The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » ALEXANDRE Challenges Randi ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Oh no... Smile
princehal
View Profile
Loyal user
Pennsylvania
214 Posts

Profile of princehal
>skepticism believes that true knowledge and certainty don't exist

I think that is the opposite of what skeptics believe.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

No, it is the opposite of what many calling themselves believe and proactive.
True skepticism (by the true meaning of the word) does require an open mind. To be honest, I've yet to find one that is truly open. (A person wanting verification or proof, but not dismissive, not a person with a pre-existing disbelief and an unchangeable pre-existing counter belief.)

Just my opinion though. Smile
jorsha
View Profile
New user
New Jersey/ Texas
61 Posts

Profile of jorsha
I completely believe that humans have more capabilities than anyone can imagine and society is holding everyone back. but to claim one has psycho kinetic powers in a magic forum is a little fishy. but if you do, all the power to you.

-jeff
Fool me once, shame on you.
Fool me twice, shame on me.
Fool me thrice, you're a darn good magician!
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Isso Liwok tells his students if they knew who and what human beings really are, they wouldn't believe it.
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Tone
View Profile
Elite user
423 Posts

Profile of Tone
CSICON will give one million dollars to anyone who can show them something "normal".
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 13:52, princehal wrote:
>skepticism believes that true knowledge and certainty don't exist

I think that is the opposite of what skeptics believe.

Go look up skepticism in a philosophical dictionary.

Quote:
On 2007-10-06 10:52, lumberjohn wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 02:36, photius wrote:
It is all about Randi. He never intends to part with that cash, and will always find some sort of criteria to disqualify an applicant. . . . He is going to create conditions under which it cannot be done.

Photius,

You weren't saying that it is merely possible for the JREF to create impossible conditions. You were saying that they actually do it when the million dollars is threatened. I have yet to see any support for that claim.

You've also made some new points I would like to address. Your problems with the challenge appear to stem from several things. In fact, while you say you aren't saying the challenge is unfair, you go on to describe why you think it is unfair and "a waste of time."

First, you do not believe it is valid because while effects can be measured, the underlying causative mechanisms may not be subject to such measurement. It is interesting that you mention the scientific method, because that very method is used to make these determinations all the time. We can control for known causative variables and statistically determine whether an unknown variable is at play. If an applicant can demonstrate that such a variable is at play, they will win the million dollars. They need not show its exact mechanism. In short, they must only demonstrate a statistically significant result that cannot be explained by any known cause. Your argument that actual psychic forces must be observed before the challenge can be won is simply a strawman. Our current methodology is quite sufficient to detect paranormal forces by simply controlling for known forces.

Another strawman you present is the suggestion that the challenge rules will not allow applicants "wave their hands, point their hands and arms, make fists, grimace, etc." Where do you get this information? The rules set no such restrictions. As long as it is clear the applicant is not using any sort of gimmicks such as magnets or thread, I can't imagine any such restrictions being imposed.

You say you "do not believe there is anything that Alexandre can do to convince JERF or Randi that the pen falling off the glass is being done by any supernatural ability or force." I disagree. If Alexandre were in fact serious (he is not), he could agree to protocols that control for known forces and cause the pen to fall in such a way that would be statistically improbable to a material degree by any known causative force. That would do it. Show me a situation where this occurred and the million dollars was withheld.

Finally, I want to address what you call the real "point of your post," "the idea that you can't prove anything to a skeptic, since philosophically skepticism believes that true knowledge and certainty don't exist. As such nothing can be proven." Modern skepticism (as opposed to classical philosophical skepticism, which we could discuss further, but it is not relevant to this discussion) does not promote any such belief. You go on to state that I am confusing skepticism with the scientific method, which, you claims, are "two unrelated things."

In fact, they are not unrelated at all. Modern skepticism is intimately related with the scientific method. In fact, I've heard it described by critics as the philosophy that exalts the scientific method above all else. While I wouldn't agree with this statement as written, it is not far off.

Specifically, when you discuss the JREF, this is exactly the kind of "skepticism" it employs. In that context, you can use the term "skeptic" synonymously with anyone requiring evidence and application of the scientific method to truth claims. Do a quick search on "skeptic" organizations, or listen to "skeptic" podcasts and you will find this to be true. You may want to update your definition to the twenty-first century.

So basically, what the JREF does is to apply the scientific method to paranormal claims. If the claims survive the controlled testing, the applicant walks away with the million dollars. If you have evidence that the JREF is doing something other than this, I'd sure love to see it.

I enjoy reading your opinion, but understand I am not attacking JERF, Randi, or even Alexandre. Your arguments cross over into belief systems, philosophically speaking. You have a belief system of science that I do not share. Our arguing our belief systems is neither applicable to topic nor to the forum. We hold different beliefs about what science is and is not and how finite its mechanisms are. Science is not at all finite to me, and I'm saying that as someone with more than a casual knowledge of science. I know many top scientists who also don't believe it is so finite. I know others who think it is the answer to everything. That is difference in belief systems.
And what I have stated is my opinion, not a challenge to someone's beliefs. My opinion is that JERF and Randi by their challenge is not going to prove or disprove any form of supernatural phenomenon, and anyone taking the challenge is neither going to be able to prove or disprove such things. Science deals with the natural, the observable, quantifiable and repeatable. Supernatural by its very definition is beyond the realm of science and the natural, and does not meet the three criteria for scientific methodology.
There are those, I suppose , who call themselves skeptics who believe in some true knowledge or in certainty. But if you look up the definition of skepticism in any philosophical dictionary you will find that "Skepticism" involves a belief in neither certainty nor true knowledge as part of its fundamental principles.
Arguing whether the semantics your definition skepticism or that one is correct is going to get us nowhere and is off topic.
As I said I enjoyed reading your opinion and gave mine I attacked no one. Nuff said.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
JohnEBlaze
View Profile
New user
Maitland, FL
66 Posts

Profile of JohnEBlaze
Alex, if you are in South Florida, why don't you just go see Randi? Isn't he based in Miami?

By the way, he's currently busy fighting with the tech crowd about stereo speakers...

gizmodo.com
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

I do have to agree with Randi on that one. Although I'm not in my 90s like him, I do have significant hearing loss, so it all sounds the same to me too.
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Randi is actually in Fort Lauderdale and I have visited him in the past as mentioned above, but gas prices the way they are right now (not to speak of my busy schedule) I rather send in a tape.

It's all there, no arguing my abilities, besides, on tape he can watch it hundreds of times (I heard he's watched it a few already) whereas live he would only see it once maybe twice. I'm short on patience when it comes to tests.
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18028 Posts

Profile of Slim King
You could do it again for him when he drops off the cash Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
bdekolta
View Profile
Inner circle
Texas
1636 Posts

Profile of bdekolta
Quote:
I suspect that he's not very interested in every performer who wishes to use the challenge as a publicity stunt.

The challenge is a publicity stunt...
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21263 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 18:39, ALEXANDRE wrote:
Randi is actually in Fort Lauderdale and I have visited him in the past as mentioned above, but gas prices the way they are right now (not to speak of my busy schedule) I rather send in a tape.

It's all there, no arguing my abilities, besides, on tape he can watch it hundreds of times (I heard he's watched it a few already) whereas live he would only see it once maybe twice. I'm short on patience when it comes to tests.

Alex, if this was the first performer who challenged the old man just to promote himself or something he has comming out I believe he may be a bit more accepting of the idea. But as J ack/Jim has been a mosquito on the elephants but for years, this must get to the point where HE has little patience for these things.

I think it is great you want the publicity, wonderfull. BUT as HE is the one with the money, I believe that a bit of "patience" when it comes to the test may be in order LOL.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Good grief, people, lighten up.
What would Wavy do?
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Quote:
I enjoy reading your opinion, but understand I am not attacking JERF, Randi, or even Alexandre.. . . I attacked no one. Nuff said.

Well, we have a different definition of attack. You clearly accused Randi and the JREF of setting up a challenge under false pretenses for the sole purpose of publicity which they never intended to honor. That would be fraud under any state or federal law. But apparently, you don't consider accusing someone of criminal activity as an attack. Interesting.

But at least your new tone and willingness to backtrack on your accusations indicates your acknowledgement of your ignorance on this issue. That is encouraging.

You continue to insist on a long outdated definition of skeptic. As I've previously indicated, you are relying on a definition that applies to a philosophical movement in ancient Greece that was know as "skepticism." Today's skeptic movement, as it has come to be known, is not in any way related to that philosophy. But this has no relevance anyway unless Randi and the JREF subscribed to the belief system you define as skepticism. And they do not.

As for your view on science and its limitations, it is amazing to me that you can take such a position. Science does measure and analyze anything that has effects in the real world. If a suspended pen falls, science is the appropriate avenue for determining why it fell. Once a professed psychic claims that he can cause objects to move or can divine information unseen or known to him, science is more than adequate to determine whether such claims are true. And it has done so on many, many occasions.

You admit that "Science deals with the natural, the observable, quantifiable and repeatable." I would agree with that statement, except that I would replace "and" with "or," for science deals with all of these things. The video that is the subject of this thread shows an occurrence that is observable, quantifyable, and (obviously) repeatable. Therefore, by your own definition, science is the appropriate means to evaluate it. Perhaps you should think through your own internally inconsistent belief system regarding the limitations of science before repeating them in an open forum.

You may feel that I am being overly harsh, but when you begin by viscerally attacking a respected magician on a magic forum, and then attempt to back up your position with such flimsy and easily refuted arguments, you are begging for a strong rebuttal.
coupcoupdaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
2466 Posts

Profile of coupcoupdaddy
Debunk rebut is so is not
foreign correspondent, z and lt

inner being worker
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

A sense of humor is the ability to experience humor
ALEXANDRE
View Profile
Inner circle
3024 Posts

Profile of ALEXANDRE
Looks like I'm now being officially considered as a "claimant".

We'll see what happens, meanwhile the video is there for the world to see.

While you all argue, I have nothing to hide, my abilities speak for themselves.

If you have the time, take a look at this being currently considered by Ripley's Believe it or Not!

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......14&0
lumberjohn
View Profile
Special user
Memphis, TN
626 Posts

Profile of lumberjohn
Look, guys. Alexandre started a clever and humorous post. Funny? Yes. I myself was amused. But in the process, Photius posted some very specific and serious accusations about James Randi and the JREF that were completely unnecessary and unfounded. I'm sure if someone on this board calls one of you a fraud and a cheat and states that you are out to further your own career by deceiving others, you will take it in the light-hearted manner you suggest. I simply felt that a serious accusation merited a serious response.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13151 Posts

Quote:
I'm sure if someone on this board calls one of you a fraud and a cheat and states that you are out to further your own career by deceiving others, you will take it in the light-hearted manner you suggest.

That is a daily event here with some people.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » ALEXANDRE Challenges Randi ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7~8 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL