The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What College/University did/have you attended? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
palmtreemagic!
View Profile
Loyal user
Everywhere and wherever
261 Posts

Profile of palmtreemagic!
Just out of curiosity, where did you go for college?

I'm currently a student at Lehigh University
any magic conventions in the Lehigh Valley area?
Unleashing the moment of astonishment, one impromptu situation at a time.
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Never spent a day in College. My parents told me that college was for people who were going to be doctors or lawyers and since I wasn't going to be a doctor or a lawyer there was no need to go to college. Thanks guys!
This of course made high school a breeze as all I had to do was get the minimal passing grade in whatever classes I took and didn't have to worry about taking the right type of classes or studying for the SAT's or applying for scholarships.
It all worked out in the end though as I found a job in the burgeoning IT field back when you really didn't need a college diploma to land a job.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
S. U. N. Y. College at Purchase.

Great place for the liberal arts while being around the theater/acting/film/arts/music students to get a well rounded education

:)
...to all the coins I've dropped here
GeorgeG
View Profile
Inner circle
Thousand Oaks, CA
1028 Posts

Profile of GeorgeG
U.S.C.
U.C., San Francisco (graduate)
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
University of Gloucestershire- Post-graduate
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
Multiple colleges:

University of New Mexico
University of Maryland
Connors State
Northeastern State University
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I am a graduate of Whatsa matta U in Frostbite Falls MN. class of 1968
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
palmtreemagic!
View Profile
Loyal user
Everywhere and wherever
261 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-03 22:07, Al Angello wrote:

Your university's name sounds like "Whats a matter with you?"
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
I've been to Three

Georgia Military
St. Leo university

And I am now Attending The University of South Carolina, Aiken Campus.
Genuis@work

We're trying to adopt. Visit us HERE
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 22:34, palmtreemagic! wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-03 22:07, Al Angello wrote:

Your university's name sounds like "Whats a matter with you?"

DUH!

Rocky and Bullwinkle ...
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oklahoma University, University of Georgia. I went to a prestigious prep school and am considered a complete failure by their standards by the way.

I would like to state that for the most part college is for seasoning and parties and unless you are going into engineering, medical, or law you'll find most employers will have to take up to two years to remove what ever you learned from your skulls. Also if you are getting degrees in drama, literature, theater, film, liberal arts, art, physical anything, stuff like that you really owe your parents an apology and to pay them back. My favorite story came from a corporate controller, great guy, when his daughter graduated from UCLA with a degree in literature (with a focus on the 18th century American writers, meaning Mark Twain). She graduated and right after the ceremony, still in her robe, she tells her dad "I can't get a job other than teaching and I hate kids! I have to go back to school!". Hee hee. She went to diplomate school and now attends embassy parties as a job. In case your wondering my degree was in history and I've never done a thing with it other than be able to discuss the way Britain was built.
phillipsje
View Profile
Veteran user
329 Posts

Profile of phillipsje
Belmont University in Nashville, TN
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
19th Century.
palmtreemagic!
View Profile
Loyal user
Everywhere and wherever
261 Posts

Yea, I can't believe some people pay $45,000+ a year for learning stuff you'll never need to use
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-10-04 00:47, palmtreemagic! wrote:
Yea, I can't believe some people pay $45,000+ a year for learning stuff you'll never need to use

I've actually met people who got a little upset when they found out I never went to college.

"But your just as smart than I am!" They would protest.

"Yes I am" I would retort "And I haven't any student loans to pay back either" Which makes me smarter I guess.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Companies started by guys who had not graduated college include lil' guys like Apple Computer and Microsoft. I knew a number of high tech managers, directors, and VPs who never went to college. What is kind of sad is my former company, which fired me when they shut down operations along with a thousand other people, has one division left in California. They hired a senior manager and he will not hire anyone who does not have a degree. Doesn't care about experience or any of that stuff. My sister was up for planning manager job but wasn't considered because she isn't a college graduate, she only has worked in the department running a production line for 27 years. The manager who was transfered to Marketing doesn't have a degree, in fact the only person who does is the worse planner they have. In fact with the exception of that one employee the entire department would NOT be qualified for any of the jobs they work in and excell in. It should be noted that the average pay for these non college grads is about $70,000 a year. I've learned over the years to never look down on someone because they didn't go to college because that is absolutely not a measure of intelligence or ability or accomplishment. I also don't look up to those that are grads because it just means a couple things for most of them, they had the time and money to go, that is it. Myself included. I got lucky in the Navy and was on shore and had the time to go and nothing else to do.

Do I think you should go to school? Yes, for the parties and social aspect and because it will give you an edge on getting a job. As for that 'grads make far more than non grads' that is true if you compare an engineer to a guy working at K Mart. In lots of businesses the diploma means nothing after hiring you. Just don't be snotty because your boss could well have not gone.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Thomas A. Edison State University, Marquette University, Ottawa University, Texas Tech University, Wayland Baptist University, Univ. of Arizona, Holy Cross, South African Theological Seminary, St.Andrews, um...I think that is most of them.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4570 Posts

Profile of Payne
Quote:
On 2007-10-04 03:41, photius wrote:

Thomas A. Edison State University,

Ironic for a man who never went to college, or really had much of any formal education (he was home schooled after being called addled by a teacher at the age of twelve) to have a University named after him.
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
For me school is a personal Goal. I have always wanted a degree.

Payne, that is an ironic fact. Thanks for sharing.
Genuis@work

We're trying to adopt. Visit us HERE
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
I believe the following to be reliable, though it's been years since I read it and I can't remember where:

Before WWI, approximately 3% of people in the United States attended post-secondary institutions. Half of those were studying to be clergy.

Think about it. 3%. The world didn't fall apart back then, nor was it in danger of doing so.

Of course, who am I (or Santa or Payne) to say that you shouldn't go if you want to be an engineer or a teacher or a doctor or a lawyer or a scientist or a priest? The others are probably wasting their money. And some day the whole edifice is going to come crashing down, because people are going to figure this out in large numbers. Eventually, economic efficiency will win out, and it's just not efficient to pay people more to do a job because they spent four or five years learning information not relevant to that same job. Higher someone four years younger, pay them less, and train them yourself.

That's the future.

Maybe.

I guess there are actually some irrational factors at work, like going to experience those parties that Santa spoke of.

Jeff

P.S. I'm not listing the schools I attended, but I *did* go, and I'm glad I did. For me it was life-changing. If that makes me a hypocrite, so be it.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What College/University did/have you attended? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL