The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Classics. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magicorik
View Profile
Loyal user
Italia
203 Posts

Profile of magicorik
Just received "The annotated magic of Slydini" because althougt many years in magic never had chance to buy it. What should I say: FANTASTIC!!!
I would like to point out that classics ara musts: they give you soo much!! And are much better than DVD's....
You have to think about that.
don't't be tempted by DVD's only but try to force yourself to read....you will be benefitted.
Just my 2 cents....
What are your favourite classics?
Peo Olsson
View Profile
Inner circle
Stockholm, Sweden
3260 Posts

Profile of Peo Olsson
Greater Magic, Stars of Magic, and The Dai Vernon Book of Magic.
Pictured to the left my hero and me during FISM 2006 in Stockholm.
drhackenbush
View Profile
Special user
686 Posts

Profile of drhackenbush
The Tarbell Course, Greater Magic, Close-up Card Magic, Rice Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, You Don't Have To Be Crazy But It Helps (Frances Ireland Marshall), Illusion Show (David Bamberg), Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, The Fitzkee Trilogy, Our Magic, Marvels of Mystery and Forging Ahead In Magic (John Booth) and a bunch more...
Chris K
View Profile
Inner circle
2545 Posts

Profile of Chris K
Amateur Magician's Handbook- Hay

13 Steps to Mentalism- Corinda

Art of Astonishment has to start being considered
Richard Evans
View Profile
Inner circle
1379 Posts

Profile of Richard Evans
Dai Vernon Book of Magic
Classic Secrets of Magic (Elliott)
Erdnase
Expert Card Technique
Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic
I have six locks on my door all in a row. When I go out, I only lock every other one. I figure no matter how long somebody stands there picking the locks, they are always locking three. Elayne Boosler
Steve Haynes
View Profile
Inner circle
Southeastern United States
1119 Posts

Profile of Steve Haynes
Quote:
On 2007-10-13 10:48, Richard Evans wrote:
Dai Vernon Book of Magic
Classic Secrets of Magic (Elliott)
Erdnase
Expert Card Technique
Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic

The classic secrets of magic (Elliott) was what got me into the real work, years ago.

The benson Bowl routine and the card section, along with Sach's dice routine just to name a few.

I studied that book until the cover came off.

Encyclopedia of Impromptu Magic is a giant tomb of pure impromptu magic with everything under the sun.

Nice choices Richard.

Steve
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
I agree that books are powerful but would also like to add that if you can watch a video/dvd of the same performer that would help you to appreciate what you are reading. To read about Slydini's effects and then to actually watch him perform those same effects is an amazing experience.
motown
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta by way of Detroit
6136 Posts

Profile of motown
-Kaplan's "Art of Magic"
-"The Card Magic of Paul LePaul
-Sharpe's "Neo Magic"
-"The Ramsey Classics"
"If you ever write anything about me after I'm gone, I will come back and haunt you."
– Karl Germain
sumit
View Profile
New user
77 Posts

Profile of sumit
Royal road to card magic, expert at the card table, complete works of derek dingle, classic magic of larry jennings

continue pls.
Ben Train
View Profile
Inner circle
Erdnase never had
4639 Posts

Profile of Ben Train
Greater Magic
Stars of Magic
Expert Card Technique
Strong Magic
Expert at the Card Table

Those are my top fives, for a variety of reason. First, there is a ton of variety (I'm a card guy, as you can tell from the choices, but between Stars of Magic and Greater Magic there is a wealth of non-card as well). Second, the books have some of the greatest material ever devised (honestly, with these five, I never need to buy another one... though that hasn't stopped me!). Third, if you master these books, you are a master. Simple as that. Performance theory, advanced card work, etc, you'll be a master. Finally, the sheer size of the collected work means you'll ALWAYS have something to explore (I haven't finished four of the five books on this list, and need to reread the one I did finish!)

All the best,
Ben
If you're reading this you're my favourite magician.

Check out www.TorontoMagicCompany.com for upcoming shows, and instagram.com/train.ben for god knows what!
Yehuda
View Profile
Elite user
413 Posts

Profile of Yehuda
Card College (Roberto Giobbi)

Expert Coin Magic (David Roth)

13 Steps to Mentalism (Tony Corinda)
David Tower
View Profile
Regular user
David Tower
124 Posts

Profile of David Tower
Tommy Wonder’s “Book of Wonder”
Darwin Ortiz’s “Strong Magic”
Henning Nelms’ “Magic and Showmanship”
“The Secret Ways of Al Baker”
“The Magic of Alan Wakeling”
“The Magic Menu” book 1 & 2
“Stars of Magic”
Mark Wilson’s “Complete Course in Magic”
“Roy Benson By Starlight”
David Tower
Donal Chayce
View Profile
Inner circle
1770 Posts

Profile of Donal Chayce
For me, "classic" means something has stood the test of time. With than in mind, here's my list:

"Classic Secrets of Magic" by Bruce Elliot
"The Tarbell Course in Magic" by Harlan Tarbell (& others)
"Stars of Magic"
"Our Magic" by Maskelyne & Devant
"The Encyclopedia of Silk Magic" by Harold Rice (& others)
"Routined Manipulation" (any or all in the series) by Lewis Ganson (& others)
"Rings in Your Fingers" by Dariel Fitzkee

Some newer books that I've read that I'm certain are destined to become classics:

"The Books of Wonder" by Tommy Wonder
"The Magic of Michael Ammar" by Michael Ammar
"Roy Benson by Starlight" by Roy Benson, Levent & Todd Karr
"Conjuring Anthology" by Jim Steinmeyer
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
3062 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
NOBODY NAMED THE ART OF ASTONISHMENT!
Learn more about my upcoming book of close up magic and theory SYNTHESIS & SECRETS: A Magic Book in Four Acts: https://www.michaelkrasworks.com/synthesis-secrets
Bedford
View Profile
Special user
Louisville, KY
675 Posts

Profile of Bedford
Tarbell Course
Modern Coin Magic - Bobo
Expert at the Card Table - Erdnase
Magic and Showmanship - Nelms
13 Steps to Mentalism - Corinda
Practical Mental Magic - Annemann
The Fitzke Trilogy
The Alchemy Moon Collective
Find us on Gemini Artifacts
Vlad_77
View Profile
Inner circle
The Netherlands
5829 Posts

Profile of Vlad_77
I agree with all of the above mentioned books in this thread. I would also like to make a pitch for classic PERIODICALS.

The Jinx, Sphinx, Phoenix, New Phoenix, The Gen, Pentagram, Wizard, Magic Wand, Stanyon's MAGIC, Swami/Mantra, Compleat Invocation, Hierophant, Kabbala, TOPS, Pallbearer's Review, Epilogue, Chronicles, Max Andrews Magic Magazine, Trapdoor, Apocalypse, Richard's Almanac, Pabular, Hugard's Magic Monthly, Stephen Tucker's Spellbinder, Bascom Jones MAGICK, SYZYGY, Magic Menu.

In addition, MUM and The Linking Ring should be included as well as Genii.

I am continually amazed at how many of these great periodicals are referenced in books - classic and "new". I own complete runs of all but one - Bascom Jones MAGICK which I am hoping that Collector's Workshop will reprint vols. 1,2,3 and 5. They have reprinted vol. 4.

Other great periodicals include Magigram, ABRA, and Lloyd Jones The Bat. I know I am forgetting some here. The point is that along with the classic books mentioned in this thread along with any or all of these periodicals would make for a fantastic working library.

Some here have mentioned The AoA series. I agree that these must be given "classic" consideration much the same as the mammoth Stewart James volumes.

I would even say Mike Close's Workers series deserves the same consideration as well as Harry Lorayne's huge body of work.

Best to all,

Vlad
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Classics. (0 Likes)
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL