The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Another VCA ... from MM this time? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Kyf
View Profile
Loyal user
UK, England (but Scottish by birth)
265 Posts

Profile of Kyf
Hi Curtis,

To think of all the time I wasted practicing when all I needed was my iPod and a bucket - I guess I could use a plastic bucket too?

What a great set - the lazy miser's version of the miser's dream eh!

Mick, You could fit a small piezo electric crystal and circuit into your resin coins to make them sound like the real thing when dropped.

New marketing strategy

"Happy Meal U3F" - a free burger and fries with every purchase.

What time does the patent office close?

Kyf
"I put tape on the mirrors in my house so I don't accidentally walk through into another dimension." Steve Wright
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
A friend of mine who runs a magic shop was telling me about this yesterday. He bought "Come Fly With Me" from Mark Mason with the real Morgan Dollar coins. It looks great.

He said the MM version was a knock off of Mark Mason's effect and had coins created that matched what came with the CFWM effect and that it would be selling for around $150!!! Although much cheaper than CFWM and the real Morgan's, it can't be that good!

Seems like the knock-off would have to be made out of plastic or something similar, otherwise they would get a visit from the US Treasury and the Secret Service Dept. for, let's see, what do they call it??? Counterfeiting!!!

Mark. Smile
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Mark, you're saying that demo was done with gaffs similar to CFWM and still looked that cluttered and unconvincing? CRINGE!
...to all the coins I've dropped here
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Makes you wonder huh???

Mark.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Talking about "sound" in a Miser's Dream bucket... the late, great Fred Kaps used a sound making device in his Pirate's Chest (the one he threw the coins into in his act). This was a Pat Page suggestion and was a really amazing, simple and clever idea. It worked beautifully.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Tom G
View Profile
Inner circle
2754 Posts

Profile of Tom G
Pete, Ray Goulet has a Kaps Chest in his collection.. I was there when David Williamson ran to it like the Holy Grail and looked inside. "THAT'S how he
did it???" was all he could say..
jquackc
View Profile
Loyal user
JC - Denver
218 Posts

Profile of jquackc
Are they really plastic?.. Dangit! Now I have to get a new Rattle Gimmick.
JC

www.jquackc.com
myspace.com/jquackc

It's coming...QUACK... a new ebook from the fallible mind of JC... April 2048... groundbreaking material... limited edition... only 200 will be sold. Starting at $47... Preorder your copy toda
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Breaking news...wait a bit, but I hear the coins are metal. I once had some pretty good copies of Morgans made from some cheap (and harder then silver) metal. Made in China, and I'm sure there's a story, if not an indictment, behind that. But I don't know it.
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
jamie9
View Profile
Loyal user
211 Posts

Profile of jamie9
Yeah the coins are just metal replica coins that are not silver. The only downside is that they might say "REPLICA" somewhere on the coins.
Gary Dayton
View Profile
Special user
New Jersey
542 Posts

Profile of Gary Dayton
Sounds like TV Magic coins.
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
I saw a set last night. They are metal and do look decent, but the gaff only fits on one coin. It's made pretty well, but the coin was cut down and the others weren't. It's too bad, because if they all matched, it would be open to a little personal innovation. Then again, this company doesn't seem to know about personal innovation.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
TWOCAN
View Profile
Special user
PORT RICHEY FLORIDA
820 Posts

Profile of TWOCAN
Quote:
On 2007-10-10 13:02, jimbowmanjr wrote:
Rofl.....CD of coin noise....

I would probably fall over dead if the instructions included playing a CD to emulate coin 'chink' noises.....

That would be an original routine in my estimation.

--Jim
Using a coin ratteler would make this set seem realistic I'm sure.
Maker of Copper /Silver coin gaffs +

https://perch-star-nbdt.squarespace.com/home

Okito box clip.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=100n9CnFjXw
Visit my face book page , Copper silver coins by PT
Jeff Corn
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas
1190 Posts

Profile of Jeff Corn
They are realistic. They're metal coins, not plastic.
Yes, that is my real name. Yes, I am a real person. No, you probably won't agree with me.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Hmmm...wonder what the difference in the appearance of the coins might be. The wording, the image on the face, etc...?

There has to be something of a major difference from the real thing to avoid a visit from the Feds.

Mark.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Mark, if they're the pot metal replicas from asia, you can see them on ebaY.
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I'm one of those guys who buys just about anything having to do with coins. They are some kind of metal. They sound pretty good, but not like real silver.
The word "COPY" is printed on the reverse. The relief on the coins is a little high, so they don't stack evenly, but that doesn't hinder the routine. A nice feature is that when the coins are held with the date side (obverse) out, they look amazingly like "real" soft Morgans. I prefer real Morgans, but these handle rather nicely.
Curtis Kam
View Profile
V.I.P.
same as you, plus 3 and enough to make
3498 Posts

Profile of Curtis Kam
Jeff and Nicholas, did the gimmick on the "Illusion Coins" sets that you saw have the same "locking feature" that is present in the Kohler gaff?
Is THAT a PALMS OF STEEL 5 Banner I see? YARRRRGH! Please visit The Magic Bakery
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
Curtis:

The gimmick on the "Illusion Coins" set does have the same locking feature as the Kohler gaff. There's also a Teflon lining.

I really enjoy your work, by the way, Curtis.

Nick
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I forgot to add that the young man performing the demo and the routines uses real Morgans, not the fake ones.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27157 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-15 17:29, NicholasD wrote:...
The gimmick on the "Illusion Coins" set does have the same locking feature as the Kohler gaff...

That may well be grounds for action, as Thomas/Todd/Bob may have protected their design for the gaff.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Another VCA ... from MM this time? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL