The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Transformations (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
This is the new book by Lawrence Hass that's been advertised in both Magic and Genii this month. I've heard a lot of good things about Professor Hass's Theory and Art of Magic program, and the book has several nice endorsments.

Anyone know anymore details? Have any of these routines seen print before? Anyone ever gone to the college and taken the classes?
littlethumbtip
View Profile
Regular user
San Antonio, Texas
187 Posts

Profile of littlethumbtip
Myoungbauer,

I'm also interested in Mr. Hass' views on performing magic.

Hocus Pocus Magic has already started to list the book on it's website, and so I assume that the release date is drawing nearer.

Looking forwards to further info from the guys here on Magic Café!

Gene
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
I have it. I have enjoyed it so far. I think I have a kindred thought pattern with Dr. Hass. I enjoy his thinking about making trick your own and find a voice. A review is in Genii by Jamie Ian Swiss.
Frank
myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
Sounds very interesting. Did you buy it directly from Dr. Hass? I wasn't aware it had shipped yet.

I haven't seen Genii yet this month, but I'm looking forward to reading that review. Any favorite effects or essays? Isn't there a unpublished Eugene Burger trick included?

thanks for the info

Matthew
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'm reading this at the moment, review to follow. I will tell you immediate impression. It is one of the best books on performing magic I've seen and should be read along with Stronger Magic and Maximum Entertainment. It is well written, dead on, and the pieces, I've only gone through a couple of them and read a third, are very well scripted and flow nicely. I am also overjoyed that the writer uses the term 'pieces' for finished works because that is a term I use but change because I didn't think people would accept it....I'm not changing it any further.
myoungbauer
View Profile
New user
Minneapolis, Minnesota
92 Posts

Profile of myoungbauer
That is high praise, now I really can't wait to get a copy. Has the book been released yet? I'm looking forward to everyones review.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh yes it is released, I don't know the people behind it so that is how I got it, from the ol' shoppy.
MagicOfT
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
141 Posts

Profile of MagicOfT
Lawrence Hauss's lecture is great. I went to tannens magic camp and he talked, everyone got a lot out of it and I learned so much great info. Im getting this.
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
Anyone who wants to call themselves a magician should own this book!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
You know...I agree with Ian. Any one who gets this book needs to read the non trick sections because the essays are very good and contain a lot of truth. Unfortunately those that would benefit most from reading it likely will not.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Title: Transformations: Creating Magic out of Tricks
Medium: Book, hardcover
Arena: The performance of magic, close up
Available: Any shop, Distributed by Murphys Magic Supplies

Tranformations is written by Lawrence Hass, Ph.D. out of Pennsylvania where he is an university professor. Dr. Hass is, clearly, a well educated man and based on his discipline, philosophy, a man who tends to think deeply about subjects. His circle of friends includes other deep magical thinkers such as Eugene Burger and Bob Neale, and others. Considering his education and standing it would be very easy for Dr. Hass to have trouble communicating with those of use who are not at the same level as he is, meaning a Ph.D., but he shows his ability to communicate clearly and comfortably. This is, to me, a real indication that he is a man who doesn’t hold himself above others as some in his shoes might tend toward. He also cares about the history of the effects he presents and his crediting is as thorough as you will find. I’m sure when Max Maven read this book he took note of this, I did too….great minds you know.

The book is made up of published, and at least one unpublished, essays written by Dr. Hass and routines with his presentation. The essays are concerning the presentation of magic, how one can take a trick and elevate it to being a magical presentation. This may be obvious to some but to many, too many, this simple bridge in thinking is either missed or ignored. The essays need to be read and read again and then thought about. This is the beauty of books, you can take pause and give proper consideration to the written word that you cannot do with video. If I was going to classify this book I’d say it should take a rightful place on the shelf with Stronger Magic and Maximum Entertainment. I enjoyed the essays a great deal, the only one that dragged a bit was the one that wasn’t published, Dr. Hass has a very clear view of the performance of magic.

Mixed in with these wonderful essays you will find eleven routines. These are not original with Dr. Hass but he has taken standards and some lesser known material and added and removed components to suit him. I really like his presentations and I think many will use them either as presented or perhaps add some minor changes and do these routines. The way they are presented in the book is a description on how the routine came to be part of his repertoire and the changes and additions he made. Next we get to look at the script without the detail on how to perform the routines. After this we get to learn how the routine is performed, Dr. Hass does a fine job in explaining the routines. The pieces are, and thank you sir for using that term because I tend to use it and consciously change it to ‘presentation’ because I didn’t think piece would be accepted, very good and for the most part card magic. None are particularly difficult and actually I hope those smart enough to get this book are already familiar with them because then you will be able to see how a thought out presentation really improves the presentation and makes a trick into magic.

I really liked this book and all the routines. If you do get this book don’t do it only for the magic pieces do it also to open your mind to Dr. Hass’ ideas and perhaps you will begin to look at your own magic differently. This book, like a couple others out there, could very well turn on a light in someone that will lead them into higher levels in the art of magic. From a performance aspect and art aspect this book is the best of that creed I’ve seen in the last couple years. This is so much more than a ‘trick book’ but it also contains some great scripting and very thoughtful changes in the material. Very good job Dr. Hass, I look forward to seeing what else you have in the pipe line.
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
264 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Beside the essay about presentation of magic this book have a tricks routine also?
exactly how many routines?
Ian Richards
View Profile
Loyal user
226 Posts

Profile of Ian Richards
The first sentence of the third paragraph in the above review states:

"Mixed in with these wonderful essays you will find eleven routines."
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Yup, eleven routines. It would have been cool without the routines but they were put in to add value and also to give examples of how standards can be presented in a magical way. The routines are all close up very good.
amakar
View Profile
Loyal user
235 Posts

Profile of amakar
I enjoyed reading the book as well. It suprises me more magicians don't think this way. In theater, radio, or TV they all have writers who produce scripts. These scripts are turned into performance pieces.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of evidence in the magic market today that provides scripted presentations. Instead you're simply sold a method and told to be original for a $20-$30 one trick DVD shot in someone's basement against a black background. The only other series I've found that offers a true performance script is the Ron Bauer Private Studies series.

The key point I got out of this book was the importance of developing a script and analyzing the performance. It is a refereshing change from the snorefest trend of street magic products that lack any entertaining premise.
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
I just order this Richard Hatch at his http://www.magicbookshop.com

I'll know this will also be a Good Read....
will post a review after digest this

The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Transformations (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL