The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What size linking rings?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Sk8erBoi9305
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of Sk8erBoi9305
I'm brand new to linking rings, and I don't know what size to get. I'm 14, and have medium size hands if it's relavent. any tips??
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I'd get at least the 10 inch rings. They can be seen from a distance and you'll get used to them in no time.

Good luck. Mark.
Tony Thomas
View Profile
Inner circle
North Carolina
1248 Posts

Profile of Tony Thomas
I got my first set of rings this year. I mostly do magic for stage. I originally went looking for 12" but my local dealer only had the 10" in stainless. So, I bought the 10". They were available, and cheaper. Now that I have been using them for a while, and have done several shows, I couldn't be happier with the choice. Ten inch rings are plenty large enough for good stage visibility. I recommend 10". Have fun!
From the Encouraging Magic of...
Tony Thomas
www.magictonythomas.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
To me hand size has nothing to do with the size rings to use. However, weight may a factor for a smaller person. I do recommend using rings big enough to go over your head. Being able to temporarily get your hands free can broaden your possibilities for your routine.

The 10" size is very practical for stage but easy to pack.

Enjoy your ring magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
JasonB
View Profile
Regular user
174 Posts

Profile of JasonB
Bigger is often better with rings. Just because of the way that the ring is shaped it will look smaller than it is. Light will hit the ring & only really illuminate a thin strip of the ring. The bigger and thicker the ring the more of it will show up. Owen makes great rings, but they are an investment as they aren't cheap. But they are excellent. Like Bob Sanders said though, the hand size doesn't matter a ton. Just cover your key and fit it to your hand size if needed. Remember, one of the most important things about performing the rings is that it is "the magicial peneterating of solids" not secret linking and unlinking. That might seem obvious but it is often overlooked. Really great performers will often make the "effect" happen many seconds after the "move" has happened think a lot about that while you make your routine.

Best of luck,
WagsterMagic
View Profile
Special user
Myrtle Beach, SC
639 Posts

Profile of WagsterMagic
I recommend the 12" over any other side. They look great on stage and have a great ring to them.

Best
Brandon
The Wagsters: World Class Magic & Illusion
www.wagstermagic.com
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17161 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
It should depend more on the venue you perform in than your hand size. If you do parlor type or caberet type performance, the 10 inch work best in that venue. They can also be used on stage, but generally on stage the 12 inch rings work better. If you are just starting, get 10 inch and learn your moves and routines with those. Then if at some later date you start to do a lot of large stage shows, you can get a 12 inch set. Most brick and mortar magic shops carry the 10 inch but not the 12. I'd avoid the 8 inch, while they can be used in parlor situation, you will find the 10 inch easier to work with for doing a lot of the moves, especially making shapes and figures.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I use 10" Klamm rings. The thin stock makes some moves easier. I've tried rings with thicker stock, but they're hard to handle if the diameter isn't big enough.
Paulo Cabrita
View Profile
Special user
820 Posts

Profile of Paulo Cabrita
Ninja rings...

Paulo
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1732 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
I use an 8" chrome set (I believe they are Owens- circa 70's). They are perfect for parlor and small venues; however, I wish I had a larger set so I can hold the unused rings around my neck instead of in the crease of my arm...

You may want to think about this when making your final decision...

-Bryan
Terry Owens
View Profile
Inner circle
Ft. Wayne, Indiana
1707 Posts

Profile of Terry Owens
I use 10" but also have 12"...my preference is the 10" though.

Terry
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
Quote:
On 2007-10-16 21:03, Sk8erBoi9305 wrote:
I'm brand new to linking rings, and I don't know what size to get. I'm 14, and have medium size hands if it's relavent. any tips??

Start with the 10". When I was about your age I purchased a set of Rings and Things 10" rings. I still use them in every show! I now have a set of Owens 12" rings that I sometimes use.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Looks like 10" is the way to go. Mine are 10", and I'm very happy with them. Small enough to handle with relative ease, but large enough to see on a stage.

Jim
Kyle^Ravin
View Profile
Inner circle
I slammed my head against
1070 Posts

Profile of Kyle^Ravin
I've used 8 and 10 inch rings but I feel the best size would be 12 inch rings with a thick diameter. That way, the rings rings better and loog awesome!
magiccop1
View Profile
New user
Right Here
35 Posts

Profile of magiccop1
Ten inch is a good size to start with.
"The Enforcer"
"I'm not a Wizard. Are you Happy ? You should be."
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
The size of the rings depends on the number of rings in your final chain. If you are only 5 feet tall, and you use 12" rings, a chain of eight will not really be very practical. But if you are taller, it might look very good.

A 10 inch ring makes a lot more sense for most people. The diameter of the wire or tubing is of great importance. If you can get a set of Merv Taylor 10 inch rings, those are marvelous. Owen still makes them.

If you perform on stage, in situations where there is a spotlight, don't polish your rings. A polished ring in a spot light looks like two points of light. A ring with a matte finish looks like a ring.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Bill's point is a basic truth that gets overlooked too often. How big is the magician?

Arm span and height determine a lot about what props should be used. This is obviously true for rings and silks. But magicians tend to ignore it.

Size matters!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Christopher Lyle
View Profile
Inner circle
Dallas, Texas
5698 Posts

Profile of Christopher Lyle
I use the PROline 15" Rings. They are a work of art. In my opinion, these rings are far better than the Owens Rings and they are far less in price. For info on purchashing these rings, PM me.
In Mystery,

Christopher Lyle
Magician, Comic, Daredevil, and Balloon Twisting Genius
For a Good Time...CLICK HERE!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » What size linking rings?? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL