The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How low will Criss go? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Now he's in bed with Uri Geller...
realitytvworld.com
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
I found it really strange that viewers will be invited to "debunk" the performers. Nothing was mentioned about this when they were enlisting participants in the show. Maybe someone who auditioned can correct me if I am wrong.

Regards how long Criss will go? He's a smart promoter and knows to make hay while the sun shines. He's going to keep selling his name until its yesterdays news. I predict he'll make it through 3 years of his 10 year live contract at the Luxor.

Best,

Tim
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
I don't like that - sure, lets let the (some) professional magicians out there put on their best work, some of which I guarantee will be things we perform, then publicly attempt to expose it.

I'd love to see Mr. Camera Magic himself let us debunk him live to an audience.

Punk
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
The debunk thing might be a case of the media making a mountain out of a molehill. The shows producers might have simply meant " It'll be so real you'll be talking with your friends trying to figure it out". We'll have to watch to see if the show really invites theories on hows its done.

BTW... sorry I misread the first post. I thought it said.. "How long will Criss go." that's why I mentioned my thoughts on how long he'd be around.

Best,

Tim
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11174 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Built-in irony with debunking... those who could, won't, or won't knowingly be asked.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
gaddy
View Profile
Inner circle
Agent of Chaos
3302 Posts

Profile of gaddy
Aside from his overly litigious nature, what's wrong with Uri Geller?

Reversing that question makes more sense to me...
*due to the editorial policies here, words on this site attributed to me cannot necessarily be held to be my own.*
Bill Nuvo
View Profile
Inner circle
3094 Posts or
2747 Posts

Profile of Bill Nuvo
Strange bedfellows, Uri and Criss are.
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-10-10 15:13, gaddy wrote:
Aside from his overly litigious nature, what's wrong with Uri Geller?

Reversing that question makes more sense to me...

Uri Geller burst on the scene several decades ago, not with a mentalist act, but with claims of psychic powers. Charlatanism rubs me the wrong way. How long will it be until we have John Edward joining them on the show, talking to the dead?
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
The Drake
View Profile
Inner circle
2274 Posts

Profile of The Drake
Now we can't talk about Uri without remembering this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ID5-pBw7E

Best,

Tim
elmago
View Profile
Loyal user
Northridge- Los Angeles, CA
268 Posts

Profile of elmago
Quote:
On 2007-10-10 15:47, Timothy Drake wrote:
Now we can't talk about Uri without remembering this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8ID5-pBw7E

Best,

Tim

Not tonight dear, I have a headache.
"Excellence is not a single act; it's a habit" Shaq quoting Aristotle after winning NBA MVP.
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Okay, here is a hint:

Criss Angel is on A&E, A&E is owned by NBC.
The new show with Geller is on NBC.
NBC pays Angel.
Angel has to obey the people that sign the checks.
Get the picture?
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Big Jeff
View Profile
Veteran user
301 Posts

Profile of Big Jeff
I'm sure criss is getting extra pay for doing two shows. He's not a slave.
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1940 Posts

Profile of Platt
Whatever Criss does works. It's absolutely ruthless and low in every way imaginable but I've never had more people ask me about a particular magician. Whether you love him or hate him you can't look away. Harry, I like your vonnegut quote. Whether it's dispassionately supporting nazi propaganda or whatever it is Criss does on his show, at some point we are who we pretend to be.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
MAKMagic
View Profile
Special user
I got banned for one of my
555 Posts

Profile of MAKMagic
Here's the deal on Mr. Angel. He's a great performer with camera's. That's OK. I have no issue with that. He is another reason for the uprising in the mainstream public love of magic. I think He and Blaine have done us all a favor by bring magic into everyones lives everyday with their television shows. It makes them want to come see us when we perform places. It DOES make things difficult when people ask us to do the things that CA does on his show live for them at their party or at a restaurant, but oh well.

What bothers me is he is going to be critiquing other magicians, of whom don't have the benefit of the edit button and ear pieces and then inviting people to Debunk them. THAT pis$es me off.
.:Michael Kelley
<BR>www.RandomActsofEntertainment.com
On the Level, By the Square
Micheal Leath
View Profile
Inner circle
1049 Posts

Profile of Micheal Leath
I saw the commercial and it seems that this is being advertised as a show to find a "real" psychic performer. Is this correct or did I misunderstand?
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Hi Platt,
Actually, I like the quote on many levels. Some people believe the hype about themselves way too much, even if it is self stated. Some sales courses tell you to keep telling yourself how great you are.

The next line of the quote is, "So be careful what you pretend to be".

If we pretend to be magicians, or mentalist, etc. people will believe us. And some people will believe if some one pretends to be psychic.

As magicians, we lie for a living. But I am honest enough to tell you I am lying.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Platt
View Profile
Inner circle
New York
1940 Posts

Profile of Platt
Quote:
On 2007-10-11 23:27, nucinud wrote:
Hi Platt,
Actually, I like the quote on many levels. Some people believe the hype about themselves way too much, even if it is self stated. Some sales courses tell you to keep telling yourself how great you are.

The next line of the quote is, "So be careful what you pretend to be".

If we pretend to be magicians, or mentalist, etc. people will believe us. And some people will believe if some one pretends to be psychic.

As magicians, we lie for a living. But I am honest enough to tell you I am lying.

So true. I loved Mother Night. It was one of the first Vonnegut books I ever read. And the only book (so the author claims) where he knows the moral. He doesn't claim that it's a great moral. He just happens to know what it is. A very average Steve Martin film called Leap of Faith deals with this premise in a surprisingly enlightening way.
Sugar Rush is here! Freakishly visual magic. http://www.plattmagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » How low will Criss go? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL