The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Color change with least movement (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Mb, that vanish is in fact Dingle's Bounce Change. It's the one taught on Platt's DVDs.
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Larry has a very different one hand change that is in his new book KOTR. It uses a wrist motion like that done with front and back palming of cards. He performs it very nicely on the DVD, as well as teaching it, too. He does it with silver dollar size coins. I'm practicing it right now with halves. There is no shaking action or excessive arm movement to hide the change.

I also agree that the Crimp Change is excellent and was worth the practice to get it down smoothly.

David
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
OK, cool. I know I saw this somewhere...I also think that Justin Miller referred to this change in his explanation of his Silver Change, I believe. But I'm thinking, what is the "Bounce" part in the use of the Catapult Vanish?
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

"Believe in YOU, and you will see the greatest magic that ever was." -Mb Smile
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3631 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
That's just what he called it. Prolly when the other coin is dropped from CP.
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Thanks, Josh and Gary. Smile
*Check out my latest: Gifts From The Old Country: A Mini-Magic Book, MBs Mini-Lecture on Coin Magic, The MB Tanspo PLUS, MB's Morgan, Copper Silver INC, Double Trouble, FlySki, Crimp Change - REDUX!, and other fine magic at gumroad.com/mb217magic Smile

Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
For those of you who are familiar with Richard Sanders' Visi-Bill switch, consider this. Utilizing two contrasting coins and this move will bring about a very visual change that requires minimal finger adjustment. Instead of using the same broad hand waving motions associated with most one hand changes (which mask the moment the move is executed), simply raise the hand to the mouth to blow on the coin, then bring the hand back down to chest/waist height. I have been using this change for years in my version of Chris Kenner's Hellbound Spellbound routine.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=FFBwVhMyeiA (Here's an old video of it...excuse the flash at the end.)

Another cool color change that doesn't require much motion would be Richard Kaufman's Touch Change from CoinMagic.

While we're at it, if you remember the first change-over in Geoff Latta's A Trick With Three Coins, the action of shuttling a visible coin into finger palm and producing the palmed coin(s) as the hands come together can produce a startling color change by using two different coins. I include this change for two reasons. A) the hands are shown empty throughout the change. B) the hands/fingers show NO adjustment as the change is made.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Yeah, I remember that vid, E... Very nice changes, but then all your work with changes are great, absolutely inspiring. Smile That one is a very pretty one.

graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
The Winter Change... Howard
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
In regards to the Bounce Change, I've heard it was Dingle's but also heard a reference to it attached to Paul Gertner (remarkable magician) as per Justin Miller, who incidentally does it expertly and has even created behind it. Any word on where this actually originated?

Also, Platt attaches the Bounce Change to the Catapult Coin Change that he attributes to Sawa(?), but others say is his creation, that he actually says I think that he did not actually originate. Anyway, I also don't remember him mentioning Dingle at all in what he called the Bounce Change/Catapult Coin Change. Just trying to understand better here. Incidentally, great DVD offering by Platt, loads of doable magic brought across in Platt's unique way. Smile -Mb

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
By smallest movement, do you mean actual or audience-perceived?

For example, my EG2EG change has no perceived hand motion at all - in that you turn the coin over and then leave your hand right where it is as the rest of your body moves to do something, and only when they look back is the change even visible.

On the other side, the CP2CP change happens under cover of simply opening and closing your hand.

My DB2DB change can be done under cover of putting something on top of (or waving over) a coin resting at the base of the fingers. I suspect the Roth/Latta sleight can be done under similar cover.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
JT, I meant audience perceived. I don't care what I have to actually do. However, it has to be visual. It's in a Copper/Silver routine with EG. (The change doesn't have to include EG.)
Genuis@work

We're trying to adopt. Visit us HERE
Mb217
View Profile
Inner circle
9530 Posts

Profile of Mb217
Hey, SP60, just wondering here, as I think JT makes a good point somewhat, as to the need for "least movement" or "effortless". It depends on what you can do and what's comfortable and fits within what you need it to do. I like these changes of minimal movement, but I also like the wave used as it signals the magic and doesn't allow it to enter until the supposed wave introduces it. To me, it is extremely visual when done well and psychologically acceptable by the spec without question as per what he sees and believes.
Since others are speaking of their works, I will speak of mine...I like to use my Crimp Change because it is indeed effortless, great for Cop/Silv changes, and quite visual. It is also done in one hand and can lead you into all sort of pathways; quite flexible and adaptable, too. The finger movement is not as minimal as some other changes mentioned here, but I think in the way of visualness it is right up there with the some of the best. Again, the wave, as Eric said, hides any movement, so to the spec there is only a wave and then magic. Smile Just my view on it, but a good discussion you started. Smile

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

LOL, then I suggest the EG2EG, and since this is in routine there is:

Steve Dusheck's two at the fingertips changes, let's call them "wax on" and "wax off", which are taught in his Copper/Silver and Slippery Sam Combination Coins instructions.

Roth's Flash Change, a VISIBLE change of a coin as it falls from one hand to the other.

Roth/Latta Flopperino Change - almost as clean as the Roth Flash Change.

Also, if you are wearing a jacket, the change taught by Roth on one of his videos, a very direct "wave your hand over the coin" change that is very sensible.

If on a table, there's an old coin change of mine in an issue of the IBM monthly magazine - can PM for that one (one of my first contributions to our literature back in late '75 or early '76).

AND of course, there's the wonderful stuff you can do with a Raven when you shim a Steve Dusheck gaff (currently available as "Digital Dissolve").

And if you want an eye-popper, there's one where you just tap the coin with a pen and it changes...also a Dusheck thing. Smile Ask him. Smile
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
JT Had A Point!!!!!!!!!! YEAH!!!

(Sorry, JT, I couldn't resist.)

Thanks for the discussion, guys.

Marion,
I don't mind the wave, it just doesn't seem to fit in the routine. Here is what I PMed Rannie about. The routine I'm doing (think Hanging Coins) ends up with a coin at fingertips and a coin in EG. I want to be able to show the silver, do the change on a downward movement, and place the copper on the back of the hand (using the fingertips). That is my problem.

JT,
I'm waiting for the Sept., 2006 issue of Genii to come in. I thought I had heard that your EG2EG is in it. As for the one on the table, I'd love to see it. For a table change, I use the Sankey Flip-Over Change. Never have really liked it, but it is the best I have so far.
Genuis@work

Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

The Genii issue has a one handed vanish which can be done as a hand to hand toss. If you also flop a coin out of finger palm in the catching hand you have a pretty strong illusion of a mid-air change that happens close to chest level and straight on viewing angle. The EG2EG sleight was published in Kainoa Harbottle's Coins on Edge item - still available at his website.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1458 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
If you can maneuver the coin in EG to DP, CP the visible coin as your hand drops. The coin in DP will automatically hit your fingertips. Don't know if it fits your routine, but there's very little hand or finger movement required.
Eric Jones
View Profile
V.I.P.
Director of Product Development
2101 Posts

Profile of Eric Jones
Also, Joe Jesse has a really cool change that he'll be including in his new project. I'm not really at liberty to say much more, but he's a member of this forum and you should be able to contact him via PM if interested. Ask him about his terrific walk-around Wild Coin routine.
“We're two tigers away from an act in Vegas.” Greg House M.D.
<BR>
<BR>http://www.ericjonesmagic.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I mentioned to Rannie that I was working on an in-hand Wild Coin routine with 3 silvers and one copper.
For the second, a one-handed coin change, I use JT's EG2EG as I'm gesturing/pointing to my LH hand with my RH, which holds a silver, indicating that the first coin had changed to copper. Suddenly, the RH is also holding a copper at the finger tips.

I haven't really tried the routine "live", but it looks OK and I thank JT for it.
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
I was hoping to put off Kainoa's stuff, as I know I won't have a life trying to perfect those. Smile JK, I'll see if the wife will let me buy it.

Nathan, that is a very natural and good-looking change, but it happens in two beats, closing and unclosing the hand. I want this to be one beat. Thanks, though.

Eric, thanks, I'll see if I can find Mr. Jesse.

Jaz, I look forward to seeing it.
Genuis@work

Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
2015 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 09:58, Mb217 wrote:
In regards to the Bounce Change, I've heard it was Dingle's but also heard a reference to it attached to Paul Gertner (remarkable magician) as per Justin Miller, who incidentally does it expertly and has even created behind it. Any word on where this actually originated?

Also, Platt attaches the Bounce Change to the Catapult Coin Change that he attributes to Sawa(?), but others say is his creation, that he actually says I think that he did not actually originate. Anyway, I also don't remember him mentioning Dingle at all in what he called the Bounce Change/Catapult Coin Change. Just trying to understand better here. Incidentally, great DVD offering by Platt, loads of doable magic brought across in Platt's unique way. -Mb

Thanks for the kind words, MB. David Roth told me that Dingle learned what came to be known as the "Dingle Bounce Change" from Dr. Sawa on a trip to Japan. It was something, as I mention on the Catapult DVD, that I naively thought I invented, only to learn many came before me. On Catapult, I use the change with varying angles, timings, and objects (my favorites being business and playing cards). It's a brilliant change that I felt was being under-explored. Since the release, I've received many emails from people who were inspired to take the change to some very creative places I never would have imagined. There's a world of magic in this move alone.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Nothing up my sleeve... » » Color change with least movement (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL