The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Stop The Presses! by Dustin Baker (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Profile of THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
Are you going to be selling the Signed Card to Spectator's wallet there too? You have some really ingenious effects. I was extremely improssed with the NEOS CTW. Keep them coming!
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Signed Card To Spectator's Wallet will likely be sold in a pack with a few other tricks if it ever makes it to emagic.

In the mean time, it and several other of my originals are available at my ebay store: http://stores.ebay.com/Dustins-Magic-Shop

Sorry to end the post with a blatant plug, but I'm a performing artist. . . so I need to get the money where I can. Smile
Think inside the box. . . it's less crowded.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

I personally don't like using Ebay. What other effects would you put with the card in wallet?
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Uh,
Money Market (bill to business card, no gimmicks)
With Love (strange things appear on those disgusting little heart candies)

Card to Spectator's Wallet and Money Market are already illustrated (many, many photos), I'm not going to illustrate With Love.

Not sure about a fourth yet.

If you don't like ebay, send me an email and I'll just bill you for the stuff.
dustin@dustinbmagic.com
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Well as fun as it was to stray off topic, does anyone else have questions about "Stop the Presses"?

Any thoughts?
darrylasher
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of darrylasher
Quote:
On 2007-11-02 16:25, dbaker_creator wrote:
Well as fun as it was to stray off topic, does anyone else have questions about "Stop the Presses"?

Any thoughts?

My thoughts / review / whatever you want to call it.

Disclaimer: this is only based on viewing the video. I have not yet performed it, but based on the video I don't see any problem in performing it as instructed.

I'll put the bottom line at the top:
Is it worth the download fee? Yes! If you use the effect as-is, I think you will feel you have gotten your money's worth. I recommend it, for whatever my recommendation is worth.

Now the critique:
I have no problem with paying for a short instructional video. And in fact, I think a lot of the DVDs available now are over-produced to look like a MindFreak show, and padded with 100 audience reactions before even showing the whole effect. JUST GET TO THE POINT!!!!! This video DOES indeed get to the point, which I thought was great. Doug didn't feel any need to build up to the secret or make it more mysterious than necessary in order to convince me I got something worth paying for. This straight forward approach shows respect for the audience. That's a plus!

However, on the minus side, this video was decidedly UNDER-produced. It really could have been done way better with no added expense. Doug: frame yourself better in the viewfinder; set up a floodlight or two; and do a few more takes for a smoother presentation. The respect I felt for not be coddled got swayed back to feeling somewhat disrespected by the lack of production value. I'm not talking about adding music or wacky transitions or weird cuts. I'm just talking about making it as good as you can. This video will (hopefully) be around for a long time, and it's not a good representation of the quality of the effect. (I do freelance work in marketing and design, and one thing I always tell my clients is to make sure EVERYTHING they put out is high quality. It is indeed a reflection on them.) As it is, it looks like a YouTube "exposure" video that teenager would do. (Sorry, Doug and Dustin! Not trying to be mean, just giving "tough love.")

As to the method and the effect. I won't describe it step-by-step here. The link above has a video that does this. Once you see the detailed description, if you've done mentalism for a while, I'm sure you will have a method or two spring to mind right away to accomplish this, especially with the use of a felt-tip marker. So... why buy this, when you already have a way to achieve the same effect? Well, that is a good question.

You can indeed get pretty much the same effect if you want to carry around your own Sharpie for the spectator to use. But in this method, you can use any Sharpie, your own or a borrowed one, or one you just bought from Wal-Mart. And you use the Sharpie to write your prediction before the spectator marks the newspaper. No switches. So, it is a much more straightforward handling than the "other" method. (PM me if you need a reminder of the "other" method.) Also, the spectator can look through the paper before you tear it into pieces. The "other" method would not allow that. But there is a bit of a trade-off for this freedom: you will have to practice the "secret handing" (I won't call it sleight of hand) in order to do it smoothly. But the great part is that the secret handling takes place right under the spectator's nose and it does not at all look suspicious. In fact, he won't even see the secret handling take place even if he is looking right at it. That's due to the "new method" used in this effect.

"New method" is an accurate phrase, I suppose. And it's something you may find other uses for, although I can't think of anything right away. BUT this "new method" is not on par with, say, a TT or utility gimmick that can do multiple things. It's just something that works for this effect and maybe a couple others.

Is it truly impromptu?
I would say it falls into the category of impromptu, but the way Doug first explains it, it does require a minute or two out of sight ahead of time. You don't need the newspaper with you for this part, though. And, if you absolutely do NOT have a chance to have a minute alone ahead of time, you can pretty easily work around that in the time you are gathering a newspaper and talking about what you are going to do. But, there are NO gimmicks. Your alone-time is NOT to create a gimmick or a gaff; it's just to get things in the right place to start the effect. I'm using "gimmick" and "gaff" in its technical sense. I don't want to be dishonest, nor tip the secret, but in your alone-time you do need to put a common item in your pocket with the sharpie, but it's not seen by the audience, nor used in the effect. (If anyone buys this due to the curiosity factor now, I should get cut. I do have a PayPal account, Doug and Dustin!)

So, all in all, to repeat the bottom line:
PLUS: It's a well thought-out routine, which is taught succinctly, and will likely be an impressive addition to your repertoire. It can be done truly impromptu, but is best done with just a minute's preparation.
MINUS: Although it's taught succinctly, the less-than-stellar production value and off-the-cuff explanation of the effect distract from the quality of the routine.
CONCLUSION: It's a good effect and priced right... give it a shot!

-Darryl
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Darryl,

Glad you like it.

1: I was not involved in the filming, so I'm not offended by that.
2: Who's Doug?
3: The guy in the video was Steve Fearson.

By the way, excellent "descriptive but criptic" review. It's tough to talk about things that are this simple without giving it up isn't it.

Thanks for the review. Smile
darrylasher
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of darrylasher
Ha! I got "Doug" in my brain instead of Steve. You can see the similarity of the names.

Yeah... hmmm... ok....

:)
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
I can see the similarity. . .

It's just like a baby rhino.

See, that was easy to explain. Smile
darrylasher
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of darrylasher
Thank you Dustin! FINALLY someone understands me!

Actually, I was multitasking, working on a design project for a client with is a similar last name to Steve's, while I was browsing the Café. His first name got stuck in my mind. Or maybe... I was supernaturally influenced!
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
The closest I come to multitasking is chewing gum while I walk, so I don't have that problem. However, my brain will toss random stuff out there every now and again. . . for example: Has anyone ever told you that you look a bit like Detective Gorin from Law and Order: Criminal Intent?

See, totally random stuff.
THEGUY26 (Will Swanson)
View Profile
Inner circle
Minnesota, USA
2379 Posts

Sort of like Jay Sankey?
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Sankey? ? ?

Nope, I don't see it.
darrylasher
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of darrylasher
Quote:
On 2007-11-06 23:47, dbaker_creator wrote:
The closest I come to multitasking is chewing gum while I walk, so I don't have that problem. However, my brain will toss random stuff out there every now and again. . . for example: Has anyone ever told you that you look a bit like Detective Gorin from Law and Order: Criminal Intent?

See, totally random stuff.

Ha! Nope, no one has told me that. But Timothy Drake asked if my picture was to show off my budget Borg costume for Halloween! Smile

Sankey? Don't see that at all!
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Maybe he meant that the "saying random things that pop into my head" was like Sankey. But as Benjamin Franklin once said, "Jeffereson put down that cursed violin, we're trying to build a nation here!" - it's not my job to tell you how it relates.

"I don't have A.D.D. It's just that. . . Oh look a bunny rabbit!" - Novelty T-shirt.
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Well, now that you've all had a chance to peer into the horrific corners of my mind, did anyone else have any thoughts, questions, or comments about "Stop the Presses"?
darrylasher
View Profile
Regular user
179 Posts

Profile of darrylasher
Gee. Looks like I'm the only one.Smile
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
A few folks on the Penguin Forums have given their 2cents.

"I am very happy with the effect its very fun and easy to perform." -SinMan

"Was my first ever on line purchase and I found it to be one of those- "why didn't I think of that!" tricks, but the execution is superb and definitely worth the $. Will keep them guessing." - brucemri
Dustin Baker
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1001 Posts

Profile of Dustin Baker
Well, anyone else have thoughts on the effect?
Stories of use?
Anything?
mormonyoyoman
View Profile
Inner circle
I dug 5,000 postholes, but I have only
2439 Posts

Profile of mormonyoyoman
Quote:
On 2007-10-19 23:48, Michaelmystic2003 wrote:
The method itself is a great, Criss Angel-style mentalism bit.

Isn't this a contradiction in terms?

*jeep!
--Grandpa Chet
#ShareGoodness #ldsconf
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ebooks, PDF's or Downloads » » Stop The Presses! by Dustin Baker (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.2 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL