The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Pressure fan (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

bryn
View Profile
New user
South Africa
1 Post

Profile of bryn
Hi, I have been trying to do the pressure fan for like a week now and I just can't get it. Every time I do it, it starts off right but then I think it hits my finger and it looks really bad. Does any one know of any book or DVD's that I can use to help me with all my card skills plz?
dobber
View Profile
Regular user
163 Posts

Profile of dobber
The much-recommended Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic explains the technique on page 156.
dobber
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3397 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I've been doing this stuff for over 40 years and I don't always hit it either. Takes time and practice.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
I encountered the exact same problem when I started doing card magic.. and I gave up on it because thumb fan works well for me.
actually card college vol 1 describes the pressure fan briefly, but maybe I'm too lazy to learn this fan. if I remember correctly, jeff McBride's video on card manipulation teach this fan also.
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Make sure cards are new and clean, and you need to spring the cards into your hand. Sounds like you are pushing them into your hand.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Nedim
View Profile
Elite user
istanbul/turkey
444 Posts

Profile of Nedim
Hi,

You can easily learn it from Jeff McBride Card Manipulation Dvds.

magicially yours,

Nedim Guzel
SoCalPro
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1602 Posts

Profile of SoCalPro
I don't use this fan (although I might start learning) but here is a link from yet another "teacher" on the net. Smile :

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uHgBzSwzgug

BTW, I've always been fascinated with the "Ribbon Spread" I believe it's called. It's basically where you bend the card the opposite way (from the above fan) and let the cards spread from one hand to the other. This is one that I have never been able to grasp.

JIM
spycrapper
View Profile
Loyal user
Indonesia
295 Posts

Profile of spycrapper
Jim,

I think it's called LePaul spread, and could be learned from McBride's video also. the original should be in The Magic of LePaul (i don't have the book, so CMIIW)
Magic is life

Ario A.
visit my blog:
http://amagicblog.wordpress.com
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I don't think I will ever get the LePaul Spread to work. Although the Pressure Fan is a lot easier to learn (I think anyway) they do have one thing in common: they give your cards a nasty warp after a very short time. The Pressure Fan really breaks the back of your deck and the cards quickly loose their stiff springy feel.

The Pressure Fan is, like photius suggests, a case of spreading and springing or squeezing out cards at the same. It's a knack and it simply takes as long as it takes. It took me a really long time to learn it and now that I do it rather well, I prefer to do a Thumb Fan instead. It is smaller and it doesn't have the impressive feature of the pressure Fan, which is that from the audience perspective, the cards seem to spread out in a wave.

Still a Thumb Fan is prettier I think, and it is easy to close with one hand. For a less intimate setting, like on a stage or in a room with many spectators, a Pressure Fan will be the fan that plays to the back rows tho.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
shek
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles, CA
244 Posts

Profile of shek
If you are interested in learning how to fan in general, De'vo's Xtreme Beginner DVD has a FANTASTIC one-hour workshop on fanning. I learned how to pressure fan from this DVD, and I can't recommend it enough if you want great fans (and of course flourishes in general).
Mark Wilden
View Profile
Veteran user
San Francisco
375 Posts

Profile of Mark Wilden
In my reading (and viewing), the pressure fan is supposed to be the easy way to fan, especially with bad cards. I still can't do it, though (I also can't spring from my fingers - just my thumb).

However, my LePaul spread isn't bad. I don't do it much because the deck gets lepauled and my son gives me grief. Smile

Couple of things that have helped me: 1) I think of "drawing" the cards from the right hand with the left hand, instead of springing them. 2) The less noise, the better you're doing it. As always, a light touch helps.

///ark
sean_mh
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of sean_mh
A related question: After considerable ( Smile ) practice I am able to do a decent pressure fan, but I find that the pivot point at the corner of the deck tends to slide to the right as I produce the fan (if that makes some sense). The fan still looks nice, but when I close it back up again, the ends of the deck are not lined up, which messes me up if I'm trying to retain the jog on a card that has been replaced in the fan. The jog 'gets lost' amongst all the other cards that are no longer square.

If the preceeding description makes ANY sense at all, can anyone help me with a solution for this? Thanks. Smile

Sean
The Amazing Noobini
View Profile
Inner circle
Oslo, Norway
1658 Posts

Profile of The Amazing Noobini
I'm reading my previous post where I claim to do the Pressure Fan "quite well". I think someone must have drugged me. I do a pressure fan but it's not pretty and round like the ones I have seen others do. Mine has no center because I cannot reach far enough with my thumb for proper axis.

So the Pressure Fan as it is SUPPOSED to be, that I cannot do at all.

I still have the audacity to offer a suggestion, Sean. If it's uneven like that, it could be that you use too much pressure. I think a light squeeze is all that should be required. The same way you don't need force to ribbon spread.

Having all four fingers on the outer short end might help. I tend to want to do it without my pinkie, but the fan is a lot more even with this fourth finger even if it doesn't really do anything up there.
"Talk about melodrama... and being born in the wrong part of the world." (Raf Robert)
"You, my friend, have a lot to learn." (S. Youell)
"Nonsensical Raving of a lunatic mind..." (Larry)
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
Every pack of cards you pick up will require a different pressure, timing and handling as all cards are not the same. I started off using bridge cards with fanning powder to make it easier but I think it's just practise, practise, practise. I learnt the pressure fan from the Jeff McBride dvds and I'm still learning how to perform it properly. Good luck,

Diane
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Pressure fan (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL