The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The CELLULATOR (Wolfs magic Wiz kote style effect) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..10~11~12 [Next]
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Markus,
Apparently the older model Collectors Workshop model would not work but I have been told the newer version can.
Remember, this is just an idea we are throwing out to help out but I am sure there will be handling issues. I am looking into other options as well and will post as soon as I can determine their validity.
A customer has suggested the Impossible Bill to Can by Paul Romhany. Does anybody know if this method will load a cell phone?

Ace,
Good question. Please note that this was specifically designed for small electronic devices not shoes and such. It will not withstand the compression of a shoe as well due to the magnetic catch on the lid. This was designed for a specific reason as well for a quick one handed dump of the cell phone.
The load chamber is 1" thick x 3 1/2" x 6"
As with the original Wiz Kote, you do have limitations but not bad at all. A simple pre-screening of the phones held up in the air (this is worked into the routine) and you will have a wide variety of phones that will easily fit. My phone is an older model and it fits no problem.

George,
Yes, a Wallet would work great! Good thinking about the ATM bit Smile

I hope this helps,
Chance
Creator of Wacky Wolf Productions & Fine Collectibles

A DECADE of building Magic and we're just getting started!

http://www.wolfsmagic.com
magic-markus
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of magic-markus
Yes I think it would work with Paul Romanys method. I have the trick. I just have a look at it and let you know as soon as possible. I think on doing this cellulator with a watch.
magic-markus
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of magic-markus
It's not possible with his routine. I looked on the DVD. He also told about the Can O'Can from Collectors, but as far as I know the secret of this effect it's nearly impossible to get the phone inside the can. I think you would have angle problems to get it in, if you know what I mean.
I just work on an ending for the effect right now. I will let you know soon.
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hey Folks,
Could anybody who OWNS Can O' Corn please chime in and let us know if you can load a cell phone into the gimmick one way or another.
I have been told by a reliable source that it IS possible but let's verify this before we go any further.
Please remember, The Can String Phone ending is an UNTESTED IDEA. It was suggested to me last night and I thought I would share the possibility with you guys.
I am selling the CELLULATOR as in independent trick just as the original Wiz Kote and the retrieval is up to you. I am simply trying to help and find an economical solution for the ending. I am sure many of you have an ending in mind already.
Thanks for the help guys!
Chance

Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Looks like we have some possible good news.
A fellow Café member posted the following:
"Out of curiousity I just put my cell phone in the can-it gimmick it worked fine. I have a flip phone that's still pretty tall,(approx 4 inches) so I would imagine that it would depend on the phone, but it worked, even with a little bit of room still left so if you wanted to load a cell phone even with corn inside."

I hope we can get more testing done from others on both the "Can O' Corn" gimmick as well as "Can-It". It seems, at this time, that the "Can-It" gimmick is the contender so far and NOT the "Can O Corn" as I suggested in my emails to my customers.
If all goes well then I think we can safely assume it will work for the routine!
Thanks
Chance

magic-markus
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of magic-markus
Great news that it fits inside the gimmick. Now it must be only avaible.
magicmanfrank
View Profile
Inner circle
1127 Posts

Profile of magicmanfrank
Hey Chance!

I just thought of a simple solution to make sure that the borrowed cell phone does NOT ring during the act......

TURN THE PHONE OFF WHEN YOU BORROW IT!

That way not even someone with their cell phone # can NOT make it ring during the routine.

=Frank=
The Early Bird may get the Worm, but it's the SECOND Mouse that gets the CHEESE!!!

Frank Thurston

www.FrankThurstonMagic.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Magic-of-Frank-Thurston/116625117910?ref=nf
magic-markus
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of magic-markus
Yes but when you turn the cellphone of you can not let it ring inside the can Smile
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Markus,
The handling of the ringing is covered in the routine instructions. It is all covered very well and not too difficult at all. I am sorry but I do not want to give away every working aspect of this routine/prop in a public forum. I will be glad to email customers who are on the interested list and let them know specific solutions.
I hope you understand as some of the ideas are part of the investment/secret.
Thanks!
Chance

magic-markus
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of magic-markus
Yes I total understand that. I'm also on the intrested list for you product and defenitly want one.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
He he, I came up with the "Can O corn" idea, exactly the same. And here's how you prevent the phone ringing too early:
Once you've put the phone in the Cellulator, you ask the spectator for his phone number, and you ring it. The cellphone starts to ring inside the Cellulator. You now reach into the unit, where you have a slim memo recorder. I haven't checked them out yet, but I'm sure I've seen one like a credit card that would be perfect. You immediately start it recording - and let it record the next two rings. Next, you ANSWER the phone call on the spectator's cellphone, and simultaneously start the memo recorder playback. After two more rings, you start the pre-recorded sequence of strangled ringtones, p**m out the phone, and immediately draw your hand sharply out of the box and slam the lid shut.
The cellphone is now ENGAGED, connected to your own phone. It can't ring, but when you want it to ring, simply end the call on your phone, and press redial. Nearly all modern cellphones will revert to "on" if a call is cancelled by the caller, so this should work with most cellphones. It would be important to test this out with as many phones as possible, just to be sure it always works.
What a great routine this is going to be. I predict Chance will be SOLD OUT of this before he finishes production!
BTW, I tried to get "Can O Corn" earlier this year, it's a tough item to find. I do have "Can O Chips" though, which loads pretty much exactly the same, and there's no problem at all getting the phone inside. The main problem is likely to be the phone talking as it goes in; so in some ways I prefer the wet version, where the phone must be in a ziplok bag (tricky). This way, you could load it silently, but must first get that phone into the bag. Also, spec might not appreciate his phone being stuck in a mess of beans, even if it is in a sealed bag. So really, the dry version is the only sensible course to take unless you like to work a lot harder than you need.
There is also a small issue of the string between the cans. As the overall plot is now to produce a phone from a sealed can, there is a problem if the can has been drilled with a small hole, and a string pushed through. HOW? Rather tell the audience this is a DIY PHONE KIT, and take out two vegetable tins and a length of string. Use magician's choice to have the OTHER can selected, opened, emptied, and you start to try to make a hole in the bottom of the can. That's when the phone rings inside the other can. Should be easily done, you need to reach for something to make the hole, that's when you end the call on your phone and start the next call....
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3728 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Um...Potty...hate to tell ya, but I think the first run was already sold out.

Steve
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
Hi Potty,
Great thinking as usual! Payne has actually come up with a much easier, NON GIMMICK, way of making their phone ring. I cannot give it away as it is part of our routine etc. but it is great!
The string on the cans is NO PROBLEM...small rare earth magnets glued at the end of each string. Remember this is comedy and I really don't think ANYONE will analyze the string attachment method.
Keep ANY and ALL ideas coming.

Remember my own personal philosophy...
"There is never a BAD idea...just a bunch of UNUSED ones!"

I am sure the Café members will pick and choose ideas that fir their taste as they are posted.
By the way, the FIRST RUN of 50 UNITS SOLD OUT within 2 days!!!
We increased the run in midstream and will try our best to fill all orders between the dates of Oct 22 thru Nov 5

Thanks so much for the FANTASTIC support guys and gals!
Chance Wolf
Wolf's Magic

Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
I certaintly want one. I'm still brainstornming about the routine, and I still have some uncertainties. Of course having the Cellulator in my hands would probably help the creative process. I usually try to have a routine mostly bulletproof (at least in my mind) before I purchase magic equipment anymore. I was thinking about this (and other things) last night, and it was difficult to clear my mind. So much so that I couldn't even sleep!

Regan
Mister Mystery
Acecardician
View Profile
Inner circle
New Orleans
1390 Posts

Profile of Acecardician
To tie the string to the can, don't punch a hole in it. Tape it on or use a magnet in the end of a string to stick to the can. If a magnet will not stick to the can, use tape.

ACE
Bairefoot
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Bairefoot
50 units two days! You are the man!

Bairefoot
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4632 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I personally am not enamoured with the idea of taping the string to the can or using a magnet. The purist in me knows that the "Can phone" only works when you make a hole and pass the string through it. This is what causes the resonance, and I think a lot of schoolkids must know that. A strong magnet could actually work, but not nearly as efficiently. My idea would be to take out the two cans and the string.....and everyone will immediately know what's in your mind! Of course, both methods would be fine, I just like the idea that the can is perceived to be untampered with.
I also came up with a method whereby your own phone could appear in a sealed bag in the full can of beans; or just have it appear inside another empty can, or there's "Can-It", which is readily available, but apparently not as well made. With this handling, you can tell the spec you will call him on his new "Can phone", only to have the phone start ringing inside his can. YOu BOTH open your cans, remove your respective phones, and spec confirms that your phone is connected to his.
The possibilities for this unit are endless! My main concern now is the handling of the "tricky" bit - the p*****g out of the phone and l*****g of the can. That will depend on Chance's design, but it's not a big worry. Most phones are now smaller than a playing card.
Another way to play this would be as an "audio enhanced" routine, with instructions on a CD, or even written instructions which another spectator could read out.
magic-markus
View Profile
Loyal user
212 Posts

Profile of magic-markus
Yes Potty the Pirate, I like your ideo of a "Do it yourself Can phone". But I think when you use the Can It gimmick its not possible to pull so hard on the can phone Smile
I like the idea to give the spectator some present or so before the trick. He can hear something inside and after distroying his phone he finds it in that present.
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5726 Posts

Profile of Regan
Kerry Kistler had a great audio enchanced routine for the Dyna Kote (Wize Kote). Someone should get with Kerry and make a professional CD. There could be versions for the shoe, and now thanks to Chance, cell phones, iPods, wallets, etc, etc.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Chance Wolf
View Profile
Inner circle
2425 Posts

Profile of Chance Wolf
It is rare that an idea comes along that is incredibly magical as well as a plot that is so perfectly matched to an existing routine.
No effect or method is perfect and requires some audience/spectator control as well as prop control.
In the case of the String Cans concept, I believe the magnetic or taped string is easily handled by simply keeping slack in the string. No big deal as it would be very easy to maintain the slack. I think there is no need to prove the cans work. Just get the visual gag across and follow the handling as described in the routine and it will go very well.
Once again, I am sorry I cannot post every detail of the handling but this is all covered in the Instructions. Remember, folks are buying the handling, routine and performance tips as well as the prop.
If you work with an assistant, then the unload and load is clearly easy as you just pass off the prop and lid to your assistant and all the dirty work is done offstage,
If you are working alone,you will need some type of Suitcase Table to cover the dirty work which is done in phases. The dumping of the phone has been modified to a ONE HANDED dump. I cover the handling in the instructions as well.
I hope this helps,
Thanks
Chance

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » The CELLULATOR (Wolfs magic Wiz kote style effect) (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5..10~11~12 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL