The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Shaking Chains (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
This week I received a comment on my chain escape two weeks ago.

The lady said, "Well, you struggled at first, but then you just shook the chains off. That wasn't really an escape. All you did was shake the chains off."

So I asked her what a real escape would look like, and she told me if I picked a few locks it would look real.

How do folks feel about "picking" a couple locks as part of this routine in front of the audience?

Thanks in advance,
Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Cliffg37
View Profile
Inner circle
Long Beach, CA
2491 Posts

Profile of Cliffg37
No need to pick the locks, just let the audience think you did. Make them believe that you have the skill to do something that they never could.
Magic is like Science,
Both are fun if you do it right!
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
You could pick your noes? I am getting really good ..... I can get hte nail right to back of my noes ---- you know where the snot starts to become brain tissue!

Cliff is right just lok lik eyou are - you don't actually have to.
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
I agree that unless you are shaking the chains off the outside of a straitjacket, you must at least present the appearance of picking a lock or two. I think that it is best if your hands are restrained in some way while you are doing this: a Siberian chain, handcuffs with a blue box and belly chain, etc. If your hands are completey free, it just doesn't seem to look that hard.

If you are shaking the chains off the outside of a straitjacket or something similar, try doing some shoulder isolations, going down on your knees, slipping one foot through a loop of chain, etc. That way, it looks like you are solving a puzzle instead of just shaking off the chains. This is also more impressive if you are blindfolded.

Harley teaches his students to vary the pace in escapes, and to get your hands free last. This has proven to be excellent advice. In chain escapes, this means a bit of shoulder isolation to figure out where the tight spots are, maybe a dog shake to loosen things, then carefully slipping through a loop with one foot, then kneeling and shaking, and so on. It would be great to do some of this, then get stuck on one lock. So you have to pick it. Except that your hands are cuffed behind your back or you are blindfolded or something.

You have seen those movies where the trail of gunpowder is burning towards the keg and the guy tied up gets the knife, struggles to open it, starts sawing the ropes, drops the knife and has to get it even though it's almost out of reach, then a lucky catch, more sawing, some clenched teech and sweat, and then he is out just in time. Watch that kind of stuff a couple of times. It's a little symphony.

Yours,

Paul
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5117 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
There are several people that have approached me lately, about teaching an escapes class.

This thread is a perfect example of the types of things that are very difficult to express in words, but can be learned quickly in demonstration.

So, if I teach a one or two day class, who's interested? And when is it convenient?
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Thanks for the advice guys!

The problem of course is timing all this, on a monetary challenge, so that you get out sooner than you were chained.

Fumble all this up with the wrong amount of fiddlin and you could be out a lot of money Smile

That's what almost happened to me two weeks ago.

I have two more escape shows this Saturday and Sunday to do better.
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
P.S. Thanks for a good excuse to get a belly chain and blue box, Paul Smile
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Tod head to the discount handcuf warehouse - excellent prices (until your friend in the usa fed exeses them "next day" then the price goes up - but if you are in the USA its great.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
To give the appearance that you are shaking the chains off must tell you that your girations dureing escape are wrong.

To start off any escape VERY SLOWLY (Doing nothing other that facial expression)Then to wrestle with the chain and as a final be rolling around on the floor, will stop any thoughts of shaking chains off,,,you can`t shake anything off if your on your back rolling around in fact it helps to keep the chains from falling off prematurely thus giveing you the time factor result.

Have never had a shaking statement thrown at me and I average around 200 chain escapes per season.

This is a dirty, sweaty, bloody job,,,the dirt, sweat and blood add to the effect and entertainment of any escape,,,,,the tophat and tails image of a magician who has to be clean and suave etc etc has no place on the stage as an escapologist.

Ken
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Bloody? Where is the blood coming from?

You got a small capsule you pinch in your fingers while doing escapes Smile

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Sometimes, the blood is real. The sweat is always real. The dirt is fake.

Yours,

Paul
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Of course hiding "picks" on my person is a bit of a problem.

Not with my being metal detector searched, which buzzes on any metal.

I could tape something to the floor or hide it inside my shoe, but that doesn't help standing up.

What are some of the ideas everyone has used on your person?

I thought about cutting a long "L" shape out of a nylon spatula and paininting it grey.

Ideas, thoughts?
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
The blood is real so is the sweat. If you work the outside show scene you know the dirt is real too.

The blood&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; When ever I use the Baker or Horn type belt also the steel SJ,,,,I force the wrists against the restraint until the blood runs,,,,the effect is worth the effort and makes the difference between a convincer and a straight. You may think this extreme,,,,I always get off to a good hand and charge accordingly for their guaranteed.

Ken.
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3609 Posts

Profile of Kondini
That last post printed its own letters in mid flight &gt,&gt didn`t come from me !!!!!!!! Must be magic !
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Hey Ken,

I was kidding about the dirt. I use real dirt, too. It's cheaper.

Nothing like icy cold sea water and mud that smells bad, too. I'll post on this one after October 20.

Yours,

Paul
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Well, we'll see how dirty I get this weekend Smile

Any thoughts on "picks" on a person that pass metal detectors?

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
drwilson
View Profile
Inner circle
Bar Harbor, ME
2191 Posts

Profile of drwilson
Tod,

I've sent you a PM on this. I don't want to go into this on an open forum.

Yours,

Paul
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Paul ive pm youd.....
Joe Marotta
View Profile
Special user
Can You Believe I Have
944 Posts

Profile of Joe Marotta
Dave, I sent you a PM too.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Joe is htat the email you sent on Friday from the convension? if so read it and replied. If its a new one .... well I aint had it yet .... stil waiting for one form Freak podergy as well.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Shaking Chains (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL