The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Tail Coat (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Quote:
On 2007-10-17 13:12, montemagic wrote:
With a tailcoat you wear either a vest or cummerbun, both of which provide you with places for storing and ditching balls.

For the Classical look you would never wear a cummerbun to a tailcoat that's for a tuxedo jacket.
For loads goes you can have them under the vest, under the coat, behind the tails.
David Costi from Italy have made a video for Ron McMillan explaining his manipulationact wearing a Tailcoat, he also shows you the holders for the balles, coins, cards and tophat and where to put them.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
Thank you V. Magic , where can I get the David Costi's video about his manipulation act ?

Thanks
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
If you're getting your first tails custom made I wouldn't put too much in it. You're going to change it a lot if you're working out a routine, especially a ball routine. You don't want extra pockets and gaffs that you don't need, even profondés can flash.

You need two main adaptations to your tails if you're using them for manips (ignoring doves, that's a whole different ball game!). First where the tails come down from the jacket you want to move slightly forwards to prevent flashing of tail loads when your arms are lifted, also I stitched mine so they don't seperate as high up, they look like they do, but that stops holders sticking out inbetween. Second is extra fabric in the back, this is important for ball workers as if you've got 2" balls on your bum, and the jacket pulling in on your back, you look like you have a huge bum. So you want to stop the back pulling in and let the jacket hang from your shoulders. There is a third popular adjustment, and that is to make the tails a little longer than usual. Cardini (and later Fred Astaire) went against fashion to do this. Cardini because it covered the loads better (I believe...) and Astaire because he loved the swish as he danced.

Your rules on tail coats are that you should have 1" of white cuff showing and 1" of waistcoat along the bottom edge of the jacket. They should be worn with a white dress shirt, white backless waistcoat, white bowtie, matching trousers with ribbon, held up by white braces. And obviously polished black shoes and socks. That is the standard, or course all things can be altered for artistic/technical reasons.

As for your other pockets I'd suggest pinning them in for now, and dealing with them later. Take for example a profondé. If you use it to vanish a dove it has to be much bigger and lower than if your picking up a silk from it. Profondés are better for ditches than steals (due to the movement of the tails), but under a cloak it's fine.

To steal cards you can't stick them under a belt because you wont be wearing one, you'll need to invest in, or make, one of the various holders. Again pin this in place until you're getting booked specifically for the act as is, until then all things can, and most probably will change.

You can steal from every edge of fabric in tails, and people do. Recommended reading is Geoffrey Buckinghams "It's Easier Than You Think" If you can track down a copy of it, otherwise his DVD is a must have. One last thing, make sure you get evening tails and not morning...

Good Luck,
Paul
The Great Danton
View Profile
Elite user
Westfield, North Carolina, USA
449 Posts

Profile of The Great Danton
Aren't Morning Tails white?
"You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden; nor does anyone light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on the lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house."
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Usually a grey coat, and stripped trousers. They're most commonly seen at Weddings on the groom.
Paul
dahih beik
View Profile
Special user
palestine
817 Posts

Profile of dahih beik
I love to work with tailcoat I design mine the only issue at least for me is I start my dove act or my manipulation act and then have to change it to continue with the rest of my act . working with tailcoat is an art by itself it opens the doors for loadings and diching to name some useful resorces check out tony clark dvds , general grants work , and most of all shimada .. easeyer than you think 3 volumes are also a good resorce .
T.G Kenny
View Profile
Loyal user
Malaysia
243 Posts

Profile of T.G Kenny
What are the DVDs name again ? General Grants ? Easeyer Than You Think ?

Thanks
Vibono Magic
View Profile
Special user
Växjö,Sweden
647 Posts

Profile of Vibono Magic
Davide Costis Video can be found at International magic in London.
Vibono Mirage
Magic entertainer and Balloon artist
shestack
View Profile
New user
25 Posts

Profile of shestack
One thing everyone is forgetting to mention is...
if you are less than 5 ' 8" tall or weigh more than 165 lbs FORGET wearing tails as they will not be flattering to be seen in on stage .

The late Channing Pollock over 6 feet & always around 160 lbs used to have his cut for him by Master savil row tailors. he said then ran about $5800 .00 & this was back in the 50s

ss
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Tail Coat (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL