The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..28~29~30~31 [Next]
Killed_CZ
View Profile
Regular user
Czech republic, Prague
173 Posts

Profile of Killed_CZ
About seven years ago, I guess, I was thinking about how the David Copperfield made the steam / fog in his hands when putting together the baseball card in his TV special Smile On one czech "magic shop" I found something that was described as :

You put little on your thumb and when you wish you simply heat that with other finger by little pressure and then magicaly apears SMOKE.

It sounds cool and amazing .. it was small tube, about 3$ price and that great efect Smile ... well .. in fact ... when opened ... it was horibble stink. No mather .. magician must get over Smile then I pressed fingers and .... they were fixed together little bit ... one more press .. another ... another .. both of my fingers get black and dirt Smile ...

I called the Magic Studio (the shop) and I was told that ... when .. press and release .. press and release ... then some fibres will be done and while waving the hand it will look like a SMOKE Smile

Worst think I have never bought .. no mather money .. but ... it was so impractical and only to bee seen from few inches Smile

By the way .. does anybody know how to do fog or smoke without using the big apparatus or cigaret Smile ? ( also don't tell me wait till winter and try to exhale hot air from your mouth as one my friend told me Smile )
Whit Haydn
View Profile
V.I.P.
5449 Posts

Profile of Whit Haydn
The spirit gum trick "smoke trick" you are speaking of is one of the first I ever learned. It actually looks pretty good when done right.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
The worst trick I ever bought is a great trick. It's the worst one I ever bought because I never perform it, and probably never will. It's not right for the places I do magic or the type of magic I do. So in that sense it was a waste of money.

You can actually get a decent illusion from "mystic smoke", but the stuff is messy.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Killed_CZ
View Profile
Regular user
Czech republic, Prague
173 Posts

Profile of Killed_CZ
Well .. so it must be "after expiration date" tube in my case Smile
Geraldo78
View Profile
New user
Netherlands
16 Posts

Profile of Geraldo78
Quote:
On 2004-04-24 00:14, Fraser Gould wrote:
Two of the worst props I have ever bought both came from Dave Powell (is that name spelled right?).

His newspaper seance gimmick was so poorly made, I couldn't give it away (yes, I did try to unload it on some friends).

His card case fountain arrived in the mail in pieces - the glue had come undone in transit. I fixed that, but the motor on the prop wasn't strong enough to ever shoot the cards out with any consistency. A couple of days after receiving it, the wheel that shoots out the cards came flying off the motor.

Two cases of a really great idea but shoddy workmanship.

Thank you for this post, Fraser Gold!!
Has consider to buy this cardfountain, because can use it into my hand.
And its cheaper as the other cardfountains.

But, now I will not buy this trash.
Dale
View Profile
New user
29 Posts

Profile of Dale
I know this is an old topic but it sure is informative....and funny! Funny because we're all suckered (to varying degrees) by an avalanche of these "incredible" new releases daily.

I am no exception. I purchased Protocol 153.51 off the net thinking it was going to be the greatest thing in history. Flushing my money down the toilet would have given me greater pleasure! IMHO it is impractical, unreliable and not at all user friendly (especially not to the spectator). Another poor decision was to purchase Impossible Devination. Did this effect really get by every magician and journalist who ever saw it, as the ad says? Maybe it's just me........but I seriously doubt it.

On a positive note, I did attempt to purchase Braco's Floating Ball a number of years ago (which would not have been a wise decision, according to soooo many members on this thread!). I had met a reasonably famous magician/internet magic proprietor at a convention and contacted him about the purchase. To his credit, as I had already placed the order and given my credit details, he contacted me to say that he couldn't and wouldn't sell this "monstrosity" to me (his word). I owe him a huge debt of thanks.

To put this topic into perspective, I wish these duds weren't inflicted upon us, but I guess they're all a part of the learning curve.
Guardian452
View Profile
Loyal user
Los Angeles
235 Posts

Profile of Guardian452
I have to say Gutbuster is my worst buy

the gimmick is too big and bulky (in my opinion)

and only fits a certain number of people

Ill be making my own smaller gimmick so I can perform this
Been a busker since I was 14 from San Diego; Don Driver was my mentor along with many others like Jimmy Talksalot, Sleeveless (Stephen Sloan), Bob Elliott.
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
There is one very obvious point being made in this thread. We have all made purchasing mistakes over the years. My question is "what should we do with those items"? We could attempt to sell them on e-bay, but if we didn't like them maybe no one else likes them either. We wouldn't want to deceive another buyer. We could give them away to another performer or a local club for performers. We could just package them up and sell them for a pittance to one of the few organizations that buy used magic. Or we could just throw them in the garbage and forget about it. I have done all of the above except e-bay. The others all worked to a certain degree. Personally I am at the stage now where I would feel deceitful trying to sell my mistakes. I realize that one man's junk could be another's treasure but for my own peace of mind I'm tired of looking at the stuff and the last stop will be the garbage man. I have enough effects to last me the rest of my life. Of course, I'll be tempted by all the latest advertisements but that's what got me into trouble to begin with. There will be no more purchases of the latest miracles for me. Thank you.
Lash
View Profile
Regular user
Lansing, MI
161 Posts

Profile of Lash
Years ago I purchased a stupid gimmick to produce cards from thin air. Definately worth learning the sleights instead of using this dumb piece of junk. Also I got this rising wand once. It wasn't worth it either.
CAROLINI
View Profile
Special user
607 Posts

Profile of CAROLINI
A very interesting website http://www.25offmagic.com. They tell you what's bad and why and what's good and why. Yes, it is just one opinion but well worth considering.
Bertrand Thornley
View Profile
Loyal user
Tampa, FL
278 Posts

Profile of Bertrand Thornley
The worst trick I bought was the Hover Grandmother. Not only did the ad fail to tell me the grandmother wasn't included; mine had just died merely a week previously. Not only did I feel ripped off but also sad, but more ripped off. Double wammy! Dealers suck.
"Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business." Tom Robbins

Personal Revelation: I'm not a hippopotamus
Mumblemore
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Mumblemore
Lounghran's Elevator was terrible. I've heard he produces good illusions, but this one was a dog. . .
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2007-08-31 02:49, Bertrand Thornley wrote:
The worst trick I bought was the Hover Grandmother. Not only did the ad fail to tell me the grandmother wasn't included; mine had just died merely a week previously. Not only did I feel ripped off but also sad, but more ripped off. Double wammy! Dealers suck.

What about grandpa's Hover?
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
gardini
View Profile
Regular user
Cornwall, Ontario, Canada
158 Posts

Profile of gardini
Cris angel's masterminds vol 2. Just bad effect way over priced. Must be the second worst thing I got. The first thing was from mondo magic a dealer on ebay sold close up tricks buy the lot claiming that they were professional quailtiy, but unfortantly they were all cheap plastic rip offs of tricks I ended up giving them to my kids to play around with.

Scott
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2007-08-28 11:56, CAROLINI wrote:
A very interesting website http://www.25offmagic.com. They tell you what's bad and why and what's good and why. Yes, it is just one opinion but well worth considering.

The website link does not work..
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
dpe666
View Profile
Inner circle
2895 Posts

Profile of dpe666
Quote:
On 2007-07-01 13:31, Guardian452 wrote:
I have to say Gutbuster is my worst buy

the gimmick is too big and bulky (in my opinion)

and only fits a certain number of people

Ill be making my own smaller gimmick so I can perform this

If it was such a bad buy, why are you taking the time making a smaller gimmick so you can still perform this illusion? Smile
ghostpianist
View Profile
Loyal user
274 Posts

Profile of ghostpianist
When I first started with magic I used to buy a lot of single effects from Penguin and Elusionist. The tricks aren't all that bad but later turned out to be not worth the money. With the same amount of money you can probably buy some nice books with 10 times as many tricks.
MagicianDM
View Profile
Loyal user
213 Posts

Profile of MagicianDM
Quote:
On 2004-08-01 18:59, DrNorth wrote:
A coin and mirror effect called Eclipse, by I think Tenyo. Back in the mid to late eighties some genius came out with a pure slight effect called Twilight I believe, it was a two sided pocket mirror and you supplied 4 coins, in the US $0.50 pieces are recommended, in short you have one coin and one mirror, through a series of slights coins multiplied, imaged coins turned over after the "real" one was turned over a brilliant effect. Tenyo came out with a purely mechanical version that looked, well mechanical. I have found that most Tenyo effects are a weird plastic box that can be nothing but a gimmicked thing, as it resembles no actual thing anyone would own. (But many effects have that failing IMHO) how many round boxes with holes for nails does one see? Esp a plastic box with plastic nails. It's why I got into bazzare, I can buy props on ebay or a flea market, and whiel they may look odd, at least its something that someone may have seen in their lives.

Eclipse is the best gimmicked trick I know! It's genius and the audience have 0% of figuring this out! And it's well made, will last a life time! And it's visual! And it's made of good type of plastic, it wont break.
The ultimate, most visual and practical ambitious card routine finisher - HERE!
Mr. Mystoffelees
View Profile
Inner circle
I haven't changed anyone's opinion in
3623 Posts

Profile of Mr. Mystoffelees
Quote:
On 2007-10-06 11:56, evolve629 wrote:
Quote:
On 2007-08-28 11:56, CAROLINI wrote:

The website link does not work..

http://www.25offmagic.com/ SEEMS TO WORK NOW ...
Also known, when doing rope magic, as "Cordini"
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-10-30 02:30, ghostpianist wrote:
When I first started with magic I used to buy a lot of single effects from Penguin and Elusionist. The tricks aren't all that bad but later turned out to be not worth the money. With the same amount of money you can probably buy some nice books with 10 times as many tricks.

well said. You might want to read this as well . . .

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......um=41&29

Andy
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Food for thought » » Worst Trick You Have Purchased (3 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..8..13..18..23..28~29~30~31 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.05 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL