The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Roller Blinds (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Thank you everybody for all the help and useful tips and valuable inputs for all my stupid but valid questions.
Now, I have some question regarding roller blinds.
1) Does anyone have problems with it not retracting well or no having tension in the springs?
2) What other problems do you encounter with it?
How can we ensure that it works all the time?
I was working on a Flash Appearance and the roller blind retracted, jumped out of the fixtures and stopped working after that. I have other friends who have problems with their roller blinds as well.
3) Is there an alternative to rollerblinds?
Maps
the heart is where the magic begins
Visit my website
[www.mascotsandpuppets.com]
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
You need to get roller blinds at home depot and alter them by removing a little latch at the end that keeps them open. Then replace the blind with black velvet. Viola!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Reynold
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
I removed the 2 little levers giving the rachet wheel freedom to rotate but the problem exists!
Visit my website
reynold
View Profile
Elite user
Puerto Rico
490 Posts

Profile of reynold
It has happened to me before that the internal spring breaks and is hard to tell unless you open it to check. maybe your problem is an internal broken spring.
Reynold
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
It sounds to me that you have a broken spring. I have always been partial to the wooden rollers but they are harder to find.

I do not remove the levers but simply hit them with a punch so they cannot rotate and catch. I always leave about 1 1/2 to 2 layers of fabric around the roller to take some of the strain off the fabric attachment to the roller.

The alternative is to use a black situation. Roller blinds can also work side to side or use two that travel half the distance. I do not use roller blinds in my dove catching baskets for this very reason. I remember Les Smith of Owens Magic telling me that roller blinds can jam up. No one is infaliable on this.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Home Depot has a few types to choose from. The metal ones tend to mess up and break more often than the wood shades. These roller shades are becoming harder and harder to find due to newer technology in shades.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
The ones I had are like poster tubes. Maybe use spandex t--ps are more fail-proof than blinds? You just step through it!
What about blinds that are activated by a motor? Will it turn fast enough to wind the cloth up?
Visit my website
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Jim Gerrish uses gravity blinds on his PVC Pipe Archway. You have to watch out that you don't get hit on the head or the foot with a hefty metal rod in the hem, but it works when you need it to most.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Quote:
On 2007-10-09 00:10, maps wrote:
The ones I had are like poster tubes. Maybe use spandex t--ps are more fail-proof than blinds? You just step through it!
What about blinds that are activated by a motor? Will it turn fast enough to wind the cloth up?

The blinds in Copperfield's Elevator go up and down pretty fast. I'm not quite sure what type of system is moving them though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkkgV1_5-2Q
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Its a pretty simple system.. small motorized unit. Many people are using them in their homes these days. This is why the rollers are vanishing. Ive never used a blind that had to move quickly. For example, shadow box doesn't have to move fast.

But the motorized units are available and getting cheaper. Saw a really cool japanese themed one. The shade was down and showed a rose bush with a cocoon hanging. Shade went up window, then back down and it was a butterfly in the roses. You could program it to time or light. The idea of changing the shade look was to give the option to make your room look different at any given time. You picked your own themes... the example happened to be japanese that I witnessed.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
This is one of those areas like hiring a defense attorney where bragging on the money saved is usually very expensive. Buy the good ones from a real drapery shop. (Yes, the roller is often wooden!)

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
chmara
View Profile
Inner circle
Tucson, AZ
1911 Posts

Profile of chmara
I prefer gravity feed when dimensions and position allow. My remaining ZZ has 2 Gravity and One roller but my last had rollers all around and needed them maintained and tuned a little more. Good hardware is the answer with rollers -- using fabric of proper weight/opaque relationship also makes roller run smooth and not become fouled...or run "off track."

One good thing about curtain store suppliers -- they can get the best stuff AND make it proper size and spring without you having to try 17 times to get it right.
Gregg (C. H. Mara) Chmara

Commercial Operations, LLC

Tucson, AZ

C. H. Mara Illusion & Psychic Entertainments
Christian Illusionist
View Profile
Special user
Ohio (currently located in Missouri)
503 Posts

Profile of Christian Illusionist
Quote:
On 2007-10-09 15:20, videokideo wrote:
Its a pretty simple system.. small motorized unit. Many people are using them in their homes these days. This is why the rollers are vanishing. Ive never used a blind that had to move quickly. For example, shadow box doesn't have to move fast.

But the motorized units are available and getting cheaper. Saw a really cool japanese themed one. The shade was down and showed a rose bush with a cocoon hanging. Shade went up window, then back down and it was a butterfly in the roses. You could program it to time or light. The idea of changing the shade look was to give the option to make your room look different at any given time. You picked your own themes... the example happened to be japanese that I witnessed.

Are you talking about the Elevator blinds being ran by a motor?

I figured it was some type of motor system or another, but those blinds go up and down really fast and very smoothly. Do you know what type or how many motors would be needed to have the blinds on a four-sided box go up and down that fast and that smoothly?
We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of dreams.
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Anyone has any idea what rpm motor would be suitable?
Visit my website
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Yes, they are motorized. Very small motors, and I don't consider the blinds on elevator fast.

The ones ive seen for sale are usually custom to the window size. You aren't just buying the blinds, but also the frameing its built into. Its all one unit. But most illusions are walls and frames. But others are the actual blinds alone. Just go to a window store or home improvements location.

Build your own and it may bite you in a show!

http://www.yourblinds.com/motorized_remote_blinds.asp

http://www.motorizedsolutions.com/

Google is powerful!
maps
View Profile
Inner circle
1124 Posts

Profile of maps
Thanks for the link videokideo.Very useful information.
Visit my website
videokideo
View Profile
Special user
895 Posts

Profile of videokideo
Those are jsut a couple of the first links I found... use google and look deeper if necessary. Those aren't anything specific except that they are motorized blinds. There are many manufacturers out there.
Drew Murray
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Drew Murray
How do you remove the latches at the end? I am having the same problem with it retracting or locking when I don't want it to.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7658 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Don't remove them. Just take a punch, retract them and put a little dimple in the metal so they cannot move.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
Kailin
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Kailin
Actually Motorized Blinds is quite good alternative.
Most of them comes with years of warranty.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Roller Blinds (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL