The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Strike or Push Off Bottom Deal? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1097 Posts

Profile of James F
Just wondering what the general opinion was on these two methods of bottom dealing. Do most experts prefer one over the other or is it strictly individual with a good amount of people doing both? Or is it situational? It seems to me that a push off would have much more room for flashing than a strike. There isn't any finger movement from a buckle in a strike bottom.

I'm working on the strike bottom because I find it much easier than a push off. But if most feel a push off is more deceptive, I'll switch now before putting too much time into an inferior method. Thanks.

James
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1436 Posts

Profile of jcards01
Purely a matter of individual taste. While the PUSH is considered the better technique over a STRIKE whether it be seconds or bottoms, it still comes down with what makes you feel more comfortable.

If you try a PUSH, the fingers should move as a unit freeing up the bottom card and moving it ever so slightly to the right. There is no flash. Not like in the older techniques where the fingers actually buckled and pushed the card out.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
daniel1113
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of daniel1113
I prefer strike bottoms deals. However, to do any one-handed or stud bottoms, I've found that it is pretty much necessary to do some sort of push-out. So, I work on both, but my real bottom deal is a strike.
Daniel M. Carrico
splice
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1256 Posts

Profile of splice
In Darwin Ortiz's "Annotated Erdnase", you will find the following:

Quote:
[Erdnase] makes no mention of the strike second deal, the most popular method today, and he teaches only a push-out bottom deal rather than the "take" approach favored by present-day base dealers in order to avoid finger flash.

Although I should say that I consider what I do to be a strike bottom, it is inspired by Turner's See-Saw bottom and seems to match up with Jimmy's description of what he considers a push-out deal. I certainly find it better than a strike technique with no freeing action, and the risk of catching air is much smaller.
James F
View Profile
Inner circle
Atlanta
1097 Posts

Profile of James F
Thanks for all the responses. I got just what I wanted out of the thread. I'll keep pursuing the strike bottom for now. I'm sure I'll change methods as time goes on, but it should be fine for now. Much appreciated.

James
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » Strike or Push Off Bottom Deal? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL