The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » 2007 funniest tricks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
2007 is almost up. Which comedy tricks are leading to be the funniest so far?
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I guess it all depends upon who's performing them. The first time I saw Professor Cheer's Comedy Rope Trick, the audience almost split a gut laughing. When I tried to do it, I had to pass out NoDoze just to keep the audience awake.
jay leslie
View Profile
V.I.P.
Southern California
9497 Posts

Profile of jay leslie
Foo can
card stab
rope tie
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2610 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Jakeg... I've seen that rope routine about 4 or 5 times performed by different people and I've only ever seen it crash and burn. In fact that is too interesting a description of what I've seen it's bought the audience to a numbing grinding halt. As a consequence I find it difficult to even imagine it being funny.

But I'm sure there's someone out there getting belly laughs with it.

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
Jakeg, yes performing them is important, but I'm just speaking in general.

My funniest two so far for this year is Comedy Card Babies and Fiber Optic.
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
Dunamike - The problem is that, even general, in is dangerous to assign funniness to tricks rather than people

For example, the funniest magic tricks I have seen this year were Ray Crowe's zombie routine, Bloom performer intercessor and a dove production act that was, sadly, not supposed to be funny.

Each of these had me wetting my pants in laughter, not because of the trick, but because of the performer.
magicgeorge
View Profile
Inner circle
Belfast
4299 Posts

Profile of magicgeorge
I'm afraid I'm another one who has to go off topic to answer and agree with the above. The trouble with comedy tricks is the more comedy in the effect the less the performer has to put in so the funniest tricks tend to be the ones with the least comedy potential as all the comedy then has to come from the performer.

George
NJJ
View Profile
Inner circle
6439 Posts

Profile of NJJ
That said, I am very impressed with the work of Paul Romhany (Big Ten, Bearly Impossible etc. ). He is obviously a very creative, funny entertainer. It's just a pity that 99% of people who attempt the routines he has for sale will not do them justice.
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17198 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Mac King's Cloak of Invisibility still slays me, even after seeing it more than a dozen times.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Dan Paulus
View Profile
Veteran user
Utah is isolated from the real world by
343 Posts

Profile of Dan Paulus
Quote:
On 2007-10-21 21:16, photius wrote:
Mac King's Cloak of Invisibility still slays me, even after seeing it more than a dozen times.

Gotta second that one! Saw the Vegas show a couple months ago, Mac King rules.
There is no great genius without a mixture of madness. - Aristotle
Aristotle

www.danscomedymagic.com
honus
View Profile
Veteran user
354 Posts

Profile of honus
A third for Mac and his Cloak. I saw it . . . what, three-four years ago? And I'm still laughing.
parmenion
View Profile
Inner circle
Switzerland/Zürich
3992 Posts

Profile of parmenion
Yes, I agree too
Funny trick means nothing, the performer is funny not the trick.
Fiber optic for me is not funny, incredible yes but not funny.
I think it's easy in magic to have laugh, because astonishement does that.
Lot of magician think " wow I'm a funny guy, people laugh when I perform"
Sadly lot of magician are not funny at all.
try to be funny without magic and you'll be quickly fixed Smile
“I love talking about nothing. It is the only thing I know anything about.”
<BR>Oscar Wilde experimentaliste <br>
<BR>Artist pickpocket Professional
<BR>
<BR>Looking for the best book test in French? send me a PM!
suspectacts
View Profile
Elite user
Boston
493 Posts

Profile of suspectacts
Hey folks, forgot all this side talk. I am still waiting for someone to list the two thousands and seven funniest tricks. My vote is for Cubio as number 1454 and anything performered by Chris Angel as #1 (unintentionally).
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4624 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Although Professor Cheers Comedy Rope Trick is a very, very old routine (originally called "Rope Springs Eternal"), so I don't see how it can be "comedy trick of 2007", it astonishes me that anyone can do this routine and NOT get heaps of laughs! It's one of the funniest bits of business to finish off any rope routine. What did these performers do with the routine to bring the audience to a numbing grinding halt?
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4624 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
The funniest trick of the year has to be the Cellulator, just out from wolf's Magic! Burn a kid's cellphone, priceless...
Sealegs
View Profile
Inner circle
The UK, Portsmouth
2610 Posts

Profile of Sealegs
Quote:
On 2007-10-28 01:08, Potty the Pirate wrote:
Professor Cheers Comedy Rope Trick .....it astonishes me that anyone can do this routine and NOT get heaps of laughs! It's one of the funniest bits of business to finish off any rope routine. What did these performers do with the routine to bring the audience to a numbing grinding halt?

I assume these different performers chose this routine using the same thought process that could be ascribed to the initiation of this thread. ie; They thought it was a 'funny trick/routine' which meant that they either couldn't see any need on their part to add their own contribution to it (other than doing the moves), or assumed that the audience would find it so intrinsically funny that any embarrassing histrionics on their part would do.

As magicgeorge said " The trouble with comedy tricks is the more comedy [built into] the effect the less the performer has to put in..."

Neal
Neal Austin

"The golden rule is that there are no golden rules." G.B. Shaw
Mike Brezler
View Profile
Inner circle
Waynesboro, Pa.
1114 Posts

Profile of Mike Brezler
My vote also goes to the Cellulator by Wolf's Magic!
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
Check out the "Magic Lesson" in the new book/dvd Kingdom of the Red. A complete comedy routine which is similar in concept to the Vanishing Bandana. In this there is much more magic done and two great climaxes occur at the end. The main props are sponge balls and a hank box.

David
Cody Comet
View Profile
Loyal user
Louisville, KY
201 Posts

Profile of Cody Comet
I like Steve Bargatze's stage routines a lot. I've seen them millions of times, more recently at the 07 Unconventional Convention, but I still end up in stitches every time. And he's a very nice guy, since after this weekend, he's sort of taken me under his wing, making me realize that comedy and kids magic was the direction in which my magic was going after seeing me preform at the convention. While I'm talking about him, does anyone know his contact info, since he told me to send him a tape of my birthday party act he wanted me to develop, so he can further critique it.
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
On the topic of Steven Bargatze, I've only met him once and he did a card trick that had me in tears it was so funny. I believe it's called This or That. It's full of "Who's on first" kind of humor. The funnies magic performance I've seen in the last year was John Carney's Mr. Mysto act. Baking a cake in a show had the audience in stitches.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Now that’s funny! » » 2007 funniest tricks (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2023 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL