The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » The Lecture Network (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
OH, did Jeff leave?
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
michaangelo
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of michaangelo
I am less than satisfied. They do not answer e-mail and questions, and the video archives are not updated in a timely manner... The ipod section is way out of date, and currently, I am unable to view any of the videos. I would not recommend.
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
461 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
Anyone else get the cancellation notice from the Lecture Network today?
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
michaangelo
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of michaangelo
Yup. It explains why all of the videos went offline. I really appreciate their offer to current paid subscribers. E-mail their support address if you need more information.
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I got a notice and I'm not pleased at all. My renewal started in September I think and so I've really been messed over. I don't care about those DVD's, I've got most of the sessions I wanted downloaded on my IPOD and I couldn't stand watching Kozak do the interviews...I loved it in the beginning and now I've been stolen from.
demente42
View Profile
Regular user
Florida
199 Posts

Profile of demente42
My renewal was June so I at least got a few more months than Terry. It is a shame that their idea didn't take off better with the magic community as it was definately a great venue for those who aren't near lectures or their club can't book the caliber of lecturers that TLN was bringing in. It is a shame to get burned like this from them, as from what I know of Jeff he is a really nice guy and wouldn't want to intentionally rip anyone off. At least they are trying to make some concession (for what its worth) instead of saying sorry you are all out of luck.
Brandon Smith

Imagine The Impossible
www.MagicForAnyOccasion.com

Creator of Dough or No Dough & Show Me the Bunny.
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
I joined in May 2008, I learned a few things from the lectures. They should consider refund 25-50% for those joined less than 6 months ago.
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Florida
683 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
While I agree that it would be nice for those who joined within the last 2-3 months to get their money back, particularly in light of the fact that the series "LATELY", with exception of a few(IMO)wasn't all that great...the fact appears to be that there isn't any money in the cashbox to refund....

With that in mind, I'm guessing they came up with the best solution they had on hand...and while it may not be a terrific solution at least they are trying to give something as opposed to simply saying "see ya".....

I wish the idea had worked as I found it to be pretty good over all and would sign up again for something similar.... Since moving from Dallas years ago I haven't had the chance to go to many lectures and I really enjoyed and learned from many that they had. I'm confused as to why it didn't work....The price was certainly a fair one. I didn't see it mentioned much anywhere and I can't remember how I heard about it. That may have been one of the problems. People have to know about it before they can decide whether or not to buy in....

I do hope someone gives it another try. Perhaps there's another model that would work better. I do feel for the folks who just signed up or as in the case of Terry, just renewed....That really is unfair but I'm doubtful they really had much of a choice in the way they handled it. I don't know that but Jeff certainly has a good reputation and I suspect when they say "there is no money left for a refund" they are telling us the truth. I was luckier than some as I got a few months out of it.

I hope the idea isn't dead forever!

My best to all,

Bk
CarlEJones
View Profile
Elite user
Dallas, Texas
461 Posts

Profile of CarlEJones
I will be amazed if we ever see the promised DVD's. No harm meant to them in that statement -- I just think they are in wayyyyyy over their heads at this time, I am sad to say. I wish them the best and hope they all come out of this okay. They are some good guys.

Carl
THANK YOU for helping us carry on our laughter ministry in hospitals to kids of ALL ages. Our visits are ALWAYS free. We NEED & DEEPLY appreciate your gifts of magic so that we can do what we do. Please PM me with questions or, for a faster reply, in most cases please text or call 214-578-1601

https://youtu.be/2DbAdXKIf-A
https://youtu.be/sXXXyk6LJgE
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
Yes, my new year started on 9/12. I really enjoyed my previous years membership. Jeff did a great job with hosting and the content was wonderful. At least I did get to download the lectures I felt were exceptional so I will have them whether I get the DVD or not. I'm sure they're concerned about being sued right about now. They had said they were changing servers and that could be why you couldn't view the videos lately.
magicuncle
View Profile
Regular user
Elgin, IL
126 Posts

Profile of magicuncle
I have been a member from the start and I am sad that the business could not make a go of it, but I also would like to say thank you to all of the magicians who shared their time and knowledge on the network. Jeff and Loren had a good idea in taking advantage of todays technology. I too hope this is not the last of this type of marketing for magic.
bobbyk
View Profile
Special user
Florida
683 Posts

Profile of bobbyk
Quote:
On 2008-10-04 01:59, CarlEJones wrote:
I will be amazed if we ever see the promised DVD's. No harm meant to them in that statement -- I just think they are in wayyyyyy over their heads at this time, I am sad to say. I wish them the best and hope they all come out of this okay. They are some good guys.

Carl

I hope you are wrong about that...Not because I would die if I never got the DVD but because I would hope their reputations are something worthwhile to them and I suspect they are ....and I'm willing to bet on them (again) Smile

We'll see.... I know of some others who agree with you though. I hope that's not the case. They tried and it didn't work out....so lets hope they send out what was promised and we move forward.

Bk
michaangelo
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of michaangelo
I seriously wish them all the best. I believe they are all good guys. Honestly, they never responded to my e-mail requests for assistance, and the site became very disorganized at the end. Schedules weren't posted, there were repeat lectures, the lectures weren't posted in the archives, the Ipod function stopped working for me in May, so I don't have any of the lectures archived (nor did I think it was necessary, so I never even considered downloading all of them... I Am super disappointed because I too see the amazing promise of this type of service. I don't know if the issue was financial or time management. I understand that there may be no money for refunds, but they seemed able to cash the checks without much difficulty...

With all of that said, if the DVDs come through as promised, I would consider it a reasonable response to their circumstances. I hope they do right by all of the folks who stood by them and patiently waited as they suffered through the technical difficulties of growing and presenting The Lecture Network.
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
It has been two weeks since the Lecture Network revealed that they had simply ran out of money for operations. I am just curious if anyone has heard anything about the DVD? Am hopeful they can still put one together.
michaangelo
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of michaangelo
There was an e-mail to subscribers on October 3rd and nothing since to my knowledge.
awolf10421
View Profile
New user
10 Posts

Profile of awolf10421
I did but it went into one of my spam filter folders (this is my fault) ....

its sad to see it go ....it had all the right things to make a great show, Your personal lecture right at home hang'n with your fav. magicians ....it just needed more seed to get it to take root ....

Love ya Jeff! ..... U 2 Loran ....even though I don't think we have ever met? LOL
hang in there....

Quote:
On 2008-10-03 18:33, CarlEJones wrote:
Anyone else get the cancellation notice from the Lecture Network today?
Ace of Spades
View Profile
New user
54 Posts

Profile of Ace of Spades
I enjoyed most of the lectures and thought it was well worth the money.
michaangelo
View Profile
Regular user
184 Posts

Profile of michaangelo
The site has completely disappeared now, so it seems official. I thought it was a fantastic idea and I really wish they could have made it work. I am not sure where the glitches were or what really went wrong. My personal experience was that there were enough issues to make The Lecture Network a full time job for a couple of people and there wasn't the staffing or experience in the high tech arena to make it happen. It was awesome to get to see some of the amazing sessions... I wish they could have made a go of it. I really hope they are able to follow through with their promise of an archive DVD for all subscribers. I wish all involved the best and hope that maybe someone else can grab this idea and run with it!
SteveFromSpokane
View Profile
Regular user
199 Posts

Profile of SteveFromSpokane
Perhaps they could make an offer to the members to pay for the cost of the DVD which would still be a good deal for both parties.

I had such great hopes for this endeavor. I doubt anyone else will try it again.
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
Has anyone gotten any more news on the promised DVD's. I renewed my membership and 2 months later the site went down. I think I should have gotten at least a partial refund. I know Jeff is on the lecture circuit. I hope someone has asked about this. I know personally I would have gotten a loan to pay back the funds. You are only as good as your reputation. The damage that this does to the "next guy" is enormous.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » A tangled web we weave... » » The Lecture Network (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL