We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your Driving Skills Test?...I'm Nervous : - ( (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
AsL
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of AsL
Did you pass or fail your first driving skills test (to obtain your license)?
If you failed, why?

I'm scheduled to take mine this Thursday and I'm extremely nervous. I'm confident about my driving skills but I suppose it's just the fact that somebody will be watching my every move that makes me uneasy.

All the Best,
magicianguy4life
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I failed like a mo fo. We had driving ed in school (now in California you have to hire an outside company) and I was the only one in the class who had never...ever...not even once....been behind the wheel of a car. The first time I drove with everyone I think I ran five stop signs and almost got into two accidents. The first skill test, which was that day, I hit every pylon. Good luck!
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Driving tests have become very difficult in recent years. The slightest indication of nervousness on your part will definitely lead to failure. This failure will be noted on your permanent record, and will make subsequent tests increasingly critical of your ability. Pay for testers is based on the amount of unsafe drivers they keep off the road. It is in their own best interest to make you fail. Men are 86% more likely to fail than woman. Be prepared to parallel park a small pick up truck with manual transmission.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Don't worry about people watching you. They are just as nervous as you are so stop that nonsense. Now....Santas rules for safe driving:

Drive ahead of the car....meaning don't look right in front of the car but a few car leangths.

The speed limit is there for a reason and following it is not only safest but you will never get a ticket for speeding.

Slow down in the rain, really slow down in the snow

Watch everyone around you, drive defensively

Your car can easily kill people, remember that and don't play games

There is no phone call or CD more important than the safety of yourself or others so don't use the phone or try to change CDs while driving. (note: Gilroy California about eight years ago an 18 year old girl killed six bicycle riders because she was changing a CD)

Check your oil and your tires.

Never, ever, ever, ever, ever, drink and drive, smoke dope and drive, get into a car with a driver who has been drinking or smoking or any other drug, never, do not do it and if you are driving do not even have one single drink. I'm tired of the deaths and injuries caused by drunks and I am now of the belief that if they are pulled over and found to be drunk the car is taken and the license is taken and it ain't going to go back to them.

There! Have fun.....
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Was the skills test he mentioned the drivers test for the license? Oh...that is different. I know the big thing in California where I was in the test was the guy will say "yo number one go wrong wrong round eye, you turn go backy backy you fail if not!" and rather than doing an U Turn you turn down the street and go around the block. The other thing was no matter what the posted speed limit is the speed limit in front of senior centers, schools, fire departments, and court houses is 25. I know that cuz I got a ticket for doing the posted speed limit in front of a court house.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Drivers test? You always came across as at least 17. Don't worry, Josh #2 is 12. I'm way over 12

Regardless, try to slip the test guy a $20. If that doesn't work try showing a little leg. I wouldn't know how to cope with failure as the $20 worked for me.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
I passed my written to get my L on the first try.

I failed my test to get my N. I ran through a stop sigh. It was at an intersection where the lane was 4+ car widths wide, I didn't even see it heh.

And I passed my test to get my full class 5 on the first try.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
I passed both car and motorcycle, written and road tests, with perfect scores. Just relax for the road test. As for written, the best way to pass is to remember to stick with your first answer. These days most States have sample questions available on their websites. Don't be surprised if you miss some of the sample questions, State standardized tests are often poorly written.
POOF!
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
I don't think I would pass nowadays. Too many bad habits learned.
Mystical Matthew
View Profile
Elite user
468 Posts

Profile of Mystical Matthew
I failed my driving test three times. Passed it on the fourth.

The first time I failed because I almost ran over some little kids. Literally.

The second and third time I failed manuverability.

The last time I finally got it...

The lady who administered the test the first three times was really mean and made me nervous. She was on vacation the last time... Got lucky I guess ;-).

That was seven years ago and I've never been in a single accident, gotten a ticket, or been pulled over since getting my license.
Josh Riel
View Profile
Inner circle
of hell
1999 Posts

Profile of Josh Riel
Wait till you try for a HAZMAT Endorsement for your CDL. That's misery.

But Kreggs right, just relax. You'll screw up way more if you start to stress.
Magic is doing improbable things with odd items that, under normal circumstances, would be unnessecary and quite often undesirable.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Funniest license store I ever heard was a woman I knew years ago (she is likely dead or in prison now) who, during her test, did what was called a Chinese Fire Drill (now I'm sure it is called a Human Fire Drill) where you leap out of the car at an intersection and run around the car then jump back in. She failed and showed us the comment on the form where the guy wrote "Chinese Fire Drill FAIL", he didn't even finish giving her the test.

Joey, what is an N? What is a class five?
AsL
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of AsL
Quote:
On 2007-10-08 00:49, Josh Riel wrote:
Drivers test? You always came across as at least 17. Don't worry, Josh #2 is 12. I'm way over 12

Regardless, try to slip the test guy a $20. If that doesn't work try showing a little leg. I wouldn't know how to cope with failure as the $20 worked for me.

Josh,
Actually I'm older than seventeen. I just didn't see the point in spending four hundred dollars for a drivers ed class in high school when I can obtain my license practically free once I'm an adult.

Thanks for all of the replies so far.

All the Best,
magicianguy4life
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Oh...you are 18 then....
AsL
View Profile
Special user
673 Posts

Profile of AsL
MagicSanta,
That is a possibility. Let's just say that I've been living on a small island for quite a few years now and a driver's license has been far from something that I needed. I'll leave it at that.

Any other tips? suggestions? advice?

All the Best,
magicianguy4life
hoodrat
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern California
384 Posts

Profile of hoodrat
When I was in highschool, I went for my first driver's test using my parents' car. When we got to the examination site, the examiner got into the passsenger seat and immediately failed me. Why? My dad hadn't yet renewed the car's registration sticker which (in Pennsylvania) is located in the lower left corner of the windshield. It was expired! The examiner noticed it immediately.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5845 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Just drive the dang car and get it over with. My dad didn't get a license until he was thirty, my sister in law didn't until she was thirty five.
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Oh, well in British Columbia first you pass a written exam for an "L" or learners permit. You have to have somebody with a full license with you when driving for X amount of time until you get your N. An "N" is a novice license where you can drive by yourself, with a limited number of passengers. And then the class 5 is a full drivers license.
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
stoneunhinged
View Profile
Inner circle
3067 Posts

Profile of stoneunhinged
You know something? If you fail, maybe you deserve to fail. Just take the test, and if you fail...well...DON'T EVER DRIVE!

I HATE CARS AND I HATE THE AUTOBAHN!

Sorry.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2817 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I passed on my first try. I then went out and almost never drove again! Simply because the wife likes to drive so much and being in a car and not behind the wheel makes her nervous, (or is it being in a car with ME behind the wheel that makes her nervous?) So I just don't drive.

The last major bit of driving I did was to relieve her on the trip back from WDW in 05. I drove for about four hours, she didn't get as much rest as she thought she would because she kept thinking; "I'm falling asleep and the car is still moving... I'm asleep behind the wheel!" I tended also to jerk the car back to the left after it drifted and in the end it was better just to let her drive and pull over when she was tired.
"All the world's a stage, but the play is badly cast!" - Oscar Wilde
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Your Driving Skills Test?...I'm Nervous : - ( (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL