The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Daryl, Ammar or Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

clui
View Profile
New user
66 Posts

Profile of clui
I've been hearing much about these 3 peoples Videos and DVDs and I'm just wondering which do you suggest is the best for card magic. I'm just a begginner, and I hope that helps.
Donnay
View Profile
New user
N. Ireland
49 Posts

Profile of Donnay
I have been recommended more Daryl vids.dvds than any other and the majority of write ups seem to say as far as cards go he is up there. buti guess it's down to the person people find things explained by one easier than another.
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
If you want simple and killer tricks, get Ammar. Simplicity is the key my friend...
zeroG
View Profile
Regular user
183 Posts

Profile of zeroG
My opinion is this,
Ammar will give you the most commerical material with great explanations, but his presentation is rather geeky.
Daryl will give you awesome technique, his presentation is fun and not as geeky.
Sankey does not teach the classic commercial tricks, he only teaches his own material. But his material is awesome. His presentation is a little geeky but (IMO) funnier than Ammar and Daryl.
Bottom line:
If you want the classics Ammar & Daryl are the guys to learn it from, if you want fresher stuff go with Sankey.
But I predict that you will end up getting and learning stuff from all of these guys eventually.
gandolf
View Profile
Loyal user
Hillsborough,NC
236 Posts

Profile of gandolf
I did quite a bit of research on this site and others, and came to the conclusion (based on people's responses) Daryl is the way to go for technical learning. As this is what I need right now, I decided to purchase one of his DVD's. I think if you are looking to learn "tricks" and the moves which make them work, you can't go wrong with Ammar, or my favorite, Bill Malone's series. As noted above, Jay Sankey is great, but emphasizes his own stuff. If you are new to cards, get your fundamentals down first.
By the way, don't overlook books..... Smile
Hernan
View Profile
Regular user
San Francisco
126 Posts

Profile of Hernan
I am a big Sankey fan, no doubt.
But Brad Burt has the best teaching deal. He will refund your money if you don't learn the effects.
http://www.nexternal.com/bburt/?Target=p......oryID=18

If you order online put a note in the
box at the end of the order, you can't
miss it, that you want the special $25
one tape price! If you order by phone...just
tell they guy on the phone that you want the special price...no problem!
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Daryl's EOCS Vol 1-8 is awesome (I love all 8 by the way), but should only be purchased on DVD format. To have these on VHS is not practical. DVD brings his encyclopedia to life. It is because of this series that I will now buy a DVD player that holds five disks. I can't wait to have 5 DVD's in at once from Sankey, Ammar and Daryl for example, or 5 DVD’s from the EOCS in the old player so I can kick back over my pad and practice and review a ton of material without the needing to get up and put in a new DVD every so often.

If the price of the series could be somehow made a little more attractive, then there would be no reason for a beginner not to get this set!

I have read many posts that praise the Brad Burt series, but I think that it only out on VHS.

Royal Road $10
Card College 1 & 2 $70
Ammar’s ETMCM Vol 2 $30
Daryl’s EOCS 1-8 $250

That’s $360 bucks on magic and a subscription to Genii is $48 so say around $400 dollars total!!!

Or:
Royal Road and a deck of card for $12 bucks!

Smile
Drive Carefully
alexhui
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong
1954 Posts

Profile of alexhui
zeroG's opinion is enough for those who need to choose among the three. Personally, I think beginner should go for Daryl first. Then he/she should progress to Ammar and Sankey.This way provides you the clear path of what the magic should look like. And the level of difficulty wil increase as you progress.

Alex Smile
To support 100% honest and unbiased reviews: Donate by PayPal

For BRUTALLY HONEST consultation for your upcoming projects, PM me.

YouTube: Alex Magic Review
YouTube: Themis Magic World
Instagram: @AlexMagicReview
Instagram: @ThemisMagic
dillib
View Profile
Elite user
476 Posts

Profile of dillib
Sankey has some easy stuff but he also has difficult tricks. IMHO, he is the most entertaining one out of the 3.
magician_carter
View Profile
New user
79 Posts

Profile of magician_carter
For cards, I would definately go with Daryl. For a mixture, Ammar.
Without Magic, Life is Boring.
rrubin98
View Profile
Veteran user
Cogito, ergo sum scripsit
301 Posts

Profile of rrubin98
Since you're a beginner, I recommend Ammar's Easy to Master Card Miracles series. He demonstrates the requisite sleights on the DVDs. To supplement your knowledge of sleights, I highly recommend Daryl's Encyclopedia of Card Sleights on DVD.

- Richard
Sjiwi
View Profile
New user
Belgium
57 Posts

Profile of Sjiwi
And for what it's worth : Kaufman has a video (and a DVD shortly) "Basic Card Technique", which is about... euhm... basic card techniques Smile
HuronLow
View Profile
Special user
689 Posts

Profile of HuronLow
And one of the BEST resources for basic card technique, well, specifically the double lift, is Gregory Wilson's Double Take video. Greg is one of the best teacher's in my opinion and he never ever fails to produce quality products. This is a must have.

And for you general question,IMO go for Daryl. =p
The T&R Project.
A revolutionary take on the Torn & Restored card.

Available now at www.HuronLow.com
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
My vote is for Ammar's if you want some killer routines that aren't knuckle busters and the bonus tricks are an added treat. You'll definately want to get these on dvd also.

Scott
LeConte
View Profile
Special user
Bay area
830 Posts

Profile of LeConte
Ammar's series does not cover the ever important DL in any real detail so I would get Wilson's Double take and the Ammar series together!
Drive Carefully
Jonatan B
View Profile
Veteran user
Gothenburg, Sweden
342 Posts

Profile of Jonatan B
I would actually buy ETMCM together with "Roberto Giobbi's Card College" Smile
Jonatan Bank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Daryl, Ammar or Sankey (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL