The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Lavalier Question (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
Howdy!

Does anyone have experience using a lavalier microphone? I had a cheapo radio shack one once that I quickly disposed of. I haven't used one since. I actually clipped it to my lapel, but it would barely pick anything up!

I've noticed though that a lot of people in theather use Lavaliers taped up behind their ears... This is a great idea, as the microphone wouldn't have as many movement problems since it's taped down...

Does anyone use this for their shows? How does this work out for you?
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I use a lav mike and am satisfied with it.

The benefit, in my opinion, is that it clips to your clothing and is fairly inconspicuous. Headset and earset mikes are definitely more sensitive and will pick up better because they are closer to your mouth, but at least in my humble opinion, they are ugly, intrusive and detract from your appearance.

The closer the lav mike is to your mouth or throat, the better it will perform. Clipping it to your lapel is pretty useless. I work with it clipped to my shirt collar and have been happy with the results. In that location, it doesn't get in my way, does its job, and doesn't make me look like a rock musician or a TV preacher. SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24107 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I use to perform with a lavalier. I gave it up. Of course it must go on one side. When I turn my head the opposite direction, it rarely picks up my voice.

Seth, I was saying the same thing about a headset a few years ago. I did not like how they looked. After seeing it was a common thing, I gave it a try. I am very pleased it using it. I never got a negative complaint about it.

Don't forget the 3 V's: Vocal, Visual, and Verbal. Always remember the Vocal is more important than the Visual.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Quote:
On 2007-10-07 17:32, sethb wrote:
and doesn't make me look like a rock musician or a TV preacher. SETH

Rock Musicians and TV preachers both make their living getting their message across to their audiences and they choose a headset mic....hmmmmmmmm. Kind of tells you which works best doesn't it? LOL

There is no debate about it. If you have used both you will stick with the headset mic. You can get the flesh colored small versions now so the look is nothing to be concerned about.

Best,

Tim
sethb
View Profile
Inner circle
The Jersey Shore
2700 Posts

Profile of sethb
I agree that a earset or headset will perform better, no question about that. I'm simply saying that I'm more comfortable with the look of a lav, and even with its technical deficiencies, it performs well enough for me.

As for looks, beauty (or ugliness) is in the eye of the beholder! SETH
"Watch the Professor!!" -- Al Flosso (1895-1976)
"The better you are, the closer they watch" -- Darwin Ortiz, STRONG MAGIC
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Hello Seth,

I'm glad that mic because justified

performance looks. ( Screeeeeeeeeeeeeech!!!!!!!)

The above message was recorded using a lav mic as I turned my head side to side. At the end I got to close to my speaker. LOL

Good the lav works well for you but I was happy to dump mine.

Best,

Tim
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

I guess more specifically I was asking if anyone tapes the lav behind their ear. I see a lot of theater people do this and was wondering how it works for magic.
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 18:57, MysticalMatt517 wrote:
I guess more specifically I was asking if anyone tapes the lav behind their ear. I see a lot of theater people do this and was wondering how it works for magic.

Hello, MysticalMatt517 (if that is your real name),
The mic gets tape in front of your ear, not behind it. The typical technique is to place it at the edge of a hairline (sideburn, widow's peak, beard) that is as close as possible to the mouth. Bear in mond though, that the mic will be exposed to sweat, and that will kill most lav mics pretty quickly. High-end theatre folk deal with this in one of two ways. Either, they consider the mics to be disposable, discarding them when their quality begins to degrade, or they use DPA lav mics, which can be cleaned by swishing them in distilled water.

Also, as Timothy alluded to, our magic-specific application has nothing to do with it. It's a voice going into a mic and then through speakers...Nothing out of the ordinary. In terms of live-audio applications, magic is most close to theatre (as opposed to music or conventions), so the world-class theatre world generally has best grasp on almost-invisible mics. When they need almost-invisible mics, if possible, they use tiny headsets, because their ability to get a tiny headset loud-enough without feedback is significantly better than with a lav. When a lav must be used, it's usually in a hairline, or in a costume.

Good luck!
Dan McLean Jr
Regan
View Profile
Inner circle
U.S.A.
5699 Posts

Profile of Regan
I have had to use a lav a few times at a few venues that supplied the sound system, but I would never buy one. I love my headset.

Regan
Mister Mystery
Stephen Williams
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of Stephen Williams
I used a headset but it was quite big, so I have now changed to a really good quality lav mic. The main reason I did this is because my opening trick uses thread that runs over my head so the headset got in the way, and it was too big and looked like a huge black moth-ball infront of my face! Smile

I have the mic on my lapel as this mic seems to pick my voice up fine.
Ste
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
I used to use a headset, but decided I didn't like the look of it. I have used a lav. mic for about 4 years now and love it. I clip it just below the neck of my t shirt in the middle (I was recently told by a sound tech that T-shirts and lav mics are a sound technician's nightmare) and I don't have problems. I am, however, working on converting my act to be able to use a regular handheld.
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-22 20:07, MichaelKent wrote:
I am, however, working on converting my act to be able to use a regular handheld.

Let me know how that goes for you! Are you doing this on the basis of the argument presented in Maximum Entertainment? I've thought a lot about doing this, but haven't come up with a way that doesn't require using a Gim-Crack (whole other discussion, I know).

Oh, and I LOVE your website. Especially the "Home Page"... lol! Let me know if you ever perform at the OSU / NC-State Mansfield campus... I graduated a while back but I'm pretty sure I could still stop in as an alumni. ;-)
MichaelKent
View Profile
Special user
559 Posts

Profile of MichaelKent
Quote:
On 2007-10-22 22:07, Mystical Matthew wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-10-22 20:07, MichaelKent wrote:
I am, however, working on converting my act to be able to use a regular handheld.

Let me know how that goes for you! Are you doing this on the basis of the argument presented in Maximum Entertainment? I've thought a lot about doing this, but haven't come up with a way that doesn't require using a Gim-Crack (whole other discussion, I know).

Oh, and I LOVE your website. Especially the "Home Page"... lol! Let me know if you ever perform at the OSU / NC-State Mansfield campus... I graduated a while back but I'm pretty sure I could still stop in as an alumni. ;-)

Thanks, I'm glad you like the site. The homepage was the result of a smart@$$ comment I made to my web developer after I saw a "home" link on the index page. haha. I'll let you know if I get up to the Mansfield Campus.

Regarding the mic, the first reason is one of image. I like the "look" of holding a handheld mic. Appearance was the reason I switched from the headset (I thought it looked a bit pretentious for my image). A lot of guys can pull it off. I cannot.

I have read the argument in Weber's book and it's a good one. Also, for practicality purposes, I'm playing different rooms every time and using a house P.A. system. I currently bring my own lav. mic and plug into their system, but this would be one more thing I don't have to bring with me. It's true that handheld mic's are TONS easier to get to sound good.

I recently had a discussion with a colleague of mine about this issue and we agreed it is much better to learn how to properly use a straight stand than a god-awful carrot-top style gim-crack device. I have, in a pinch, used a shoelace to tie a mic. around my neck, but I'd like to be able to do the whole act with the mic in my hand and on a straight stand. This would allow my act to play anywhere at any time. It also matches my image a bit better.
Amyxdove
View Profile
Regular user
Andy Amyx
143 Posts

Profile of Amyxdove
Just buy the Countryman mic. It is a bit $$$$ but is the best. You will need a good pack Sure, AKG, Audio Technica, Samson, Sennheiser, etc. I have been using the Countryman for about 15 years now. Hope this helps.

Andy Amyx
Andy Amyx

www.andyamyx.com
Sam Pearce
View Profile
Veteran user
Ontario, Canada
310 Posts

Profile of Sam Pearce
Granted, headsets can be very ugly, but like Andy said, invest in a Countryman type system, they are awesome!

As for how they look, compare these pictures...

Years ago when I was using a big ugly mic.

A recent show with my micro mic.

I'm a huge fan of headsets!
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Indeed the countryman is a GREAT mic...however ask most sound engineers and they will almost always tell you the BEST mic is actually DPA. That said..the best mic for any particular individual, is the one that does a good enough job for them in their particular situation.

Do you go wrong if you get a countryman...no, not at all. However, the element in the DPA is waterproof...I know first hand. It goes over both ears and is rock solid WITHOUT using tape. It is reversible and can be used as both a right or a left mic.

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
803 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 21:05, Living Illusions wrote:
..the best mic for any particular individual, is the one that does a good enough job for them in their particular situation.

As usual, I agree with Kevin. The choice between handheld, lav, tiny headset, or full-size headset is dependent upon your performing situation.

Quote:
... the element in the DPA is waterproof...I know first hand. It goes over both ears and is rock solid WITHOUT using tape. It is reversible and can be used as both a right or a left mic.

The DPA is also better-sounding than the already-excellent Countryman.

By the way, not ALL of the DPA's are reversible from left to right side. The 4066, 4067 & 4088 are reversible, but the 4065 is not.
Dan McLean Jr
Fitz
View Profile
Elite user
Phoenix, AZ
476 Posts

Profile of Fitz
A tip about using a lav when you are wearing a tie is, to clip the mic in your ties knot and point it straight up at you mouth. This is a solid mount in an area that does not move a whole lot. It is also very close to your mouth and gets a strong even sound from your voice. This is the technique I use on CEOs and corporate speakers I on the other hand prefer my hand held mic.

Fitz
I have a daily web show all about magic at http://FitzMagic.info
tacrowl
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
1633 Posts

Profile of tacrowl
Quote:
On 2007-10-25 21:05, Living Illusions wrote:
However, the element in the DPA is waterproof...I know first hand.

Works great with a balloon tip too... Smile
Tom
Tom Crowl - Comedy Ventriloquist

ComedyVentriloquist.com

Learn-Ventriloquism.com

Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
The Lav microphone is designed to be around the neck or lapel placed. It is generally directional. Placing it in a position where it's directional pattern doesn't put your voice projection makes it a poor mike. You can get omni directional lav mikes, but they pick up every sound banging around on stage with you, and tend to be bad about feedback without delays. Putting a unidirectional lav behind your ear is likely to give you dead sound areas and pick up noise you don't want. An omni direction lav is going to be a real pain. I'd go with a headset mike before trying the lav in the ear position.
In the old days pre wireless, the lav was what most of us had to work with, unless we wanted to be stuck standing behind a mike stand. It was a pain, but allowed you to have your hands free. Key to placement is putting it where you won't knock it off, and it still gives you the sound reproduction you need. I found dove work and old style lavs really did not go well with each other. Never tried it with a wireless.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Lavalier Question (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL