The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..29~30~31 [Next]
Yuji
View Profile
Regular user
Japan
138 Posts

Profile of Yuji
"Killer Red Cap" in my drawer already one year and now Protocol 153.51 have joined.
FTAMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of FTAMagician
Like I told Mike Close when he lectured for our magic ring a few years ago (we were all talking about great ads and poor effects!!)....it'd be great if somebody put out a book with the origional ads...and then a review of what it actually was that you recieved and how you were supposed to make it work!!!

In other words...the best of "GREAT ads!!!...POOR magic" over the years...or something like that!!

Now, I'd BUY a book like that!!!
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
Good idea FTA!
I am writing a book like it! You may send your cheque to pre-order one now! I am afraid it will be out of print soon!
Only 100000000 limited. And of course, I will sign them.
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
rmoraleta
View Profile
Special user
Philippines
767 Posts

Profile of rmoraleta
I must say Killer Red Caps is garbage. But it was advertised as if it is a really great effect.
dannydaniels
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of dannydaniels
I thought what would it be like to sucker magicians like some have done with Sketched Reality, Reality Twister, Matrix 2003, and the rest of the junk…

I wanted to make the "S.O.D. Coins to Glass" ad. First, if you print S.O.D. very large in the ad & everyone will wonder what that means (because we all know ATFUS, PATEO force, etc.- so what can this SOD mean?!?!?). These little abbreviations are very tempting to know. Then on top of that, I wanted to advertise two versions of the S.O.D. Coins to Glass: version 1 is with special gimmick and four half dollars, and version 2 is with the special gimmicked vest! I knew that with these hooks, I'd rake in the dough. Version 1 would sell for $100, and version 2 (with the vest — yeah) for $250.

What do you get in reality? Version 1: four coins and matching s***l. Version 2: same four coins and s***l, plus a vest with a cheap cardboard re-inforced breast pocket to ditch the last coin. And what does the S.O.D. mean (to feed your curiosity)? Why it means Same Old Darn (mildly put) Coins To Glass! Man, I could have raked in the dough, especially with some clever text: "no magnets, no palming, special gimmick does it all, vest increases performance, etc." — but I ain't that kind of guy. (But it is a tempting thought - my own MagicUnlimited.com sounds good, too!)

Bottom line: stay away from TRICKS, read books, study, originate, and only buy after you read this thread.
I'm not confused... I just don't know yet.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
I have to agree on Killer Red Caps & Reality Twister. For some reason both of these effects received much hype and great reviews. Kind of makes me not read reviews anymore.Both were definitely a big disappointment and both obtained a nice spot in the drawer of never do magic...One other I just recalled was Phantom at the Fingertips, a coin effect distributed by Paul Diamond in the 70's, you had to have a cable resembling a bicycle brake cable run up your arm, over the shoulders and down the other arm.I traded that trick as soon as I opened it.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
Mehtas
View Profile
Inner circle
England, UK
1649 Posts

Profile of Mehtas
if you go thru some of the worst trick threads you'll find "Killer Red Caps" MANY times. The only way I've found use for them is to store small rubberbands and safty pins.

Magicians get kinda suckered and think it must be some sort of Scientific Breakthrough Smile when the ads says it took YEARS to develope these kind of tricks.

I am glad this thread has come up again and just hope it keeps on going.
latercer
View Profile
New user
france(i am takeing a course in N.Y)
28 Posts

Profile of latercer
Because of the high price, I would choose TIMETRIX
misterillusion
View Profile
Special user
Roseville, California
748 Posts

Profile of misterillusion
Appearing Cell Phones > > > >went right to my bottom drawer.
May every day be magic!

http://www.misterillusion.com
cardfreakhk
View Profile
Special user
Hong Kong SAR
585 Posts

Profile of cardfreakhk
What is the Killer Red Caps?
I am lucky, I never heard of it before.
Don't just dream, stay awake and action!
runawayjag
View Profile
Inner circle
1085 Posts

Profile of runawayjag
High price on Timetrix? Try a real Stull Watch at $1,000 plus! Same trick. I think Timetrix is way underpriced as a Stull Watch in a wristwatch has always been a very desirable item. But, to each his own.

Also, Phantom at the Fingertips, like many props. looked absolutely GREAT when the originator performed it. I saw him baffle a roomful of knowledgeable coin people with it. But, a lot of people didn't want to bother with the set up or the practice. Like I said, to each his own.
Rennie
View Profile
Inner circle
I think I have about
1822 Posts

Profile of Rennie
Quote:
On 2004-09-01 16:37, cardfreakhk wrote:
What is the Killer Red Caps?
I am lucky, I never heard of it before.

You are more lucky you never purchased it. Killer Red Caps are actually tops off cans of WD40, an object placed under one of the caps by a spectator you are able to tell which cap is hiding the object ( if your surface is light enough ). Really a disappointment believe me.
Rennie
The effect is the important thing, how you achieve it is not.......
MentaThought
View Profile
Special user
615 Posts

Profile of MentaThought
Quote:
On 2004-09-01 09:51, Rennie wrote:

I have to agree on Killer Red Caps & Reality Twister. For some reason both of these effects received much hype and great reviews. Kind of makes me not read reviews anymore.Both were definitely a big disappointment and both obtained a nice spot in the drawer of never do magic

As a purchaser of Killer Red Caps I have actually seriously considered that this
"effect" (if it even deserves to be called that) might have been an "inside joke" along the lines of, "Let's market the most LAME effect imaginable accompanied by the most over-the-top hype imaginable as an 'inside joke' and see how many people fall for it."

Quote:
On 2004-08-31 20:28, FTAMagician wrote:

Like I told Mike Close when he lectured for our magic ring a few years ago (we were all talking about great ads and poor effects!!)....it'd be great if somebody put out a book with the original ads...and then a review of what it actually was that you received and how you were supposed to make it work!!!

I'd be interested to hear Mr. Close's response, considering how he gave Killer Red Caps a glowing written review.
Did you get a chance to mention KRC specifically to him? What'd he say?
"A good mentalist ... will teach you a miracle because he understands the subtleties ..." -- Banachek

"If this works it'll be BEAUTIFUL!" - The Amazing Kreskin on a stunning effect he performed on his 1970s television series (PS: it worked)
FTAMagician
View Profile
Loyal user
291 Posts

Profile of FTAMagician
I didn't think about it at the time...I was busy showing him something I "invented"...and he LIKED it!!! I've since completly changed the method.

I'm getting ready to re-release it with a more streamlined gimmick...this time the signed, perfectly folded, card ends up sealed inside an Alka-Seltzer packet!!!

Gotta check with the company to make sure it's okay to use that...if not, the old "taped together small business cards" will still work!!
Markymark
View Profile
Inner circle
1691 Posts

Profile of Markymark
One of my worst buy's was 'Burning Thoughts'.Asking the spectator to do confusing math's BEFORE he counted to a word on the lighter was'nt mentioned in the ad copy.
''In memory of a once fluid man,crammed and distorted by the classical mess'' -Bruce Lee
sileeni uk
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of sileeni uk
[quote]On 2003-02-19 23:16, Doomo wrote:
Switch-a-Roo...it was a piece o' junk. A piece of PVC piping and some fishing line. Gah!

I usually stick to the basics like shells, gaffed cards and the occasional TT. Hard to get burned with those, unless you are talking about coins by Sasco. More junk.

your obviously one of those people who rip open the packet that they just got through the post, look at the gimmick, discover what it is, barely look at the routine, obviously have never bothered performing it for real people (and no your mum doesn't count)and if you have, you must have done it badly.because switch a roo is a great gimmick, if used well, in the right routine.it is not the content of the trick but what you do with it. man it annoys me when people do that .(nothing personal to you doomo, it just so happens I saw your post first.lol

Posted: Sep 5, 2004 8:23pm
O I forgot to add.. gaffed cards are not basic. basic is doing what me and my closest friends do best , entertain a crowd for 20 mins or more, using just a deck of cards , our own wit, an sleights that we have painstakingly learnt. thank you ..
magic is an art.admire others work, if you do not understand it, do NOT slag it off.
Chris C.
View Profile
New user
72 Posts

Profile of Chris C.
The worst trick I ever bought was Sack X for $75.
jimesw
View Profile
Special user
675 Posts

Profile of jimesw
I'm so intrigued about killer red caps. In a sick sort of way I want to own it to see how bad it really is.

jimesw
sileeni uk
View Profile
New user
17 Posts

Profile of sileeni uk
Killer red caps is I'm afraid to see quite terrible, the effect is ok in theory however it is both a boring routine , with no punch to it. and the method ,, well , what can I say.. if this trick was to be released it should never have been released as a marketed solo effect, maybe in a set of notes or a video.. for those of you that own it have a look inside the caps for a bit of a laugh, look what is printed in them. diy store comes into mind.
magic is an art.admire others work, if you do not understand it, do NOT slag it off.
M. Perk
View Profile
Loyal user
Hilton Head Island
292 Posts

Profile of M. Perk
Penomenon
The most money I ever spent on a Bic pen.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..7..11..15..19..20~21~22~23~24..29~30~31 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL