The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The easy way cooler. (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15821 Posts

Profile of tommy
Quote:

The "Cold Deck" is a pre-arranged pack that is introduced at an opportune moment. The cards are not marked, but two or more hands are set up ready for dealing. The name is probably derived from the fact that the deck must await its opportunity long enough to contract a chill in the interim. Little skill is required in making the exchange. It is almost invariably done quite openly, and in company where the attendants and players are in collusion. In most gaming rooms the decks are exchanged every hour or less. Sometimes the players will call for a new deck, but usually the exchange is made at the instance of the management. When the "cold deck" is sprung a "blind" shuffle is made by the dealer, a "blind" cut by an ally, and the hands fall in the desired order. Of course an exchange may be made by sleight-of-hand, but the player who can accomplish this feat successfully is generally well versed in the higher orders of card-table artifice, and will dispense with such makeshifts as "cold decks" or any kind of prepared cards.

Erdnase

Having looked at many cold deck moves at the end of the day I wonder what is wrong with doing it the easy way, using the little skill exchange method as detailed above.

I was just thinking: In a nine handed Hold’em game you could hit them twice with a double cooler. I mean your dealing exactly an half deck cooler, 26 cards, which leaves you with a 26 card stub. Now that 26 card stub could be another cooler set for the next hand. I think it would be worth it just to see the look on their faces. Smile Perhaps more subtle would be not to deal a cooler in the first 26 but use the stub cooler on the next.

In any event do you guys have any tips on this Erdnase little skill method, that is any little subtlety that might help?
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
Clock
View Profile
Elite user
Los Angeles, CA
461 Posts

Profile of Clock
Tommy,

Nothing is wrong with doing it the easy way. A nice touch is to wrap the box back up in it's cellophane. I've been to so many games where you could even take the deck under the table and start sorting cards and no one will turn an eye...pull up your chair, throw in the cooler. I'd rather not do it that way, but everone knows that anything can happen in a loose game.

But I feel kicking in a deck on the cut/on the suckers deal is ten times more powerful than the "easy way". This smells less like a cooler and leaves the sucker with nothing to think but "...that some was bad luck".

I have done the 26/26 cooler, but it tended to leave everyone uneasy and suspicious. The single cooler is designed to end the game. You could do a half deck 'soft' cooler, half deck 'harsh' cooler. This works if you are with a partner or you are the dealer.

Best,

Clock
Grant Carden

www.fastcompanydvd.com
Expertmagician
View Profile
Inner circle
2484 Posts

Profile of Expertmagician
Clock,

I sort of agree with you....But, I would suggest switching the "sealed" deck for a marked deck VERY EARLY on (actually BEFORE you start)...that way you can use it for your entire performance Smile

Then at the end of the show, I would switch in a cooler, which not only wins, but, leaves an unmarked deck with the host Smile

Just a thought !

PS: In the old days, people have been known to sell cards cheap or actualy switch decks in a local store. That way people are buying pre-marked decks and no switch is necessary Smile
Long Island,

New York
Ron Conley
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of Ron Conley
The idea of both the double and delayed cooler have been kicked around, but I do not know of it actually happening. Surely it must have happened somewhere, as many games as there are today.

Hold’em seems like it was made for these type of scams using just 26 cards for a full game. Cut the cards dead center in Hold’em and the bottom card becomes the river, how convenient. Throw in letting the two halves sit out there for a few seconds so one the dealers partners in either the one or nine seat can do a visual comparison of the half’s, off by one and it’s 25/27 a two card difference reasonably easy to see even with a slight adjustment for the cut card.

I have seen the easy way cold deck in action in a private game. It went like this, the host sat next to a telephone table with a drawer where the decks were kept. All the decks had a secret mark on the box denoting the number of players the deck was for. The false shuffler sat to the host right, decks would be changed on his deal. To his right was the cutter. The game was 7 Stud which can be tricky to make coolers for if you don’t know what you’re doing. Winning hands were dealt to both the cutter and host, never the shuffler.

Most of these coolers were “low heat” no big hands got beat. Two pair or trips would stand up against some big draws; maybe the winner would foolishly draw to a small straight in a bad spot make it and win. The heaver ones were for short handed near the end of the game, but nobody got any full houses or better beat. Nothing to remember the next day, just a lot of “must play hands” that never came.

Regards, Ron
Andrei
View Profile
Veteran user
Romania
353 Posts

Profile of Andrei
Ron,

Sounds really interesting, thanks for sharing!

Andrei
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15821 Posts

Profile of tommy
Ron

Top class! How convenient indeed. Thank you kindly sir.
If there is a single truth about Magic, it is that nothing on earth so efficiently evades it.

Tommy
tommy
View Profile
Eternal Order
Devil’s Island
15821 Posts

Profile of tommy
In my game we use Kems and normally I open a couple of decks at the start of play and they are just sorted and rotated as the dealers alternate and change over. The thing is though they are sorted in new order and spread each time so that is a problem in such games if we use this so called little skill method. May get away with forgetting to spread perhaps.

Also this little skill method does require one to blind shuffle and cut skilfully. So nothing is easy is it boys. Smile

Tommy
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The Gambling Spot » » The easy way cooler. (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL