The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Pro hot Rod (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Killobees
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of Killobees
I'm wondering what others think about this trick. I heard you can do other tricks with this item? Is it good?
Turk
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, OR
3545 Posts

Profile of Turk
killobees,

I too have wondered about this product. I'm just wondering if an additional color change is more for the benefit of magicians (who are "in the know") and not for the benefit of the lay audience (to whom a single color change, if properly presented, is magical enough).

Also, I'm no certain I want a brass hot rod or whether I want to pay $25.00 for it.

I'll keep an open mind, but, in the meantime, thare are a lot of books and other effects that will first get the nod for my hard earned money.

Turk
Magic is a vanishing Art.

This must not be Kansas anymore, Toto.

Eschew obfuscation.
Donnay
View Profile
New user
N. Ireland
49 Posts

Profile of Donnay
Again like most tricks it's only as good as your presentation. so if you are capable of making it look better than the actual effect then it's worth it.
lkdip
View Profile
New user
6 Posts

Profile of lkdip
I think that if you have a complete routine set up, including vanishes transpos and such along with the main color change you will be fine with just a $4-7 hot rod. You got to learn more than just the basic color change or your going to look is dumb when the spec wants to examine it. If it has vanished then where did it go is the last thing on their minds, not how does it work. Smile
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
I also doubt the added value for cost of the Pro Hot Rod. I haven't used mine for a while, but I never showed the standard end of the trick where the whole thing turns one color. Without going into exposure, I also had the same feeling about the color changing knives. I never showed the "gimmick" to the spectator. Bang, it changed color, and that was it. I know Daryl takes it further in his routine showing the gimmick, and has a neat idea of having a thumb print on one of the gimmicks. I was never that comfortable showing the spectator what I thought would be too easy to figure out.

Got slightly off topic, sorry. Bottom line, I think the inexpensive version will suit most people fine.
Lee Marelli
View Profile
Special user
Aurora, Colorado
876 Posts

Profile of Lee Marelli
Having had some experience in purchasing effects, here is a good set of questions to ask yourself when deciding whether you want procure an effect (They are not necessarity in order of importance).
1. Is the improvement in the effect
really worth the cost?
2. Can I do the same thing with what
I already have?
3. Was it really designed for the
working magicians or for the
collector?
4. Do I have a place for it in my
act or do I just want to know the
secret?
5. Do I want to dispose of my
disposable income to buy it? Smile

If you honestly answer the questions, It will help you spend your money for effects that can further your act, rather than gather dust in a drawer until the next flea market. Oh yes, one more question, Should I wait and buy it at my magic club's flea market? Smile
"Mentalism is a state of mind." Marelli
flipped
View Profile
Regular user
111 Posts

Profile of flipped
The reaction i got from this trick werent great.
marko
View Profile
Inner circle
2110 Posts

Profile of marko
Seems like most people here are 'ANTI Hot Rod'

yuck, yuck, yuck Smile
Thought: Why does man kill? He kills for food. And not only food: frequently there must be a beverage.
AlexWong
View Profile
Veteran user
371 Posts

Profile of AlexWong
I'm having problems with the starting presentation. The way provided in the booklet for selection doesn't seem too convincing - sometimes even confusing.

Thanks.
cegarcia
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cegarcia
There was a thread about the Hot Rod a while back. Try a search for "Hot Rod Examination". It might help with your purchasing decision.
eXcelon969
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of eXcelon969
Check http://www.watchmagic.com for a video of this trick done by Ozer4 here on the Café.

Should be helpful

Brent
What you fiendin fo? www.watchmagic.com
cegarcia
View Profile
New user
39 Posts

Profile of cegarcia
Ebay usually has them for auction. Keep checking regularly. Got mine last month for $13.00. BEWARE They are brass BUT the dots are painted, they are NOT gems!
Anthatron
View Profile
New user
55 Posts

Profile of Anthatron
Killobees
This is only my opinion but I am not nuts about the Pro Hot Rod. For some reason many magicians don't really seem to care for the Hot Rod effect. I do. I saw it once and loved it. Maybe it is the way it was performed for me the first time because the visual change was pure magic.
Soon after I got one I realized the limitation of it always being the same color. People catch on quick. To solve that problem I bought three cheapo clear plastic gem hot rods. I created a whole routine where I can do the effect, make a switch, do a different effect, let the spectator examine it, and lastly switch and do another effect. I can virtually go on for a half and hour doing different effects with these three hot rods.
Later in a magic store I saw the Pro Hot Rod and liked the idea, but I already had a whole plan for ten dollars less and three color changes.

One more fun thing for anyone that has a hot rod. When they tell you their number and you show them which gem they have selected make note of it. Then ask them if that color is significant to them in any way (like birthstone, favorite color, car color, etc) It almost always comes up as someone's birthstone which adds a great deal of impact to the effect.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Pro hot Rod (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL