The Magic Caf
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magicians Insurance (Not the trick, actual insurance) (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Burt Yaroch
View Profile
Inner circle
1097 Posts

Profile of Burt Yaroch
Asmayly mentioned something in another thread that got me thinking (I know, there's a first. Very funny.)

Do magicians have to carry some kind of performing insurance?

In the event someone gets hurt in the performance of your act (tripping on stage, burned by fire, you actually saw someone in half) how are you protected?

Does the neccessity for insurance extend to all performing venues (street for example)?

And what about for the magician himself/herself? If you are injured in someones home do you have insurance for that, or is this something that is stipulated in your contract? What about with larger venues?

"Whats your record for consecutive questions asked?"


"I'm your dads brother all right."

"You have much more hair in your nose than my dad."

"How nice of you to notice."

"I'm a kid, that's my job." Smile
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Here in the UK, public liabilty insurance is not compulsory for Magicians. However, I think it is wise to have it, most UK liabilty companys say 1 million pounds (minimum cover)
2 million pounds (recomended cover) it is just a case of peace of mind
View Profile
Special user
Nassau Bay, TX
533 Posts

Profile of RayBanks
I don't think liability insurance would be very expensive and I think at least IBM has an insurance plan for members.

If you don't use assistants, don't use fire, don't use things that could mess up the floor, don't give away items, don't use or give away latex balloons, etc. you probably don't need insurance.

Other than that it would probably be a good idea.

I am not an insurance agent. Please don't call me for a policy. Smile Smile
Pick a card, any card...No. not THAT one...THIS one

Ray Banks
View Profile
Special user
Los Angeles
562 Posts

Profile of martinkaplan
Ray is correct in that the members of the IBM can purchase a liability policy through Hampson Mowrer Kreitz Insurance in the amount of 1 million dollars per occurence. The cost is quite reasonable. If you do any effect with a borrowed ring, it probably would be a good idea to have some kind of insurance coverage.

View Profile
New user
Randy Shaw
73 Posts

Profile of majorshaw
You always have extra cards. SAM also has a good $1,000,000.00 policy at a good rate.

AIMC with Silver Star

AIMC with Silver Star
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn

"Buck Melonoma, Molley Russell's wart!"

Both the SAM and IBM offer insurance policies. I don't do any danger effects myself, nor do I give away balloons or anything that could be harmful. My personal health insurance covers me, and the hotels and other venues where I perform cover liability insurance should someone trip on their stairs, etc. So while these policies are available at a moderate price, I don't bother with them.

In 24 years of performing (professionally and as an amateur), I've never needed them. If an environment is unsafe, I simply won't perform there until it is corrected.

For example, I was performing at a hotel on a riser,and the stairs were a bit shaky. I asked the maintenance man to fix them or replace them. He couldn't. In this case, I simply had to do the show anyway, but instead of asking people on stage, I went out into the crowd when I needed an audience assistant. If someone HAD fallen on those stairs, the hotel would have been liable, however, I imagine a case could have been made against me as well for asking them to come up.

I'm not saying you don't need this insurance or that it's a bad idea. I'm just saying that I've been able to get along without it.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
Geoff Williams
View Profile
Special user
St. Pete Beach, FL
617 Posts

Profile of Geoff Williams
I have the Hampson Mowrer Kreitz policy through the I.B.M. and, although I never intend to use it, it sure is a PLUS when I'm selling myself on corporate clients (especially in trade show situations).

It's a nice professional touch that only costs $78/year (until such time that my income leaps into the next category).

Actually, when I worked a theme park gig last year, they requested a photocopy of my insurance before the contract could be finalized. It sure was nice to show them I had been proactive in obtaining it.
"Saját légpárnás tele van angolnák."

(Hungarian for "My hovercraft is full of eels")
View Profile
Inner circle
Milford Haven. Pembrokeshire wales U.K.
2642 Posts

Profile of p.b.jones
Over here in the UK more and more local authorities will not allow you to work for them if you do not have liability coverage
Sir T
View Profile
Special user
535 Posts

Profile of Sir T
This subject of insurance comes up a lot, for those of us who do ballooning. On the subject of insurance, better to have it and not need it, then to need it and not have it!

I spend a hugh amount of time with children of all ages and no matter how many times you warn them of the dangers, of balloons,
"There is always one or two, who will put it in their mouth" Insurance is cheap, when you consider the cost of a lawsuit.

Also, I was asked recently to do a wedding, to keep the children busy. The second question out of the box was, "You will need insurance to perform at the hall." Some places require you to have some kind of insurance, if you are going to work.

Just my two cents worth.

Jeb Sherrill
View Profile
Inner circle
1161 Posts

Profile of Jeb Sherrill
I've never used any kind of insurance, but my fiancee carries it when she goes ballooning. I have considered it though. I just wish it covered fire, as I do perform blasting and fire eating sometimes.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
I don't believe in reincarnation, but I may have in another life.
View Profile
Loyal user
206 Posts

Profile of Saydean
This caught my eye so I thought I'd respond. I have a large show and carry a One million dollar liability policy, a five million dollar accidental injury rider, and workmans comp as well as the standard health, dental and disability coverage all to the tune of 3,600.00 per year.
But friends in Vegas tell me I'm getting off cheap as some of their similar insurance set ups run around triple that. The cost of doing bussiness. I also have been told that should something occur my rates could be up to five times what I pay now, IF they don't cancel your policy for filing a claim.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Magicians Insurance (Not the trick, actual insurance) (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL