The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "Mind, Myth, And Magick" by T. A. Waters (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
tuffnavyrn
View Profile
Inner circle
San Diego, CA
1239 Posts

Profile of tuffnavyrn
There isn't enough to be said about this book. Buy it, love it and live it.
Brian-
"That smart thing that somebody else said".
Gerry Hennessey
View Profile
Special user
855 Posts

Profile of Gerry Hennessey
It's a classic, period.

Hennessey
"Every discipline effects every other discipline. You can't straighten out the corporation if your closet is a mess" Jim Rohn

GerryHennessey.com
Nash
View Profile
Inner circle
Hong Kong ~ USA
1084 Posts

Profile of Nash
I just started doing mentalism this year and let me tell you something, one of the effect is so strong that it goes straight to my opener. The result was a thunderous applause which is quite uncommon in Mentalism reactions.
Go get the book, you won't be disappointed.
Don't give up, don't EVER give up.

Corporate event magician
ElliottB
View Profile
Inner circle
3200 Posts

Profile of ElliottB
Which effect?
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
It looks like I'm the lone dissenter as far as opinion on this book goes.

I read this book after I read "Practical Mental Effects" and "13 Steps" because I was told it was the next logical piece of reading material.

I didn't like it because the attitude of the author came across to me as one of overbearing condescension and made the book almost a chore to read. It probably also didn't help that I read this book right after watching Richard Osterlind's MIND MYSTERIES DVDs. Mr. Waters persona may have suffered when contrasted with that of the accessible, regular-guy Mr. Osterlind.
ferryascanio
View Profile
Loyal user
Jakarta - Indonesia
265 Posts

Profile of ferryascanio
Don't think and talk anymore, just buy the book ...
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
467 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
Mind Guerilla,

I appreciate the dissent. Aside from the attitude that you found problematic, how would you rate or catagorize the material, particularly relative to 13 Steps and PMM? TIA

-Feral
Mind Guerrilla
View Profile
Inner circle
Queens, NY
2661 Posts

Profile of Mind Guerrilla
Quote:
On 2007-11-21 11:44, Feral Chorus wrote:
Mind Guerilla,

I appreciate the dissent. Aside from the attitude that you found problematic, how would you rate or catagorize the material, particularly relative to 13 Steps and PMM? TIA

-Feral

The main difference is that MIND, MYTH & MAGICK is not an introduction to mentalism a la PRACTICAL MENTAL EFFECTS or 13 STEPS TO MENTALISM. MIND, MYTH & MAGICK presupposes the reader has knowledge of basic mentalims methods.

I did appreciate the many effects using tarot cards. I'm not overly fond of mentalism effects involving playing cards.

For those of you who liked the book, there is a VHS tape from Stevens Magic Emporium whereon Mr. Waters performs and explains the following effects:

No/No
Clubble
Curryous
Crimson Count
AdamSmyth
Signse
Zodiaccount
In2ition
Countact
Lenormand's Legacy
MuTarot
Quintasense

The Video is called:
THE GREATER MAGIC VIDEO LIBRARY Volume 54
T.A. WATERS MIND, MYTH & MAGICK
rhone
View Profile
New user
12 Posts

Profile of rhone
With the osterlind version sell by Penguin , on the newspaper prediction, few weeks ago , I re read the chapter on newspaper test. And I re-work the x-positions effect. Wow , thihking that 10 years ago I have done it in cabaret and forget about it....Sometime having a little time on the hand it's good, and you re-descover the treasure you got on your shelf.
CartoucheNL
View Profile
New user
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
35 Posts

Profile of CartoucheNL
There is one for sale (in the for sale section on the left) on www.magicweek.co.uk for only 100 pounds. I already have and cherish it, otherwise I would have never posted this, but got it myself.
CartoucheNL
View Profile
New user
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
35 Posts

Profile of CartoucheNL
Look for date november 7th
MERose
View Profile
New user
Maryland
50 Posts

Profile of MERose
In the book Waters gives a very clever routine that uses a Ring Flight but doesn't use a ring. It is excellent thinking.
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6420 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2020, MERose wrote:
In the book Waters gives a very clever routine that uses a Ring Flight but doesn't use a ring. It is excellent thinking.

Yes. That's one of the many cool ideas in that book. The effect you are talking about is one that's been on my mind for decades. That's one of about six or so books that I reread once a year. Every time I do that I get some other idea from it.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Topper2
View Profile
New user
94 Posts

Profile of Topper2
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2020, Greg Arce wrote:
It's one of about six or so books that I reread once a year.

Wow! It takes me about a year just to read it once, if I was to read it every year I'd have no time to read anything else!
Greg Arce
View Profile
Inner circle
6420 Posts

Profile of Greg Arce
Quote:
On Dec 20, 2020, Topper2 wrote:
Quote:
On Dec 18, 2020, Greg Arce wrote:
It's one of about six or so books that I reread once a year.

Wow! It takes me about a year just to read it once, if I was to read it every year I'd have no time to read anything else!

I'm a very fast reader. Plus I do skim through stuff that I know is not my style, but I always briefly read it just in case there's a nugget I've missed. I count the many times that I looked at something in that book and passed it over then a year or so later it hits me as a perfect thing to play with.

Greg
One of my favorite quotes: "A critic is a legless man who teaches running."
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17633 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I have one of these for sale if anyone is interested. I haven't posted it yet. Must go to good home. Comes from a smoke free environment.... Smile Smile Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Books, Pamphlets & Lecture Notes » » "Mind, Myth, And Magick" by T. A. Waters (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.29 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL