We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Cleaning a strait jacket (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
My sj (posey canvas jacket) is getting way too dirty from rolling around on bar stages also a pen exploaded in my bag and got on it... point is it needs a cleaning. I'm not sure exactly how I should go about it, would it be safe to just do it in a washing machine, or should I enjoy the awkwardness of taking it to a dry cleaner?

Anyone have experience with this, I can not afford to ruin this jacket by having it cleaned.
Steve_Mollett
View Profile
Inner circle
Eh, so I've made
3010 Posts

Profile of Steve_Mollett
If you use the washer, roll the sleeves up and bind them some way to keep them from filling with water. The water-filled sleeves will create a load imbalance.

I'm assuming this is a standard Posey (no leather straps, etc.)

With leather/part-leather jackets, washing of any kind (including dry cleaning) can weaken the leather.
Author of: GARROTE ESCAPES
The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth.
- Albert Camus
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
Thanks for your quick reply.
Right, this is a standard jacket with no leather. The sleeves are the dirtiest part; If I roll them sleeves, wont they remain dirty? And there is no big danger of shrinking or other damage? Would you recommend I take it to the dry cleaners, or is that not necessary?

thanks again
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5110 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
I always fasten the buckles, for cleaning. You can use bleach, as well as your favorite detergent. Dry cleaning isn't necessary.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
KerryJK
View Profile
Special user
Northampton UK
621 Posts

Profile of KerryJK
My posey is perfectly happy with a regular 40 degree wash with detergent, though I wouldn't try tumble drying it (no need anyway, canvas drip dries in no time). I tend to fasten socks over the buckles, but this is more to protect the washing machine than the jacket.
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
HelenHeld... well I'll be ***ed, years ago I used to read your short stories online.

So no other candidates for rolling the sleeves then? I like harley's idea of fastening everything, I'll probably do that, run the warm cycle and maybe tie a sock around the buckles so the laundromat owner does freak about the clanking noise. Thanks for the advice I'll let you know how it goes.
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
My wife washed one of mine a few years ago. Definitely avoid the tumble drier. Smile

James.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
This is a great oppertunity to use fabric softner....... IF....... you want the jacket to be softer.
You may need to run it through the rinse cycle twice.

I use the dryer only until the jacket is damp- reason- sometimes the high heat will permenantly leave residuial dirt in the fabric- once the jacket is damp it goes on the clothsline.

Do NOT use bleach. It may weaken the fabric. You can use a bleach substitude.

jay
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
With due respect to Harley and anyone else using bleach, bleach is a strong chemical that can be substituted with a safer product. Too much bleach and your jacket can be torn to shreads. Don't ask. Ok ask. I put too much bleach on one jacket and during the following show a spectator ripped it open like the "Hulk".... Needless to say, I was not able to use that jacket again and I apologize for any inconvience.
MagicJared
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of MagicJared
James, why do you say to avoid the tumble dryer? In any case I'm thinking of just letting it drip dry entirely like helen suggested

Jay, great tips - thank you. Weakening the jacket is one of my biggest concerns (yes, I still havent cleaned it yet) and that mental image of yours ripping is going to haunt me.. how did you continue on with the stunt, did you have to end it there?
Russell_LA
View Profile
Regular user
Van Nuys, CA
101 Posts

Profile of Russell_LA
Canvas does dry fairly quickly, but if you really need to get the jacket dry a bit faster, try draping it over something... a stool or short step ladder will work. Then, put a fan underneath it.

Wow, these are handy tips you'll never learn from Martha Stewart... ;-)
"You cannot kill the boogeyman."
- Halloween
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
My wife put my jacket in the tumble dryer, and it got ruined (shrunk ... 70% of original size, and all crumpled up).

Not sure why ... perhaps our tumble dryer runs hotter than some. But it was an expensive mistake.

James.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9495 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Was your jacket a Chinese Knock off, by chance?
James Peters
View Profile
Veteran user
Romford, UK
385 Posts

Profile of James Peters
Nope. It was an original Posey ... ! I got it from an extremely reputable source in the USA. Smile
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
What brand of detergent/fabric softener does one use. I have a white canvas hood that I need to get cleaned.
Michael K
View Profile
Loyal user
Hazleton, PA
251 Posts

Profile of Michael K
I've found that "Simple Green" works well. I'm pretty sure that I used some when I washed my Humane Restraints jacket and it didn't have any problems.

Just remember the Hints from Heloise warning "Test in an inconspicuous spot first."

Thanks for all the tips.

Michael
Professor Ackult
(Please say hello if you are coming to the Sideshow Gathering this weekend)
Starry
View Profile
Loyal user
New York
219 Posts

Profile of Starry
I have a Posey that I had for years and used it on the street. I just put on the stain stick stuff on the bad spots, put it in with a regular load of whites (towels, socks, unders, etc.) with hot water and bleach. I was amazed at how good it looked for a day or two. I've even just thrown it in the dryer with the other clothes. Pull the arm straps inside out to keep the arm buckles from hitting the sides of the dryer. The other buckles I didn't worry about. Yes it was a little noisy but no worse than my tennis shoes. The bleach does eventually weaken the fabric, but a little fabric softener makes the jacket nice and soft after a few washes.

-- Ace
Ace Starry - Author or THE MAGIC LIFE - A NOVEL PHILOSOPHY
http://www.starry.com/
Ms. Morgan
View Profile
Veteran user
The Garden State
399 Posts

Profile of Ms. Morgan
I agree, you will be find, just toss it in the washer. However, I'd use cold water, that's the best way to avoid any thing happening. Woolite will work very well to clean it. If you want to dry it a bit faster lay it ON TOP of your dryer then turn the dryer on, turn the jacket over and do it again. The jacket will get very wrinkled in the wash. It's safe to put it in the dryer AFTER it's dry, low heat with a damp towel for a bit to take the wrinkles out.
Be very careful with Bleach, it can turn some whites yellow, canvas is very bad about this. Use a color safe bleach, it will help remove the stains and brighten the jacket.

Good Luck,
Morgan
World Magic Award's "Escape Artist of the Year"
www.EscapeChick.com
www.illusionbiz.com
www.WackyDracky.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All tied up! » » Cleaning a strait jacket (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL