The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Curtis on "MANswers" (Oct. 17, 2007) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Moxahalla
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
751 Posts

Profile of Moxahalla
Congrats to Curtis being on Spike-TV's "MANswers" last night (American national cable-tv series)!

The segment was on how to escape from handcuffs.

Curtis did a neat 'behind-the-back' full-view slipping out of the cuffs--to demonstrate the apparent ease it is to escape - when the cuffs aren't on too tight. No real 'exposure' there.

Curtis did demonstrate actual 'shimming'...but he wisely led viewers to think that a 'pocket clip' on a pen would act as a shim. Again, sort of an exposure - but any attempt by a viewer to use a pen-clip would just lead to failure.

Lastly, a security guard company owner - revealed to the viewers that most all modern handcuffs all open with the SAME key. Perhaps THIS was the worst information that could have been revealed to the public.

Good job, Curtis.
Doc Allgood
View Profile
Regular user
Houston, TX
156 Posts

Profile of Doc Allgood
BREAK OUT OF YOUR HANDCUFFS - Magician explains the secret on SPIKE TV this Wednesday (Oct 17, 2007)
Released on: October 15, 2007, 1:44 am

Press Release Author: Magic of Curtis INC

Industry: Entertainment

Press Release Summary: LOS ANGELES (Oct. 13, 2007)– Magician and Escape Artist
Curtis Eugene Lovell II will divulge a few secrets, specifically his tips on
escaping from handcuffs, during Spike TV\'s Manswers at 11 p.m. on Oct. 17.

Press Release Body: \"I can give you three easy and effective ways to escape from
\'cuffs -- for the next time you find yourself in a pair,\" Lovell said. \"You wouldn\'t
believe how handy it is to know.\"

Curtis Eugene Lovell II is an international escape artist and illusionist. He cut
Paris Hilton in half for her television show The Simple Life, and he publicly
challenged David Blaine and noted psychic John Edward to magic duels. Lovell most
recently appeared on the USA network Road Characters, where he presented his Cube of
Death – an effect similar to the feat Houdini once performed.

In addition to scheduled performances in New York City next month, his team
is negotiating with the City of Long Beach and the Queen Mary to perform a
death-defying stunt involving the ship, water, a helicopter and a unique element
that as yet cannot be disclosed.

Earlier this year, Lovell released his instructional DVD, POOF! You\'re a magician
Learn magic with everyday objects, which can be found at online retailers including
Amazon.com, Target.com and Overstock.com.

Lovell was raised in Columbus, Ohio, where he attended Columbus Public Schools and
Columbus State College. He now resides in Long Beach, California.

####
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Thank you for the post guys.... I am working on trying to get this on youtube in the next week or so....
Also, my website is updated, if you would like to check it out... (still under construction a bit) Smile

Cheers...

-C
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
Quote:

Curtis did demonstrate actual 'shimming'...but he wisely led viewers to think that a 'pocket clip' on a pen would act as a shim. Again, sort of an exposure - but any attempt by a viewer to use a pen-clip would just lead to failure.

I have used a pen clip for years and it certainly doesn't lead to failure. As far as I know, I was the only one to use the "pocket clip" on a pen. In fact I posted this as a method of shimming here a while ago, (last March.) If Curtis discovered that method on his own, then Kudos to him. But if he didn't and was exposing the method that I shared with you all, then shame on him and I guess I'll never post another tip again.

-- Ace
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
[/quote]

I have used a pen clip for years and it certainly doesn't lead to failure. As far as I know, I was the only one to use the "pocket clip" on a pen. In fact I posted this as a method of shimming here a while ago, (last March.) If Curtis discovered that method on his own, then Kudos to him. But if he didn't and was exposing the method that I shared with you all, then shame on him and I guess I'll never post another tip again.

-- Ace
[/quote]

Ace, I filmed the show Jan of 2007 so a step ahead of you Smile .... I actually got the idea last minute when they wanted me to use everyday objects, so I thought of a pen, and I also used a paperclip which they did not show... Smile I also used bridge jumper cuffs.... WINK
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
After many request, I finally got the SPIKE-TV Manswers television appearance on You Tube...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=TahycrONQUA

Enjoy....
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
*** you looked fine in that bikini!
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
Quote:
On 2007-10-23 00:18, magicofCurtis wrote:

Ace, I filmed the show Jan of 2007 so a step ahead of you Smile .... I actually got the idea last minute when they wanted me to use everyday objects, so I thought of a pen, and I also used a paperclip which they did not show... Smile I also used bridge jumper cuffs.... WINK

Well, as I said, kudos then. I'm glad that you came up with the idea on your own. Of course great minds often do. And just to let you know I started using a pen clip back in the 1970's. I just never told anyone before. (Yes everyone I'm that old.) Anyway I certainly enjoyed the video. Congrats on a fine job.

Ace
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Ace,
I am glad you enjoyed the video... Often we come up with similar ideas, someday I might share how I demonstrate how I visually slip out of handcuffs that has a cool twist....

Until then...
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
[/quote]
And just to let you know I started using a pen clip back in the 1970's. I just never told anyone before. (Yes everyone I'm that old.)
Ace
[/quote]

Bog off! I was born in 1975 - don't make me "that old" ok I didn't come up with shimming a pair of handcffs with a pen clip before my 5th birthday BUT I think you may have been a bit older in 1975 - may be 6 or 7? am I right? Smile

Dave
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
You're a just little bit off, Dave. But I appreciate the guess. I'll let you do the math. I graduated from high school when you were 1. That same year I bought my first pair of handcuffs. I didn't get out of a strait jacket until you were 6. So truth is I turn 50 next year. (Okay, now I have to kill ya.)

-- Ace
magicofCurtis
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
2545 Posts

Profile of magicofCurtis
Ace,,, you are old enough to be my DAD!!!
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3006 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
So am I (50; 51 next April 1)
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
Quote:
On 2007-11-11 20:31, magicofCurtis wrote:
Ace,,, you are old enough to be my DAD!!!

And you're young enough to be my SON!!! OH MY $#@!

I don't have any kids, (that I know of) but I won't throw rocks in a school yard either.

-- Ace
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Police were advised to remove pens and pen clips in the mid to late 60s (from detainees) because people could use the clip to escape. Those were the days when the clip was a removable piece of metal. Most EAs carried that sort of pen with them as a back up, in addition to hiding picks somewhere in their clothing, belt, shoes or other spot.

Many EAs used all the spots every time they went out of the house because people would sometimes try to slap a pair of cuffs on you. It wasn't uncommen for people to accost EAs back then. Today people are afraid of law suits so they are less likely to surprise you with a challenge.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9498 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
And Ace... you're not getting older, just smarter.

It's the rest of us getting older.... either that or my bones are getting a nice patina from the inside out.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Curtis on "MANswers" (Oct. 17, 2007) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL