The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Another VCA ... from MM this time? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi,

It sells on Amazon.com for $133.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WZQ......-5381662

Also there is one for sale here on the "tricks for sale" section $60.

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......76&0

Details about the manufacturer are on the links.

Kyf
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Well, someone's being a bit more forthright. At the Amazon link, the name of the product is "The Illusion Coins with Steve Tippeconnic". So in spite of the fact that it's still Ben Salinas in the demo reel it's somebody else on the DVD you get.

And can we confirm whether the routine that Ben Salinas does in the demo is the routine that's taught on the DVD?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
Someone sellign iot here on the Café says " I bought it cause of Steve Tippeconnic good handling" or somthign of that sort. that must be a joke. the handling wasn;t good even if it was done "better"
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
The routine that Salinas performs is the version taught, but the guy teaching it performs it much better. The Salinas handling looks horrible, but through no fault of the routine itself.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Joshua Barrett
View Profile
Inner circle
Cincinnati, Ohio
3627 Posts

Profile of Joshua Barrett
So are you suggesting that's a quality routine? if so please tell me what fine points about it that you see.
Loz
View Profile
Special user
London
771 Posts

Profile of Loz
I am aghast at the appalling clip on Amazon. You are being far too generous in your gentle request for clarification Joshua!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Open note to Steve Brooks and the Café staff:

Folks, would you be up for refusing advertising from MM and treating them as an unwanted influence here at the Café?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
Joshua, the routine isn't the greatest, but it's not bad by any means. The best thing about it is that this guy has a pretty good method for the last coin that doesn't involve putting it there and then making it jump back. I don't know what method Kohler uses, but this one is pretty and it looks much better when it's not Salinas doing it.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1045 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
Quote:
On 2007-10-16 23:01, Jeff Corn wrote:
Joshua, the routine isn't the greatest, but it's not bad by any means. The best thing about it is that this guy has a pretty good method for the last coin that doesn't involve putting it there and then making it jump back. I don't know what method Kohler uses, but this one is pretty and it looks much better when it's not Salinas doing it.

From what I see in the demo, the last coins is handled the same way as in Kohler's routine. It is a rip off plain and simple.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Michael, I too feel it's a ripoff of the Kohler item.

IMHO it is still a horrible abuse of Steve Dusheck's gaff, the work done by the U3F development team on the special gaff AND parts of the routine offered in that item.
Review King
View Profile
Eternal Order
14446 Posts

Profile of Review King
Quote:
On 2007-10-16 20:31, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Open note to Steve Brooks and the Café staff:

Folks, would you be up for refusing advertising from MM and treating them as an unwanted influence here at the Café?

Jonathan, Steve doesn't allow MM to advertis on the Café.
"Of all words of tongue and pen,
the saddest are, "It might have been"

..........John Greenleaf Whittier
Bob Johnston
View Profile
Inner circle
Philadelphia, PA
1251 Posts

Profile of Bob Johnston
M&M hardly needs to advertise here as they get mentioned constantly.
Any "press" is good press.

Bob
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24279 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
I saw the coins this evening at a local magic club meeting. They are metal. I'm going to be very precise about the quality. HORRID. These coins are cast. The metal looks like old silver. The coins look like "soft" Morgan dollars.

All of the coins, except one, have skated around the legality of making fake US coins by having the word COPY cast into the coin, not printed, but CAST, as part of the design.

However, the [ doesn't have this. This may fall afoul of the counterfeiting laws.

I would be curious about other aspects of these coins, though. For example, how much lead is in them? These are imported as toys.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Hart Keene
View Profile
Inner circle
Eugene, OR
1486 Posts

Profile of Hart Keene
Did the other thread on this effect vanish? It was like 6 pages or something...Anyone know what happened?
-Hart

Check out my website:
Magician Portland Oregon
AnthonyMaze
View Profile
Loyal user
San Diego, Ca
260 Posts

Profile of AnthonyMaze
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 12:42, Hart Keene wrote:
Did the other thread on this effect vanish? It was like 6 pages or something...Anyone know what happened?

It seems the other thread has been locked. There were about 11 pages of replies about these coins, although the last couple pages were off topic.
...for the 51st time... that is NOT my card...
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
The original thread was moved (at least most of it) to the "Right/Wrong" section of the Café:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......&start=0

Would have been nice to post the link here, but whatever. Maybe the ethically-minded noncoin people will find it there?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
John T Cox
View Profile
Veteran user
384 Posts

Profile of John T Cox
I was able to handle these coins a couple of days ago. To be honest, from the distance that 3 fly would be performed these would pass for soft Morgans - the kind that has a blackish tint to the recessed area. Up close they look ok on the front. The back has enormous relief, particularly in the feathers. Amusing, to me at least, is that they put a mint mark O on the coin right above the word COPY.

My read on this is that those who cannot justify spending hundreds may buy this set and enjoy working out the routine. If those people like it enough, perhaps they will buy the real thing. But, I doubt that this is taking "real" customers away from the real thing. If someone was really going to buy the original, they probably still will as these are not good enough for a true coin person. Just my opinion. It is a fascinating question that touches magic and other things too. The music industry is always chasing downloaders who, it seems to me, would never have been customers in the first place. Unfortunately this becomes a question of belief - belief that it is wrong or right, belief that it hurts sales of the original or does not... We can argue about beliefs all day long and nobody ever gets much satisfaction.

I will say that it was not nice for MM to do this. At least that is what I believe!
The real magic is family!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-31 10:40, hypnodream wrote:
... these would pass for soft Morgans - the kind that has a blackish tint to the recessed area...My read on this is that those who cannot justify spending hundreds may buy this set and enjoy working out the routine....I will say that it was not nice for MM to do this. At least that is what I believe!

Why offer the trick in Morgan Dollars at all? Why offer the trick in the first place without offering significant and novel aspects?

Let's suppose it's not "wrong" because it's not illegal ( please BK did you and TW patent that gaff so can persue real action on this? ) but since it offers a duplication of net effect it's certainly not adding anything - kind of like a knock off product - looks about the same from a distance and rationalized by saying that if the consumer is educated in the process it benefits all involved as they upgrade to the real thing.

But still... of all the ways to explore a trick and ways to offer a trick ...

Could have offered something nice using campaign buttons, could have offered something cute using lollipops where you pull off the sticks first. How about "round-tuits" for the trick?

Please folks, don't buy knock off goods.
Arnon
View Profile
Inner circle
1320 Posts

Profile of Arnon
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 10:55, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
But still... of all the ways to explore a trick and ways to offer a trick ...

Could have offered something nice using campaign buttons, could have offered something cute using lollipops where you pull off the sticks first. How about "round-tuits" for the trick?

Please folks, don't buy knock off goods.

I guess it's too late for the Oreo cookie design. Smile
tdowell
View Profile
Inner circle
1079 Posts

Profile of tdowell
I will not buy anything by Magic Makers Inc., the company disgusts me. Illusion coins is appauling at best. Those associated with this latest incarnation should be ashamed of themselves.

What's next? A Lassen Triple Threat copy made out of this garbage?????
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Another VCA ... from MM this time? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.18 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL