The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ring on Rope patter revisited (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
Buy me some newspapers.Purchase for me 1 Gazette and
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
If this post needs to be moved, I understand. However, I wanted to revisit something mentioned about the Ring on Rope patter. In the previous thread, a question was asked about the reason behind doing the moves.

I am conflicted about this issue. On the one hand, we want everything we do to be a logical progression. For every move we do there is a solid reason behind it.

Here is where I have a problem: There is nothing logical about magic, which is why we call it magic. There is no reason why a rope cut in two should all of a sudden be restored into a single length. There is no reason for a 4-inch solid ring to melt through a rope and be released from it. There is no reason why three ropes of differing lengths should all become the same length.

This is one of those areas where I have no hard answers -- only questions.

Bobby
"My definition of chance is my hands on the wheel," Greg Long.
wunceaponatime
View Profile
Loyal user
280 Posts

Profile of wunceaponatime
You need to do things somewhat logically so the spectator can follow your actions and have an understanding of what is happening. If they follow it logically and something illogical occurs that's when they have experienced some magic. You could do the routine silently but then you have to assume the spect. is paying attention to the sequence of events. The patter helps reinforce what they are seeing and also helps keep their attention from drifting. As far as reason, magic can be the reason that the ring penetrates the rope if you explain it that way. Or your story could be some pseudo-scientific reason like the heat of my hand expands the molecules in the ring so it can pass through this rope etc.

David
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
Bobby
Welcome to the magic Café. Are you doing a set routine, or a series of ring, and rope puzzles? Patter to me is meaningless filler words that a magician says to replace music. If you have a complete routine just do a simple narration off the top of your head, and the more you do your routine the more structured your narration will become. The audience response will help you with your timing, and tell where to insert your comedy lines.

You may have to run through your routine lots of times before your verbal presentation (not silly patter) begins to take shape. This way your verbal presentation is will become uniquely you. I think that doing PN, and telling the story of the Chinese noodle factory is hoakey unless you are Chinese.

If your ring, and rope routine is just a series of puzzles I can't help you.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
I'm not going to tip my personal routine because...well because it's mine (not the moves, but the routine).

But I will say that the progression of moves putting the ring on the rope become progressively more impossible, and end with taking the ring OFF the rope magically.

Any other way, as Al points out, makes a ring and rope routine a series of puzzles.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Al,

My post was not because of my ring and rope routine (which I am trying to put together), it was a response to an earlier one. Sometimes I just get a laugh when we feel a need to make everything neat, clean and logical when magic, at its essence, is not.

I did like David's remarks, which helps me put all of this into perspective. (Thanks, David.)

Bobby
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I agree with David's post too. Along with making it very well polished. By all means make it about yourself, or your family, or the area where you live. Perfect your timing, learn where to insert the joke lines, find out what the audience likes.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
erlandish
View Profile
Inner circle
Vancouver, Canada
1254 Posts

Profile of erlandish
Quote:
On 2007-10-22 23:14, robwar0100 wrote:
Here is where I have a problem: There is nothing logical about magic, which is why we call it magic.

That's an oversimplification. There is nothing logical about elves, wizards and trolls. That still doesn't mean we can have our main character pull out a chainsaw in the middle of the Lord of the Rings.
The Jester Extraordinaire : bderland.com
Ye Olde Magick Blogge : erlandish.blogspot.com
Simon Bakker
View Profile
Special user
the Netherlands
587 Posts

Profile of Simon Bakker
You should try to find your own patter as was mentioned before. Your audience will definitly help you with that.

But if you want a good suggestion for patter check out mark Leveridge's routine from the master series. It's on the ring and rope dvd from WGM as well.
Nice solid routine, each phase is more impossible than the other, which is also motivated by the patter. I really like that routine. Very magical, especially compared to other routines.
robwar0100
View Profile
Inner circle
1747 Posts

Profile of robwar0100
Simon,

THanks for the tip. I'll have to put that on my list of things to purchase.

Bobby
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Re: The Mark Leveridge Routine.

Although my routine uses different moves, it was this routine that gave me the presentational basis for my own. It's an excellent source.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4770 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
Using a wedding ring and a velvet cord, I tell a story in verse. It's taught in my new book and performed and taught on the companion DVD and is called Wedding Ring Redux. There are four sequences which are performed in synch with the story line. I find the rhyming helps punctuate the action and draws the audience in, making them care about what you are saying and doing. It's one of my most requested routines. If you have a knack for poetry consider using it as part of your script.

Larry
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Ring on Rope patter revisited (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL