The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What College/University did/have you attended? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Josh Chaikin
View Profile
Inner circle
Kansas City
1430 Posts

Profile of Josh Chaikin
Johnson County Community College and Washburn University; I also went through Disney University, but that's another matter.
kid iowa
View Profile
Loyal user
Oklahoma
300 Posts

Profile of kid iowa
College should be 2 years of basics, and the last two years of OJT. All the BS I learned in nursing school got thrown out the window the first day on the job. I'd much rather have a person with experience than a degree.
Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile...can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction, "I served in the United States Navy." J.F.K.
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Can't beat the school of hard knocks with professors trial and error.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Quote:
On 2007-10-04 10:50, Payne wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-04 03:41, photius wrote:

Thomas A. Edison State University,

Ironic for a man who never went to college, or really had much of any formal education (he was home schooled after being called addled by a teacher at the age of twelve) to have a University named after him.

Its in New Jersey, Edison's home base, so the state likes promoting things with his name.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Palmtreemagic!
In some quarters irony is a source of humor. You have an uncanny perception of the obvious.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Lansing Community College
Michigan State University
Emory
Georgia State
Cornell
SHK

No degree just a lot of learning, more than I'll ever remember. Smile
POOF!
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I can find a sense of pride in that I was, for the most part, self educated...including attending High School but 42% of the time. It was a conscious decision when I realized the High School I was attending was geared to the bottom feeders and that I had an aversion to someone at a blackboard telling me about what I could be out finding out for myself. I only got a diploma because I showed up and passed their pointless tests. I spent time in Museums helping curators (cleaning bones in some cases or just sweeping up the labs)...filming 8mm
surgeries in the local zoo...volunteering at a large stables in caring for the horses...hunting fossils (and later digging dinosaur in Drumheller)...making movies in my homebuilt studio in the basement...I was way too busy for school which I had come to really dislike and viewed as a big waste of time because I was learning crap.

Over the years I have written a couple of books, had weekly columns, recieved awards in Broadcasting Excellence as well as (ironic as it sounds) commendations from a school district for setting an example for students in proper pronunciation and use of the English Language. I have an article in an Encyclopedia (no not wiki, Astronomical)...I hold regular conversations with PHD types across the web with out a stumble, peer to peer...UNTILL (and here is the point of all the above)...UNTILL I mention that I never went to school other than High School. Suddenly many good conversations just sort of end. (Yes, even on the Café...school snobs I guess) The fact that after High School I tested in the top 2% and went direct into the Army Security Agency under the NSA specializing in space technologies and electronic countermeasures (against the former Soviet Union) all carries no weight with those that think you need to be brain washed by some Professor who is no more than passing on the stuffy information he/she had read about or had been handed down. The real teachers are in the field where the work is being done.
Binge drinking and nightly sex escapades are what most of the folks are paying for...oh and cramming useless information into rubberized skulls. Not going to be a Doctor? Not going to be a Lawyer? Take the money and tour Europe...sign on to a dig in Egypt or the Canadian Plains of Alberta...buy books.

I don't wish to offend those who tout College and University attendence, it's great for many I guess but just to let those who can't go or don't want to go or HATE school as I did that it doesn't mean a life of flipping burgers...it does mean the occasional glance down an upturned nose...but then, so what. Smile

Your milage will most likely differ...
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Antioch College, California Institute of Asian Studies, and Indiana University, post-graduate work.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Didn't the Asians get nervous with you studying them?
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Not after I accidently broke chopsticks at tea ceremony. And it was the lunches and dinners I had with Bishop Nippo Syaku and his wife who helped formulate me within the formal education. Thank you for asking.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
LobowolfXXX
View Profile
Inner circle
La Famiglia
1199 Posts

Profile of LobowolfXXX
Cal State U @ Fullerton (English undergrad)
UCLA School of Law.

Not to mention National Bartenders School
"Torture doesn't work" lol
Guess they forgot to tell Bill Buckley.

"...as we reason and love, we are able to hope. And hope enables us to resist those things that would enslave us."
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
Not to mention National Bartenders School
[/quote]

I so want to go there. That place sounds so cool,

Diane
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I love law, I really do, I think it is logical as heck and I like that. But dang, lawyers are like those lil' white pellets in bean bag chairs. Just dump one out in your garage and years later they will still come rolling out of no where when you least want 'em. There are so many lawyers, I mean huge numbers, and they have to find things for them to do and it is like a those dang pellets. Either way UCLA is an excellent school.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I did do Bartenders School a few years ago. It was kind of fun...but it was hands on with glasses of PAINT subbing for Milk or cream. No real booze and it smelled horrible so it really didn't give an accurate impression of what a drink should look like or smell like. (Didn't taste 'em) Graduated with honors even though I didn't feel I knoew what the hell I was doing. haha...but never went for a job. I had to have a couple of hundred drinks memorized and on call at a moments notice but thoday I cant remember a single one of them. 'Paint on the Beach' anyone?
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Freak Prodigy
View Profile
Inner circle
NYC & LA
1805 Posts

Profile of Freak Prodigy
Doug, just imagine...

"Higley's House of Turpintine"

It will the the new celeb hangout in Cali.

Brett.
Blog:
http://www.bloudermilk.blogspot.com
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I can picture all the guys out there with their degrees in theater, or working on one, just vibrating in anger wanting to respond here but just don't have the time as they prepare to head out to their gigs as a McDonalds manager. I have a nephew at San Francisco State right now and planning on a degree in film (which they don't have at SF State but his mommy thinks they have some close enough). His poor father is still hoping he'll change his mind after getting general ed out of the way.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
A couple of weeks ago I was at my usual drinking my usual with a buddy of mine, and in walked 40 kids--obviously a group of students here for what's known as "O-phase" (Orientation phase). Generally, the kids spend a couple of weeks with other kids studying the same thing, getting to know things like where the library is and such, as well as sampling the local bars.

So anyway, I'm curious, and I ask one of them, "So what'y'all studying?" He said, "Economy Engineer". My buddy and I had a few more trying to figure out what that means. But it probably has more future in it than a degree in theater.

"Economy Engineer"? Sounds vaguely Stalinist, doesn't it?

Jeff
balducci
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
230 Posts

Profile of balducci
Myself, I went to U of Western Ontario in London, Ontario, then to U of Toronto.

Quote:
On 2007-10-06 05:24, stoneunhinged wrote:

So anyway, I'm curious, and I ask one of them, "So what'y'all studying?" He said, "Economy Engineer". My buddy and I had a few more trying to figure out what that means. But it probably has more future in it than a degree in theater.

"Economy Engineer"? Sounds vaguely Stalinist, doesn't it?

Economy engineering = engineering economy. Funny sounding name, either way.

http://mysite.du.edu/~jcalvert/econ/enecon.htm

"Engineering economy, the analysis of the economic consequences of engineering decisions, was originated by A. M. Wellington in his The Economic Theory of Railway Location, published in 1887. Engineering economy is now considered a part of the education of every engineer."

http://www.htwm.de/stu-engl/ww/economy.htm
Make America Great Again! - Trump in 2020 ... "We're a capitalistic society. I go into business, I don't make it, I go bankrupt. They're not going to bail me out. I've been on welfare and food stamps. Did anyone help me? No." - Craig T. Nelson, actor.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11047 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
If colleges are graduating thousands of Marine biology majors every year where do they all go to work? I think the answer is the assistant night manager of McDonalds.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yup. I know one marine biologist and he owns the cleanest and best run fish stores (you know, sells aquariums and tropical fish etc) I've ever seen. Think about it, astronomers jobs are few. What it comes down to is a lot of companies don't care what the degree is in when hiring for business jobs (non engineering), which kind of tells you what they think of the disciplines. Liberal Arts is popular among companies because they actually learned less than others and need less deprograming.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What College/University did/have you attended? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.33 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL