The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What Is Magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Quote:
On 2007-10-24 14:56, Whit Haydn wrote:...There is very little about performing magic that is "natural."

Hmmm, not so sure. You pick up a lost crying child and reassure them things will be okay as you walk them away from the burning building. Then you hand them over to emergency crew telling the child that these people will ...

Affecting the inner worlds of people by act of will rather than by committed substantive resources seems pretty close to what we call magic. How one paints the lies and deceit with colors of context and presumed intention seems outside the moment when magic is done and worthy of its own discussion IMHO
...to all the coins I've dropped here
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
When one does a magic effect one is in different world to the audience, as they see magic and the magician does not. They are in fantasy land and he, the magician, is in the real world. Thus what magic is, is psychotic.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
bottlemaster
View Profile
New user
Nottingham, UK
36 Posts

Profile of bottlemaster
I think magic is so subjective as to be undefinable.
www.impossiblebottle.co.uk

The Impossible - "What nobody can do until someone does"
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
Quote:
On 2010-06-15 15:04, bottlemaster wrote:

Then I don't think you should be doing magic, if you don't know what you are doing.

If it is so subjective, then at least you should know what you are trying to accomplish when you "do magic."
Lawrence O
View Profile
Inner circle
French Riviera
6811 Posts

Profile of Lawrence O
Quote:
On 2010-06-15 15:48, Whit Haydn wrote:
Quote:

Then I don't think you should be doing magic, if you don't know what you are doing.

If it is so subjective, then at least you should know what you are trying to accomplish when you "do magic."

... maybe he can't face what he is doing and needs to call it magic for inner complex reasons
Magic is the art of emotionally sharing live impossible situations
The Burnaby Kid
View Profile
Inner circle
St. John's, Canada
3158 Posts

Profile of The Burnaby Kid
Quote:
On 2010-06-15 16:24, Lawrence O wrote:
Quote:
On 2010-06-15 15:48, Whit Haydn wrote:
Quote:

... maybe he can't face what he is doing and needs to call it magic for inner complex reasons

...maybe one shouldn't be so quick to judge somebody for not offering a pat answer to a complicated question that has plagued magicians in general and the Magic Café in particular to the tune of pages of endlessly circuitous debate.
JACK, the Jolly Almanac of Card Knavery, a free card magic resource for beginners.
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil's Island
16543 Posts

Profile of tommy
"Appearances are of four kinds: things either are as they appear to be; or they neither are nor appear to be; or they are but do not appear to be; or they are not and yet appear to be."

-Epictetus

I think one of them at least must be magic.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » What Is Magic? (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL