The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Coming to New York City anytime soon? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
If so, I would love to take you on a tour by Bicycle...

I just started building a MySpace page, check it out and you can learn more about me, bicycling and riding in the city with me...

If you are a MySpace member, become a friend!

Thanks -

http://www.myspace.com/justinstylebicycling
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I might be going soon but since I'm afraid to drive in NYC I sure as heck am not going to bike it.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Fear Not, I'll be right there with you!!!
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
Cool...our blood can pool together....
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Santa
All automobile trafic is at a complete stand still there. Believe it or not you can catch a rickshaw ride in midtown Manhattan. I've never done it, because you also can buy a 24 hour subway pass for $7.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
If I go I'll be staying in the gay district, place they called The Queens. Can I take a subway from there to where the big buildings and all that are?
nucinud
View Profile
Inner circle
New York, New York
1298 Posts

Profile of nucinud
Quote:
On 2007-10-17 20:23, MagicSanta wrote:
If I go I'll be staying in the gay district, place they called The Queens. Can I take a subway from there to where the big buildings and all that are?

It is called Queens (it is not the gay district). I grew up there. It is attached to Brooklyn and Long Island. They have bridges and tunnels that will take you to Manhattan by car or subway. The Bronx (that is the only borough that has a "the" in front of it)is part of the mainland but connects to Manhattan and Queens via bridges. Staten Island is connected to Brooklyn via bridge and has a Ferry that goes to Manhattan.
I love New York, I have bicycled in Manhattan and lived.
"We are what we pretend to be" Kurt Vonnegut, jr.

Now U C It Now U Don't

Harry Mandel

www.mandelmagic.com
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that there is public transportation to every corner of all five boroughs. Queens is where Archie Bunker lived. There are no gay neighborhoods, nor are there any streight neighborhoods, in the big apple everyone lives together in harmony. Bill Clinton's office is in Harlem.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
So there are no areas where a large, shall I say, white man will have to worry about being oppressed by those that may not like large white men? That makes me warm and fuzzy....everyone in NYC together in harmony and love. I did get a PM from someone who told me that the village is where queens is so I guess I'll be there. I was also told I should try becca, not sure what that is but I know that Weck and beef is a sandwich and I'll eat anything. If anyone has any tips on where I should visit, and keep in mind this will be December, let me know. Thank you.
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
Bicycle tour of Manhattan? Hey, that sounds cool! Unfortunately, unless some rich benefactor finances my trip, I won't be traveling anytime soon.

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
I used to live in Manhattan. 30th St. for awhile, then up on 86th and later 92nd. With a quick stretch in Ridgewood, Queens somewhere in the middle. (Riding the LL to Manhattan every morning!) A box factory in that neighborhood burned down on day, all those poor roaches had to go somewhere! I think 90% decided to move into MY building! ("Indy, why does the floor... move?")
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
Bigger man then me Riding in New York. You guys are swifter then anyone ive ever seen. Im from Jersey but astonished on how you guys manuever through that traffic.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Santa
Little Italy is on Mulberry Street, Chinatown is on Canal street, there is a fabulous diner on 51st and Broadway where they have singing waitresses, and waiters, the discount broadway show outlet is at 41st and Broadway, Monday Night Magic is at 423 W. 46th street, and if you let Michael Chaut know you are a magician he will invite you to go out and eat with the performers after the show, Coney Island will be closed in December, the Rockets Christmas show requires advance tickets, there is a BBQ joint in mid town where magicians meet on Saturday afternoon, there are two magic shops in Manhattan, but a visit to Tannins will disappoint you. Be sure to get a 24 hour subway pass, or a 7 day pass, and the big apple will be your own personal aduly Disneyland. New Yorkers are very helpful and friendly to strangers, but you must stop them to get their attention, because they are all zoned out, there is a lot of busking in the subway system. There is lots of other stuff to do there, but you would need several trips to do more than that.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Quote:
On 2007-10-18 06:13, paisa23 wrote:
Bigger man then me Riding in New York. You guys are swifter then anyone ive ever seen. Im from Jersey but astonished on how you guys manuever through that traffic.

I'm from NJ too. I live on the Hudson. I (and 7 other guys in my bike club) have ridden from High Point to Cape May in ONE day - 240 miles - 17 hours, 14 MPH avg speed. When we got there, there was only the support crew in the van to meet us. No fan fare, no crowds. We checked into the B&B, then got up the next morning and rode back...in the van!

I can take you on a tour from the Jersey side of the Hudson…THAT’S WHERE THE BEST VIEW IS…just check out the photos on my My Space page.

New York is a great city, but I don't have to tell you that. I've been riding on those streets (and as a matter of fact, I just did a quick loop to Central Park and back, this morning) almost all my life and never had a problem. It's how you conduct yourself, sure things can happen but you try to avoid trouble and just enjoy the ride!

If your coming to town and just want to get the inside dirt from a "local" give me a shout, I can certainly help you navigate and get around.

I love NY!

I was even there (39th & 5th) that morning when those ****** Flew over my head and into the North Tower.

I would rather die on my bike while riding in NYC then being stuck somewhere where I am not happy. Know what I'm sayin'?

...don't fear the reaper.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Justin
I have had a disagreement with a fellow at this forum about constantly looking over his shoulder, because the boogie man might get him, and it is good to talk to someone who does not fear the unknown (a real New Yorker). My wife and I go to NYC several times a year, but we have never gone to that hole in the ground in lower Manhattan. I will be looking for you at MM III my friend.
Justin Style
View Profile
Inner circle
2010 Posts

Profile of Justin Style
Cool beans, AL! Just keep me posted as the date nears...

Thanks -
Margarette
View Profile
Special user
Memphis area
956 Posts

Profile of Margarette
I love Little Italy and Chinatown! My last trip, I had to bring back some of those Italian pastries! It's a good thing when I go to NYC I do a lot of walking....otherwise, they'd have to ship me back home on a FedEx cargo plane!

Margarette
The only stupid question is the one not asked.
MagicSanta
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern Nevada
5841 Posts

Profile of MagicSanta
I'll ponder NYC later, I'm off to see world class illusionist perform a ghost show...put that in your bike and smoke it.
elgranmago
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of elgranmago
I will be travelling to NYC this weekend and will stay for one week. My first visit back since 2000. I will never forget that one evening during that trip, among other things, I visited the "World´s Best Bar" atop one of the towers of the WTC. One year later, it was gone. How tragic.

I hope to make it to Tannen´s and Fantasma. Can´t wait.
"It´s kind of fun to do the impossible". Walt Disney
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2007-10-18 13:53, Al Angello wrote:
Justin
I have had a disagreement with a fellow at this forum about constantly looking over his shoulder, because the boogie man might get him, and it is good to talk to someone who does not fear the unknown (a real New Yorker). My wife and I go to NYC several times a year, but we have never gone to that hole in the ground in lower Manhattan. I will be looking for you at MM III my friend.

I'm reminded of a character in Terry Pratchett's Discworld series. Rincewind, the world's worst wizard and self-proclaimed coward. (Who never the less always seems to take the time to save the world before running away.) His motto is; "Never look back, it only slows you down."

I miss egg creams! My wife and I used to walk from 92nd street down through Midtown, and the Village into the Little Italy area for egg creams, then walk back. Saw some really great stuff! I miss those days.
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Coming to New York City anytime soon? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL