We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Does anyone here own "fickle nickel" (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
View Profile
1988 - 2013
The Big Brother is watching you
1095 Posts

Profile of Strange Tasting Fish Sticks
I recently ordered this effect from John Cornelius's offical website (this IS his website, right? http://www.johncornelius.com/magic.html )

I saw the trick on youtube and got to say it looks AMAZING! Can't wait to get it. I've heard it's quite angly though. I don't think you can perform this surrounded.

For people that own it though, can you perform this trick on the streets? Any tips/pointers? Thanks!
Kevin
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I seem to remember that this was performed on a television program during a magic resurgence in the 70's. It was quite popular for a while. Generally, you can't be surrounded.
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
It is very angly, but from the right angle, it really looks great! It probably plays the best for TV since you can control the angle and there aren't any visible moves.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3387 Posts

Profile of Julie
Doug Henning (I think) is the one who wowed T.V. audiences with this one.

Julie
smithpaul60
View Profile
Veteran user
South Carolina
301 Posts

Profile of smithpaul60
You can get it from hank lee. Good vanish but not practical.
Genuis@work

We're trying to adopt. Visit us HERE
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1060 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
This is one of those effects that can be a miracle if you're willing to devote a lot of time and effort to perfect. It's not really impromptu and your angles are limited... there are hundreds of effects that are more practical and will get a very stong audience reaction. If you have the time to play with it, great. Otherwise, I'd pass on this effect.

PS... this effect is taught by John C. on one of Michael Ammar's Classic Renditions DVDs. It's the one with rubber band magic -
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
NicholasD
View Profile
Inner circle
1460 Posts

Profile of NicholasD
I believe Julie is correct about Doug Henning performing this on TV. At that time, it seemed as though every time he did a pocket trick on a talk show it became the rage for a while. He performed a quarter in a nest of boxes which was a dealer item and suddenly everyone wanted one.
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

It looks so awesome! is it something I can do on the street as long as I'm not surrounded? I can't wait to get it and find out the secret!
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27088 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Hint, rather than simply run a line, put a loop on a line and then you have less angles and some more options. Smile
...to all the coins I've dropped here
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Quote:
On 2007-10-24 22:42, Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Hint, rather than simply run a line, put a loop on a line and then you have less angles and some more options. Smile

EDIT SORRY
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4856 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
As I recall, Doug Henning perfomed it LIVE as an opening effect on one of his TV specials. That took guts! He showed his hand empty and made the nickel appear. He then inserted it into a jukebox or some other vending machine to start the show.

Larry
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27088 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Larry, as best I recall it, he took started with the nickle on his hand, did the JohnC trick then changed it into a jumbo coin and that large coin went in the jukebox.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
cardlover
View Profile
Regular user
149 Posts

Profile of cardlover
I got this but the set up kept me from doing it.
Larry Barnowsky
View Profile
Inner circle
Cooperstown, NY where bats are made from
4856 Posts

Profile of Larry Barnowsky
John,
You're right about the jumbo coin. I don't remember how he produced it. I thought it was a nickel production but it could have been a vanish first. Either way he did it perfectly. I may still have a videotape of it.

Larry
View Profile
1988 - 2013
1095 Posts

Mr.Cornelius told me the secret to the trick when I bought it. All I know is the secret, not how to set it up or anything. Without revealing too much, generally with these type of tricks with playing cards are a huge pain in the $$#! to set up. Is this trick a real pain to set up?

Or is it easy to set up?
cardlover, you said you bought this trick but the setup caused you not to use it? Is it that bad? It looks awesome on camera. I'm going to practice this trick to death when I get it....as long as I don't break it.

Someone please PM me who owns this trick about the setup.
All help appreciated,

Thanks,
Kevin
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Trick coin trickery » » Does anyone here own "fickle nickel" (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL