The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Illusion Designs Vol.2,3, and 4 - Opinions?? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Profile of Blair Marshall
Tilford in the current issue of MAGIC is advertising 3 volumes of an illusion book series (4 volumes).

What do they consist of, not clear of contents or size!! They are quite $$$.

If anyone has them or has seen them, I would like to hear a little more about them.

Thanks.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
I thought they were just "OK". The Rand Woodbury books were much more helpful to me. If these 3 volumes were put together in 1 volume for half the price I would have felt more like I got my money's worth.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Thanks Kendrix!!!

Have heard from others on private e-mail that these books ---------! You fill in the adjective.

I will wait for them to come up on e-bay from someone who is ----- that he bought them at that price and pick them up in the basement.

Too bad, as I have most other books on illusions (Fechner, Harbin, Rands' etc. etc.)

Thanks for the input!!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
5821 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Thanks for the heads up.

I was looking at them and it is nice to know to stay away from them because they are not worth the high price on them.
Dennis Michael
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
Although I don't have the books I understand that both Andre Kole and Don Wayne (two respected names in illusions) have written the forwards and sort of endorsed the books. They might be overpriced in some people's opinion, but I don't honestly feel Andre Kole would put his name on something unless it had some merit. Just my two cents worth.
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
MB: Check out the set. Your Andre Kole bubble may burst. I think he was just trying to be his usual kind self and be supportive.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Really appreciate the input and discussion. It is too bad when people try to jump on the bandwagon (ie. current interest in illusions). I paid $600.00 USD for the first Fechner set on illusions back quite a few years ago and felt it was money well spent (quality of production, material and thought that went into them!). I would pay whatever it would take, for Jim Steinmeyers' thoughts, ideas and plans.

But you have to draw the line somewhere, when thoughts (ideas?) are thrown together and "published" you have the option not to buy, I chose not to buy.

Just my thoughts, thanks again guys!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
Kendrix
View Profile
Loyal user
229 Posts

Profile of Kendrix
Blair: I agree the Christian Fechner set of books are worth the money. I think the Andrew Mayne "Illusion Book" is a must have as well as the Woodbury books. Milan Forzetting has an excellent book as well. I think it is called Paragons and Paradoxes or something like that.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Yep, I have the above, a little disappointed in the Mayne Book, a good compilation of ideas, but as I read through it I got a feeling it may be more a "collection" of ideas, if you know what I mean.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"

Should have mentioned that we ("ShaZzam!") have a Crystal Cube Illusion put together from one of the books above, girl is produced in an approx. 28" plexi cube. And like many of Steinmeyers" illusions, where the girl was, vanishes when she appears. It can be left in public view, and no one is the wiser on the method.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
danieljsum
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of danieljsum
"An interesting compilation of ideas" hummm.
But where is the real value? Why would anyone spend their good money on "ideas" that were not completely 1)thoughtout, 2) engineered, 3)performed and tested??? There is not a shortage of ideas. Everyone has "ideas". But to take that idea to its' fruition lies the real worth. It's like an author having a story idea for a book.. and publishes the idea rather than writing a novel.
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

To me "real value" may be that one good idea! And note, I say, "good" idea. I would agree that many books today are filled with half baked ideas. Throw an idea down, a couple of sketches and let the $$$$ come in.
Copperfield pays people to brainstorm ideas, when developing illusions. I consider a book of ideas in the same such vain.

Another notion might be, why make a film from a book, read the book and visualise the images. A book of ideas can start a train of thought, and who knows where it may lead. A picture completed, leaves nothing for the viewer to input.

Just a few musings on your posting.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
I am sorry to say that after reading the book from Mr. De Ruiter, I am very far from impressed, not even close to a smile in my face reading something interesting.

This set of books also has a poor quality editing job and they have printed each page on thin cardboard to compensate the lack of pages, they even print the pages only on one side !!! The products are not worth the price asked for...I was expecting more...

It's a chance I didn't pay for it, but my friend was the the one to cry when the bill of over 200$ canadians arrived...

This is my opinion, some may disagree...
But, I don't understand how those books receive such big name foreword...This is the best illusions of the 3 sets books..Smile

Go figure ???

Humbly...

Kuffs
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

Thanks Patrick for the additional input, will talk with you about them next time we see each other.

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"

P.S. If your friend considers selling in the future have him drop me a note. - B.M.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
I will ask him ..And let you know if ...

Take care

Kuffs

http://www.psychomagie.com
wisevamp
View Profile
New user
3 Posts

Profile of wisevamp
Just a question but did any of you actually talk with the author about them? To actually find the truth sometimes you need to go to the source.... From what I know he is in contact with both Andre and Don.... His website is illusiondsyn.com. Why not take your questions and concerns to him straight out? Smile
Blair Marshall
View Profile
Inner circle
Montreal, Canada
3661 Posts

What sort of questions would you ask??? I saw no details in the ads ie. size, number of pages etc. This tipped me off to pose the questions I have asked on this thread. The opinions I have read on this topic have been helpful, Would I like to add them to my library? Yes! Will I wait to see them first? Yes!. While I buy all kinds of magic books,I try to ensure that I have all that has been printed, and out, on illusions. I have several hundred books on illusions, illusionists and stage props. I have over 1000 plans in files, this includes over 350 Osborne plans, from publications and his individual ones.

But I am now starting to draw the line!!!! If I had bought the books, I would have addressed my concerns to the dealer and/or author if dissatisfied. I did this when Rand put out a tape which I felt did not deliver the goods, and he had traded on the name and reputation he had built. He got back to me and then discontinued the sale of the tape. Even offered a refund if desired. I declined.

Thanks for the suggestion though!!

Blair Marshall
"ShaZzam!"
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Maybe , I am wrong but my intuitions his tiggle me on somethings about these illusion books...But, don't ask me what, I will wait to see first...Sorry !!!

Kuffs

Blair, contact me by PM , I have an offer from my friend...

Read you soon..

Kuffs
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I finally bought a set of these books. As a builder I find I need to have copies of all books on illusions. There are a lot of pipe dreams in the books that aren't very good, but on the other hand he does have a few really decent illusions in the books.
I think Andrew should have culled the best illusions out of the 3 and made them into one book priced at say $75.00
Its a matter of finding the gems in barage of pipe dreams. I think Andrew Kole (like me) must have spotted the few gems. Are the books worth the price to find the few gems?
That's up to you. Consider you will pay $25.00 for a single Osborne plan (granted they are detailed blueprints) 8 Illusion plans from Osborne is going to cost you $200. You may or may not build the props.
Frankly I'd pay $200 for plans to a single illusion if it was something I would really use.
OK lets look at creative rights. Look how many inventors want anywhere from $500 to $5000 for performance rights on a single illusion. Andrew has given you a book of ideas with permission to build any for your own use. If you find just one major illusion you can use, I'd say the invest of $179 was well made. It's a lot cheaper than paying those high performance rights fees.
In all honesty I have read the books from cover to cover. True there is padding, and true there are some pipe dreams that would be near impossible to build (I'm a professional builder so I know). However I have found at least 3 or 4 clever ideas for illusions I do plan on building.
One thing that Don Wayne mentions. The books will spark you to think. I didn't always like some of the ideas in the book, but they did make me think. How could this be applied elsewhere?

Devin

Hank Lee is advertising a new book from Mark Parker.
It contains 7 Illusion plans. Unfortunetly the name of the book is also. ILLUSION DESIGN.

I can see Mass confusion here because of the identical titles.

The Parker Book sells for $120 and has color drawings/photos. Hank doesn't give much in details as to what the effects are.

I HAVE ordered the book today. When it arrives I will post a review of the contents since the ad gives you no idea of what illusion plans you get for the $120.00. I guess this should be a different thread, so when I get the book I will start a new thread reviewing it. Only mention it here because the title is the same.

Devin

One other thing, I think it would be a shame if the Mark Parker book gets confused with the other books by the same title.

Lets say Mark has a great book and it's worth the $120. Well a lot of people may have heard the bad reviews on the other books and assume its the same book.

A lot of magicians might not know the authors. All they may hear is that Illusion Design is a rip-off or something like that. That could kill sales for the Mark Parker book even if excellent.

I'll keep you posted.
kuffs
View Profile
Special user
791 Posts

Profile of kuffs
Magicbuilder, i am very curious about one things...What are the things in the book that you found interestings ???

And what are the illusions from the book, you have in mind to construct from this book...If you want to share of course !!!

And i agree that sometime only one ideas is enough to justify to price, but in the case sorry, nothings to say "food for thought"...

Read you soon

Kuffs
Devin Knight
View Profile
V.I.P.
2493 Posts

Profile of Devin Knight
I won't go into all of them, but a few things that have merit in my opinion.

The spin chamber where you put a girl in the chamber and spin, and spin, and spin, yet when she steps out she isn't dizzy. Anyone else from the audience falls over because they can't take it.

I can see this having great appeal, especially at an outdoor fair show. The magician could have himself spent around then walk a straight line, and offer say 100 dollars to anyone who could duplicate the feat. I see much comedy potential here.

Of course you'd have to have a person sign a legal disclaimer before taking a spin on contraption.

I also liked the idea of the magician attempting an escape and catching on fire, when the stage hands rush out and spray him to put out the fire the magicians disappears into the haze.

Although Andrew suggest having the magician appear in the audience, I'd like to see one of the stage hands trying to put the fire out turn out the be the magician.

The idea of the girl visibly vanishing via aid of a prism is excellent. I have tried this with a cigarette and small prism and the method works and has potential. OF COURSE THE PROBLEM is where do you find a 6ft prism but the application does have possibilites with the smaller prisms.

His one inch base is something I going to look into more. He is very vague but the idea has merit. I think this is probably one of the ideas that sparked the interest of the big names.

Of course most of the stuff he says about bases is good, but most of it has appeared in print elsewhere. He does a fine job of describing the black art tier base as used by myself, Chalet and other builders.

Just some of the things that sparked my interest.

Devin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » Illusion Designs Vol.2,3, and 4 - Opinions?? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL