The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The Comic Magician's Pledge - Wanna Sign? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
We, the undersigned, do solemnly swear to remove all stock lines and unoriginal material from our acts.

From this day forth, we pledge to only use gags that are original or that we have the permission of the creator to use.

No more shall we say "No..the other left" or "And just put your credit card number underneath".

Signed....?
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
You bet I would sign it, I'd sign it Jack Benny, Henny Youngman, Milton Berle, Red Skelton, any name but mine.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
MoonRazor
View Profile
Special user
775 Posts

Profile of MoonRazor
Cold Turkey?
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20518 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
It is like having a band that doesn't play standards or greatest hits.

Yep! It would be funny.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- Do you plan to walk to the show?

I do agree that credit is due.
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
Another one here, who agrees in principle but quite can't put the pen to the paper. Sign it yourself,Nick, and I'll consider it.

George
wizardofsorts
View Profile
Special user
Chicago, IL
935 Posts

Profile of wizardofsorts
I only steal unoriginal lines.

Edd

PS- I have a dog that has no nose.

How does it smell?

Terrible.
Edd Fairman, Wizard of Sorts is a corporate magician available for your next trade show, hospitality suite, client luncheon, or company event. http://www.wizardofsorts.com
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
"My dog has no dictionary.
How does he spell ""terrible""
Tim Vine
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
I was wondering where my dog got his second nose...

Perhaps your dog bit off his nose to spite his face????

It is ruff to take a stock joke..(off the shelf) and change it....

Harris "Barking up the wrong tree of hearts" Deutsch
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
Have you Nicholas?

Even the big original acts throw in stock lines.

M:C
drkptrs1975
View Profile
Elite user
North Eastern PA
452 Posts

Profile of drkptrs1975
I'll sign it.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20537 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Should we remove phrases such as "Australia's Honest Con Man"? Is that original?

Should we remove strait jackets and pictures on our web sites that look like the poster from the movie Catch Me if You Can?

How far exactly do we take this new feeling of originality?

It is easy to throw stones and to point fingers, but maybe before complaining about everyone else not being original, you need to examine your own act a bit further.

Lets make a pact that the fire wallet is a hack trick and everyone does it so it is not original. As well as walking on broken glass.

Or maybe we should concentrate on entertaining an audinece. Or better yet just worry about making our act 100% original, before we look to hold others to such a silly standard.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20537 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Wow I guess nobody likes my addendum LOL.

Nicholas J. Johnson what say you? YOU were the one so upset about originality in the first place, certainly you know what I speak about!

Come on it should be easy as your act is obviously 100% original right?
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Rupert Bair
View Profile
Inner circle
?
2112 Posts

Profile of Rupert Bair
I pledge that I will take out the original kak I put in my act that gets no laughs and I'll stick to the bellyache's of hack lines.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
20537 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
A fine point Matt.

Here is my the thing I am trying to get across. It is easy to point fingers and say things like this and take the pledge nonsense. BUT when it comes to it the very guy posting seems to have a few pretty standard things in his act himself. So clean up your own backyard, then worry how the neighborhood looks.

Now if we want to talk not funny that is another thing. But I am tired of all the high horse riders here who are guilty of EXACTLY the same thing.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
harris
View Profile
Inner circle
Harris Deutsch
8695 Posts

Profile of harris
My act is two mints in one.(notice the borrowed reference to the commercial)

From my life comes references to "Everyman"..(a very old reference to the morality play)

With tongue somewhere near my cheek.

I take my work sewiously and myself lightly...
Step on the scale and say that..quipped Nigel the puppet that rocks, talks and pays the mortgage....

Harris "OCD except for cleaning" deutsch
A legend in his own mime, getting off his horse at Hy-Vee to get another token...
Hi Ho Joke righters Away....Cue the Loan Ranger Music....
Harris Deutsch aka dr laugh
drlaugh4u@gmail.com
music, magic and marvelous toys
http://magician.org/member/drlaugh4u
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Would a stock line by any other words would smell as sweet?

I promise, I will never use another stock line ever again in my entire life. So, now that I will be unemployed (Nicholas J. Johnson) , will you front me a few hundred for rent?

To use stock lines - or not to use stock lines, that is the question.
nathanallen
View Profile
Special user
Des Moines, Iowa, USA
522 Posts

Profile of nathanallen
It's a slow process... Taking that stock line and replacing it with original material.

But I believe we can all do it. It's tough, to venture outside that "safe hack box" and expose our own points of view. Could get silence. Could get more laughs than the line you were using. But look at the potential loss or return. I'd say that the value of having an original line that you know gets a laugh is infinitely greater than one new line not getting a laugh. Take the risk. Jump. It's fun!

P.S. Danny, I'm getting new pictures taken. The straitjackets have got to go, you're right.
Nathan Allen, The Maniac of Magic
www.maniacofmagic.com

To buy a prop is nothing.
To write a good routine is something.
To really entertain an audience is everything.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
If I come up with a show with ALL NEW gags, no breakaway wands (or breakaway anythings I guess), no standard dealer props, as none of that's original material. All from within my own head, nothing garnered or gained from anyone else.....
....then if a bunch of other entertainers steal my lines and tricks, will my show still be original? It might be THE original, but surely once dozens of other magi's are using MY gags, they're no longer truly original?
I prefer to think that there's so much comedy, and plenty enough to share. If you can make your audience laugh, that's all that really counts. So long as you don't blatantly steal someone's show and perform it on their doorstep!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
This is really easier said than done. On several occasions, I've heard other magicians/comedians use lines that I thought were original to me. Great minds think alike. Should I have taken them out? Should he? I think if you are using an old (obviously) hack/stock line, you should have a different spin on it. Anyone else buy this?
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
It all depends on YOUR delivery of the gags....I've heard some truly awful jokes get big laughs, because a skilled performer has the audience in the palm of their hands, and they'll laugh at pretty much anything. My opinion...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » The Comic Magician's Pledge - Wanna Sign? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL