The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Stop The Presses! by Dustin Baker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
michaelmystic2003
View Profile
Inner circle
2906 Posts

Profile of michaelmystic2003
STOP THE PRESSES! BY DUSTIN BAKER

Effect: A totally impromptu mentalism effect with a borrowed newspaper in which you predict a freely chosen word! No gimmicks, totally impromptu, and using a brand new concept in magic.

Review: I received Stop The Presses and had to immediately play the video. The description on the website sounded too good to be true. I mean, totally impromptu, any word in a current borrowed newpaper, and all without gimmicks! Plus, the prediction is made before the spectator even chooses the word! No switches, no nothing. Upon watching the video, I laughed out loud.

The method is quite clever and it is a wonder that this hadn't been invented previously. But apparently, Baker is the first to discover it. The video starts off with a goofy introduction which features Steve Fearson spinning around with a camera pointing at him while he described the effect. Immediately following is an in-depth teaching of the effect.

The teaching is clear and thorough. You will have no trouble understanding everything about the routine. The video quality is fine. It wouldn't pass on a DVD, but since this is a 15 minute online video there is no issue. Everything is still clear regardless. Following the method teaching, Steve talks about some Tips and alternate handlings briefly, which are definitely worth consideration.

The method itself is a great, Criss Angel-style mentalism bit. Everything claimed on the website is 100% true. The method utilized is very clever and definitely has a ton of other possibilities. If you don't find Stop The Presses to be your cup of tea, it is worth it to learn this concept alone. The only issue I have with it is that things might get a little messy, especially on the hands. After a fair amount of practice and control, this should not be an issue.

There is a bit more going on then the spectator knows about but the misdirection for this is unbelievably impossible to fail with. You have all the time in the world to pull off every move necessary for this routine. Stop The Presses is a practical piece for street magic and even a formal mentalism or close-up show. A clever brand new concept combined with a killer mentalism effect, Stop The Presse is definitely worth a look.

Overall I give Stop The Presses by Dustin Baker a 7/10. While it's not perfect, it has potential to be a devastating fooler in your repertoire. This is a great effect to make an impression with. Recommended!

Michael Kras
Follow Michael Kras on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/KrasMagic

Check out The Kras Change at Vanishing Inc Magic! http://www.vanishingincmagic.com/magic-downloads/ebooks/kras-change/
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
Sounds good any other reviews?
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
I guess not the only other reviews I found in other forums were th same one from the same guy
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Well, I think it's a great effect, but perhaps I'm somewhat bias.
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Deputy,

I doubt you'll see many reviews in the next week. Stop the Presses only released a few days ago, so people haven't had time to try it out yet.

Give 'em a little while. I'm sure you'll see a few more by the month's end.
dylan magic
View Profile
Elite user
424 Posts

Profile of dylan magic
Sounds good, can it be done with any newspaper, I live in england so I'm just checking it doesn't have to be done with usa today or something like that?
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
As long as it's made of paper and has news on it, you'll be fine.

I've used a local college newspaper, Contra Costa Times, LA Times, Fresno Bee, and another one that I can't remember the name of.

I expect you to borrow the paper, so being able to use any newspaper was somewhat essential.

On a related note, you could also borrow the sharpie. It doesn't really need to be a sharpie either, any marker will do.
deputy
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1042 Posts

Profile of deputy
Wow sounds real good might have to take the plunge on this
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
I need to make a correction to my last post:

Quote:

It doesn't really need to be a sharpie either, any marker will do.

That's not 100% true. Any sharpie will be fine, but some other markers may have problems. None the less, sharpies are the most common markers; so if you borrow the marker, you'll likely be handed a sharpie anyway.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Ah, Dustin, you are alive. Did you check your Email?
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Yes. Didn't you get my reply? Oh well, I'll just PM it to you then.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Any reviews?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
ritty360
View Profile
Veteran user
McKinney, Texas
392 Posts

Profile of ritty360
Any at all?
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Over 100 sold to date and nobody has anything to add?

Okay.

Does anyone have any questions then?
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Switch ?? If no switch needed Iam sold.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Quote:
On 2007-10-31 02:47, Mariagi wrote:
Switch ?? If no switch needed Iam sold.

"Is there a switch?" - In a sense yes and in a sense no.

No new items enter or exit play at any time, but some "manipulation of circumstance" is involved.
Mariagi
View Profile
Special user
MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
654 Posts

Profile of Mariagi
Thank you for your answer and for your PM to me you have been very straightforward and one could buy your stuff if only for that kind of attitude
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
It's interesting being straightforward while still holding enough back to avoid exposing the method.

It's really quite hard not telling people straight out how to do it, because I'm just so jazzed about creating something that's truely new to magic.
psychicturtle
View Profile
Special user
UK
821 Posts

Profile of psychicturtle
Reading all this I decided I had to take the plunge and get it, after all, $15 isn't much to a working pro.

So I just watched the WMV file you get. And I am very disappointed...that I did not think of this myself!

It is BRILLIANT. So simple and subtle, with SO MANY possible applications. I am very pleased I bought this.

The only negative was that I didn't like some aspects of the actual routine, but that is no problem to anyone with even a little imagination. This new method (and it really is a new method) will be in my next show, in a different way.

Dustin, thank you for releasing this to the community.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
You're welcome, and I'm glad you like it.

I assume that everyone will change a few things about the routine, but the base method is the cool part.

Thanks for your input.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Stop The Presses! by Dustin Baker (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL