The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What College/University did/have you attended? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Does it ever cross anyones mind to just reply in the affirmative when asked if they have a degree? No one ever asked me to see a HS Diploma...just did you graduate...Yes.

End of story.

There is a really interesting article on Wilkipedia about Pragmatism and the asscociated Philosophies. I bet dollars to donuts you could get any job that requires a degree (in something not specified) by reading that, becomming familiar enough for any random questions and just reply Yes, Philosophy Major on the job ap.

No one will ask to see it...no one really gives a crap! It's just a knee jerk question for most companies.

Take your 45 grand and head for Tahiti and study French Colonialism first hand. I'll go with you and mentor. Smile

We all seem to forget how successful we were in grammer school Lit. because of Classic Comics...the principle is sound.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
Chessmann
View Profile
Inner circle
4164 Posts

Profile of Chessmann
TCU

Go, Horned Frogs!
My ex-cat was named "Muffin". "Vomit" would be a better name for her. AKA "The Evil Ball of Fur".
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Once upon a time, I was a professional bartender - we didn't go to school to learn how to mix, pour and slam - we just learned the club recipes and rolled with it.
POOF!
Bill
View Profile
Veteran user
and Pretty Nice Guy
385 Posts

Profile of Bill
I attended the Father Sarduchi College.

He teaches evera ting youa gonna rememba five years afta you grad-e-ate froma real col-aga. Ita take bout five minnas, and one an a hav minnas isa for registration and graduation. Costa $20 dollas
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Oh! Oh! Oh!

I remember him, and I remember his curriculum.

Economics.

"Supply ana demanda."

Great, great stuff. Thanks for the memory, Bill.

Jeff
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I cheer for Blugold and Bulldog!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
And, thanks to Bill reminding us of Father Guido Sarducci, here's a clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO8x8eoU3L4

Jeff
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27226 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Smile

Anyone find a clip of him wearing the mouse ears?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Doug, believe it or not I had an interview at Amazon.com and they asked for proof of highschool graduation. They said everyone has to show it. I had not seen my diploma in over 25 years when I put it away somewhere. I had to have proof sent to me from the school.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7173 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Wow...after literally hundreds (maybe thousands) of job aps, I never got asked.

Mine is a bizarre story (naturally)...because I only had 45% attendence the Principle set a rule that the only way I could get my diploma was to be employed for 2 years without missing a day. So I joined the Army. haha. ( Impossible to miss a day...even when you miss a day) They sent it when requested.

At Graduation I just got a blank piece of paper and that's when I also found out about the 'deal' to get the real one. What a Shmuck. My dad was peed off (as usual) but I had decided I wouldn't be seeing him again anyway so it was a GREAT trade off.
Higley's Giant Flea Pocket Zibit
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yeah, I couldn't believe it, I had never been asked before for any reason. I had to request the school send a letter with my transcripts etc.. Amazon will not even talk to you with out the proof.
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
I attended the School of Hard Knocks.

I still haven't been able to gradumate!
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
College is for suckers.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
padre rich
View Profile
Special user
603 Posts

Profile of padre rich
Cal State University Dominguez Hills
Fuller Theological Seminary
St Michael Seminary
L.A.I.S.P.S.(a Pyscho Analytical Institute in Los Angeles)
God's grace rocks! It makes a good cups and balls routine look pretty boring in comparison.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Pyscho Analytical Institutes in Los Angeles is for suckers.

I prefer ignorance.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I think I have to agree that anything called the Pyscho Analytical Institues in Los Angeles is for suckers. Right up there with the John F Kennedy University which features a degree in ghost hunting.
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
Whoa there, Santa! Don't knock a ghost hunting degree! I'd get one if I were 25 years younger and not sure what to do with my life.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Perhaps one can complete a Parapsychology with ESP learning Smile Anyone seen 1408 the latest by Steven King?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
I graduated from North Central State College with an associate’s degree in computer programming.

My high school GPA was 3.98. My college GPA was 3.95.

Quite honestly I have to say that Doug Higley has some very valid points. All that education has done little to nothing to help me in the real world. I'm not trying to discourage the Café's younger members from studying hard (by all means do!), just try to keep everything in perspective.

At my day job right now I'm a project manager. I know people with master’s degrees who are making less than I do. I know high school dropouts who are making a lot more. In the business world it's all about the social network. Like it or not, it really is *who you know*. What you know is totally non-important... Google does a great job at filling in knowledge gaps.

Honestly... A quick internet search and a trip to my Barnes and Noble have proven more useful than a lot of my classes.

Truly... Don't let your schooling interfere with your education.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Kids, college does have value if you get the opportunity to go do so. It will typically increase your value in the workplace in general, kinda, but it will delay you having to enter the rat race for a few years and that is always good.
Do know that if you get degrees in any of the goofy fields (theater, drama, stuff like that) we reserve the right to laught at you forever. So go to school, keep a level head, and have fun. If you go and don't have fun then you just wasted your time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » What College/University did/have you attended? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL