moments performing at various venues (fun stuff)
* interpersonal relationships both positive and negative among the various busker disciplines i.e. pyschics, balloon workers, other magicians, etc...

I'm posting a blog update tomorrow Mr.Miklos.

I wish to point out, one of the venues we blog about "Seaport Village", is the same spot where Jimmy Talks-Too Much, errr I mean Talks-Alot works and posts about, so you'll have a different opinion on the venue and it's dynamics. Deano the marketing guru from Reno also used to busk there, when he was living in this area.

Have a wonderful evening gang!
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
The Great Zoobini
View Profile
Elite user
Boulder, Colorado
443 Posts

Profile of The Great Zoobini
Quote:
On 2011-08-29 00:53, Devious wrote:
It's certainly my pleasure to document it. I'm thankful that our little dysfunctional sidewalk crew family here are reading it!

I've had many personal messages with some wonderful advice and questions. I thank you for each them.

A video crew is documenting most of the days run. It's a two month shoot to insure that we capture as much material from occasional situational circumstances. Some moments are having to be re-shot due to lighting issues. The videos are being edited at the moment, but look for the uploads very soon.

We are producing three dvds simultaneously on the dynamics of the project,
* marketing (image)
* maximizing earnings potential
* equipment and logistics
* crowd feedback and after dark moments performing at various venues (fun stuff)
* interpersonal relationships both positive and negative among the various busker disciplines i.e. pyschics, balloon workers, other magicians, etc...

I'm posting a blog update tomorrow Mr.Miklos.

I wish to point out, one of the venues we blog about "Seaport Village", is the same spot where Jimmy Talks-Too Much, errr I mean Talks-Alot works and posts about, so you'll have a different opinion on the venue and it's dynamics. Deano the marketing guru from Reno also used to busk there, when he was living in this area.

Have a wonderful evening gang!

You may be interested in another docu but it's not instructional
http://www.thebuskingproject.com
Meet you in Busker Alley Smile
Devious
View Profile
Inner circle
2120 Posts

Profile of Devious
Thank you so much Mr. Zoobini! I took some time to peruse the site. I thoroughly enjoyed going through most of it. Thanks so much for the resource.

Say, has anyone ever told you that Rocco of D'Lite fame looks like you?
Devious Deceptions
"Gadol Elohai!"
L'Chaim!
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

A lot of people have been wondering what I've been up to, because I havn't been on the net inna while.

so I posted about all the projects I am doing for the next two months. this includes pitches, products and lectures.

also if some one wanted to learn from me, but they ain't got any money this blog post would be good to be able to find me to study.

http://jimmytalksalot.blogspot.com/2011/......ure.html

also, I wrote about my experience meeting denny at denny and lee's

what an incredable magician, so fortunate to have met him.
jimmy talksalot
View Profile
Special user
new orleans
757 Posts

Me and Sonny are gonna be in workin sidewalks in vegas.

yep,

the great master Sonny Holliday will be workin next week, on the greatest show business sidewalks in this country,

since we're gonna be in town for our lecture at denny's in vegas, we're gonna be workin the sidewalks in vegas, so if y'all wanna give us a holler or watch our shows while we're out buskin come on down.

if your a big Sonny fan this is a once inna life time thing.

just went and checked it out and vegas is the sidewalk performers dream....miles of very very small sidewalk pitches only large enough for doorway acts with thousands of people walkin by.

I have been donating my fees,hotel pay, and now, any unsold inventory, to denny to show my support for his new free magic school he's putin together.

I'll be writing an artical about this monumental school later.

things are looking up for the beginner who doesn't have the funds to start their new life in magic.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » If you wanna learn how to street perform (16 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19~20~21~22~23~24 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL