We Remember The Magic Caf We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless "compatible systems" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
A sturdy fence needs at least
229 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
I was surfing wireless info and read that the company's entry level wireless boasted "Up to 8 compatible systems" while their top-of-the-line model boasted "Up to 40 compatible systems."

The brand is irrelevant but I wonder if Dan or someone else could illuminate what this "compatible systems" means.
Owen Anderson
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Quote:
On 2007-10-09 14:26, Owen Anderson wrote:
I was surfing wireless info and read that the company's entry level wireless boasted "Up to 8 compatible systems" while their top-of-the-line model boasted "Up to 40 compatible systems."

The brand is irrelevant but I wonder if Dan or someone else could illuminate what this "compatible systems" means.

Hi, Owen!
I'll be happy to help. First, different manufacturers sometimes use language that is unclear. What brand were you looking at? That'll help to get you the most clear answer.
Cheers!
Dan McLean Jr
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
Hi Dan,
I was looking at Shure wireless models. Depending on the system there's a $500+ spread between the entry level "up to 8 compatible systems across multiple UHF bands" and the fancy which boasts "up to 40." I wondered how many 'compatible systems' you'd need for school gyms, banquet halls, outdoor events using dirty power, etc.
Just curious about the lingo, with the Cdn dollar at par the prices of these things have become very attractive lately.
Cheers, Owen
Owen Anderson
Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
View Profile
Special user
Toronto, Canada
804 Posts

Profile of Dan McLean Jr aka, Magic Roadie
Hi, Owen!
I wouldn't worry about that spec if you're using only one wireless mic. Nevertheless, I'll explain it a bit. What they mean, is that you can operate up to eight of that model in the same room at the same time.

Even though you may have only one wireless mic, there's more to consider. Other wireless mics can cause interference, as can two-way radios (used by event organizers, security, catering, etc), and wireless "ClearCom" (used by show technicians), and there are even more possible sources of interference. Standard & digital TV are increasingly problem-causing. Even if there's only one other source of wireless activity in the area, that one source might interfere with your mic. Having a wireless mic that allows you to change frequencies will allow you more opportunities to avoid interference.

Different venues, different personnel, or different time-of-day can all mean different sources of potential interference, so a frequency-adjustable system (also known as "frequency agile") is pretty-well a necessity nowadays. Most shows, you'll never have to worry about interference, but every once in a while you'll experience interference that will be avoidable with a frequency-agile system.

Back to your original question though, Owen, "8 compatible systems" only means that eight of that model can operate in the same room at the same time, IF there's no interference from other sources.

Let me know if you need any more clarification, and I'll do my best to help.
Cheers from Toronto!
Dan McLean Jr
Owen Anderson
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Owen Anderson
OK, got it. If I'm starting a choir I might need the 40... ;o)
Thanks for the lingo lesson Dan.
Your patience and contributions to the F/X area are greatly appreciated.
Owen Anderson
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » F/X » » Wireless "compatible systems" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL